Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Jackson Heights is not a white area, but it is certainly not Chinese.
I think hes talking about Elmhurst

Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 PM

175 posts, read 549,852 times
I have an apartment in Forest Hills. It is a very nice area. But is it white? It's very racially mixed. My main house is in a suburb of Syracuse. It's really white (like 98% white). I don't think there is anywhere in NYC, and certainly there is nowhere in Queens, that I would call "white." Queens is very integrated.

Maybe integrated is the wrong word. It's very ethnically diverse. But people seem to keep to themselves. I am finding it hard to meet other people. From what I can tell, people in NYC are a bit reticent and suspicious of others. Part of life in the big city, I suppose.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:54 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
Maybe integrated is the wrong word. It's very ethnically diverse. But people seem to keep to themselves. I am finding it hard to meet other people. From what I can tell, people in NYC are a bit reticent and suspicious of others. Part of life in the big city, I suppose.
I'm sure there are people who feel the way you do, no matter their color

Old 06-07-2008, 09:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullio07 View Post
Hi
After 5 years spent in nyc between
Crown hights, long island city queensbridge and harlem
I am finally ready to move on and leave any african american
Areas behind me;

can anyone give me some kind of positive feedback on nice white areas in queens or brooklyn?
I targeted these 2 areas as top 2: astoria and bay ridge with openings for rego park and jackson hights,

If u live in one of these areas Are you happy there? Do u feel confortable and safe ?

Thank you for your answers
This is the best social commentary that I've seen on a forum. Sadly, I don't think anyone got it.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
I But people seem to keep to themselves. I am finding it hard to meet other people. From what I can tell, people in NYC are a bit reticent and suspicious of others. Part of life in the big city, I suppose.
I'm sorry to hear that. There may be things you can do. Have you checked out Queens Central Forums ?
People might be interested in a meet-up if you organize something.

I guess I am lucky that the coop bldg I moved into has some friendly, lovely people in it and I really am enjoying the chance to get to know some neighbors.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:03 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
I really don't think the Italian guy was trying to be ironic or create some type of social commentary. He seems to just want to move out of Harlem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. There may be things you can do. Have you checked out Queens Central Forums ?
People might be interested in a meet-up if you organize something.

I guess I am lucky that the coop bldg I moved into has some friendly, lovely people in it and I really am enjoying the chance to get to know some neighbors.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:05 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Quote:
I have an apartment in Forest Hills. It is a very nice area. But is it white? It's very racially mixed. My main house is in a suburb of Syracuse. It's really white (like 98% white). I don't think there is anywhere in NYC, and certainly there is nowhere in Queens, that I would call "white." Queens is very integrated.

Forrest Hills is one of the whitest areas in the city.

Currently the whitest neighborhoods I can think of in NYC are about 80-90% white. I don't really know of any that are whiter than that.

Perhaps you think Forrest Hills is more mixed because of all of the Russians and Bukhranian Jews living there? Other than them there are some Chinese/Koreans, a few Hispanics, and some other random Asians.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
All I can say is sorry that Crown Heights was not to your liking as that is my area and I have no issues with it. One thing though, I am African-American but Crown Heights is not an African-American neighborhood. Don't know what your issue was with it and don't know how you approached the neighborhood or the people in it but a good percentage of white people live in Crown Heights and are very comfortable there. If your concern is not to be in an area that has a large percentage of Blacks though, I think Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, Midwood, Forest Hills, Holliswood, Floral Park, Bensonhurst, Jamaica Estates, Briarwood, Astoria etc. would be areas that you may feel more comfortable in.

Don't get me wrong though, your preference is your preference and there are no issues with that but if you are not accustomed to or comfortable with Black culture or even certain Spanish cultures, and I don't mean thuggery or ghettonish (is that a word) then a predominately Black neighborhood or a predominately Puerto Rican or Dominican neighborhood is not a good fit, as I guess you are aware.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:35 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Forrest Hills is one of the whitest areas in the city.

Currently the whitest neighborhoods I can think of in NYC are about 80-90% white. I don't really know of any that are whiter than that.

Perhaps you think Forrest Hills is more mixed because of all of the Russians and Bukhranian Jews living there? Other than them there are some Chinese/Koreans, a few Hispanics, and some other random Asians.
Some of the Southern portions of Staten Island, like Tottensville, are close to 95% white, and Breezy Point in Queens in over 98%. It's easy to see why though, since it's a very isolated gated community.

As for the original topic question, my neighborhood is pretty white [Slavic], although I know there's a large hispanic [Puerto Rican] population here near Brooklyn, and I feel very safe here.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:39 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Some of the Southern portions of Staten Island, like Tottensville, are close to 95% white, and Breezy Point in Queens in over 98%. It's easy to see why though, since it's a very isolated gated community.

As for the original topic question, my neighborhood is pretty white [Slavic], although I know there's a large hispanic [Puerto Rican] population here near Brooklyn, and I feel very safe here.
Also I think that Sea Gate is an isloated community that has a large white population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City