Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 AM

646 posts, read 1,639,428 times

Advertisements

How cold does it get in NYC?

What do you guys wear when you are out and about during the cold winter days. And I'm not talking about nice office business dress, I am more interested in what you would wear on the weekends. All I have is bright, multi-colored snowboarding jackets and I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick out. How many layers do you put on, and do you where long johns daily?

I'm from Orange County, CA and I'm worried I just won't be able to take it. Especially taking a shower in the early morning. Even in CA I get pretty cold and it is probably 50 degrees during the night and early morning hours. Which would be warm by NYC standards Im sure. Let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I would LOVVVVE some winter weather on day like today.

When you move you should invest in a nice lined, leather city coat. The worst part is not the cold - its the moving from cold outside to the hot subway, then outside in the cold again.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:02 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Be wary, NYC weather has become very sporadic. The winters haven't been so bad, but the summers are getting really pushy. Sometimes it'll be 40 one day and 90 the next..

Old 06-08-2008, 04:19 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Be wary, NYC weather has become very sporadic. The winters haven't been so bad, but the summers are getting really pushy. Sometimes it'll be 40 one day and 90 the next..
So tell me exactly what kind of clothes you would wear on a very cold day. Ok i assume underwear/boxers, and then do most people wear long-johns?? and then normal jeans? And how about tops. A shirt and a jacket? how many layers?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
It never hits 40 in the summer. The lowest summer gets is maybe 70.

Winter is sporadic. One day its 20 and the next is 40 degrees.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
So tell me exactly what kind of clothes you would wear on a very cold day. Ok i assume underwear/boxers, and then do most people wear long-johns?? and then normal jeans? And how about tops. A shirt and a jacket? how many layers?
It's pretty rare that we break out the long johns here. It is not quite as cold as Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota or Maine for example.

I am female, but I will attempt to dress you on a cold weekend (not work) day from the inside out:

underwear/boxers
jeans
tee shirt
button up shirt (flannel, reg. cotton, etc.)
hoodie
winter jacket or coat
cozy socks
shoes, boots or sneakers

If the wind chill factor is below freezing and you expect to spend a lot of time outdoors and you coat is short (does not reach below your thighs), add long johns.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:22 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
Long-johns? It's New York, not Alaska At the most on a cold day we wear underwear, t-shirt, jeans, sweater, heavy coat, gloves, and a hat. To wear all that it's got to get down to 5-10 degrees.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:17 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
When I had my dog and would spend an hour every evening pretty much just standing around in the park while she played, longjohns were great on the colder below freezing), windier days -- maybe three or four times a year. Otherwise, a person wouldn't get much use from them in NYC. If you're outdoors and active, you'll stay comfy. It can be as warm as high 40s in the winter lately.

A raincoat with a removable lining (left in) and lined leather gloves will probably be all you need for most of the winter over your business suit (you wear a suit to business?). For weekends, a down jacket, a good wool sweater or two, Turtleneck/s, neckscarf, gloves are staples. I hate hats and usually look stupid in them, but newscasters stress that most body heat loss happens through the head. You should consider a hat.

I don't get the shower bit. You should wake up in a warm apartment to warm running water, unless there's "boiler trouble."

Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,352 times
I think I subconsciously discovered this old thread. I was thinking about winter and there are many times where I will wish that we had snow in my current location but we don't A few nights ago, I even had a dream where I was walking on a snowy sidewalk. It is good to know that New York's winter weather is not as bad as some other states. Snow is not necessarily a bad thing. It has its benefits too. I may be on the outside looking in but you guys in NYC are lucky

Old 02-27-2010, 02:17 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
You would think differently if you lived here the past month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City