Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 PM

9 posts, read 17,597 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am 23 years old.. I grew up in Long Island.. currently reside in SoCal for the past year. I miss the ny vibe, specifically ny personalities.. I lovee NYC.

I will attend Baruch.. Ideally, I'd love to live in Manhattan but my budget is ~ 1k a month looking to sublet as a roomate.

About me:
I am white, very open minded, but at the same time would personally prefer not to be a minority in my new location. I like to party (not every single night) but am more of a bar guy than a club guy. Conversely I don't necessarily like the whole frat boy atmosphere. I'd love to be able to watch a Monday night football game drink beer and eat good wings in my own neighborhood. I'm not a hipster but I'm not a conservative.. I lean more towards the hipster side if anything (Liberal views just not an extremist). I will have no car so public transpo is a must. What attracted to me to SoCal was the beauty, so I don't want to relocate to a total dump. I'd love to be surrounded by cool places to eat, bars, and an aesthetically pleasing atmosphere if at all possible.

What are some places that would be good for me to look into? Is Manhattan as a roomate @ 1k possible? Astoria seems okay but I havent really seen many pictures of it. How woudl that fit me? Williamsburg sounds cool but looks kind of ugly (seen limited pics) and may possibly be too artsy?(ie. sports <3) The brownstones of BK seem reallyyy nice, but is the nightlife and my demographic there? If so where? Very confused and quite embarrassing for someone who grew up in the region!

Thanks all.

Last edited by p0cketaces; 06-06-2008 at 01:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
If you find Williamsburg ugly then I doubt your opinion on Astoria would be any different. However, I do recommend Astoria Heights [northern section of the neighborhood].

Old 06-06-2008, 11:56 AM

thanks Doom.. is everything i'm looking for short walking distance from upper astoria?

more help guys!!

cliffnotes:
-23 years old
-going to school @ Baruch
-1k a month budget, looking to be a roomate
-Want to be surrounded by shops, cafes, bars, decent beauty and my demographic
-Liberal but not an extremist or hipster, like going to a bar, having a few beers, watching a game, etc
-Want to know if Manhattan is possible
-If not where in Queens BK fits me?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:25 PM

112 posts, read 649,180 times
well if you are considering queens, most of the 'aesthetically-pleasing' neighborhoods will require you to have a car, with the exception of the kew gardens/forest hills/rego park region. thats about all i can say if a nice neighborhood is what you are looking for where publicly transportation is easily accessible. for the most part, queens is more family-oriented than is brooklyn, but if you can't find anything decent in parkslope/prospect, then look elsewhere. brooklyn tends to have more single folk such as yourself (perhaps attending college), where as astoria in queens is similar in a way but like another poster mentioned, the aesthetics could use a little work. hope that gave you a better pic. and you should just go to wikipedia and search for queens and then brooklyn to to get a taste of the neighborhoods.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 PM

thanks biggyboy!

Park Slope would fit what I'm looking for? Is it brownstones, industrial or what have you? Aslo, What are some other areas of BK... or more precisely how would Park Slope fare against the Cobble Hill region? Also where in the Cobble Hill region should I even look? Not familiar with the surrounding places at all.

thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 03:36 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0cketaces View Post
thanks biggyboy!

Park Slope would fit what I'm looking for? Is it brownstones, industrial or what have you? Aslo, What are some other areas of BK... or more precisely how would Park Slope fare against the Cobble Hill region? Also where in the Cobble Hill region should I even look? Not familiar with the surrounding places at all.

thanks
Cobble Hill is nice but for what you are looking for, I would not think it would fit. Park Slope and Prospect Heights have the most variety of what it appears you are looking for. Reason being is that even though Cobble Hill is nice, and IMO much safer and more quiet then Park Slope or Prosepct Heights, it is not exactly overflowing with the amenities that you are looking for in the direct vicinity. You can always travel down Court Street or Smith Street and locate some of what you want but you will be venturing more towards Carroll Gardens to find it. Carroll Gardens is also pretty nice but again, a college student that likes to have some kind of night life, Park Slope and Prospect Heights would be the neighborhoods to check out.

If you want to live in Manhattan, I am sure that there is someone out there willing to rent a room for $1,000. Check out shares in the Lower East Side around Avenue A or B. That area will be overflowing with what you want except for the beauty part but your demographic definetely has a good hold on that area.

Don't take my word for gospel though since I could be wrong in my assessment.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:19 AM

112 posts, read 649,180 times
yup what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City