Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,634 times

Advertisements

Hi there -

My family and I are coming in late this summer and staying at a new B&B above a storefront (a hardware store to be exact) on 3rd between 103rd and 104th. It is brand new in the last few months and people have stayed there - I found 4 great reviews. Still, not sure about the surroundings. Can anyone tell me a little about this area and precautions we should take? I think it is close to the subway and we will be making use of that. We will also be driving in from Chicago. Any route in the city you'd suggest avoiding? Also, how is this area? We are seeing a night game at Yankee stadium? Should we take the subway and then cab the rest of the way? Just looking for some general thoughts on this location. We are from Chicago (Wicker Park/Bucktown area) so we are used to an urban environment prices were outrageous for hotels so I thought I'd try this area. We will have a group of 5 - 8 so it was a big challenge finding space. Still, I'd like to know a little bit more about the choice I made. Thanks in advance - I've been to NYC 4 times but it is always hard to plan a trip to a city so large that you don't know that well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyseed View Post
Hi there -

My family and I are coming in late this summer and staying at a new B&B above a storefront (a hardware store to be exact) on 3rd between 103rd and 104th. It is brand new in the last few months and people have stayed there - I found 4 great reviews. Still, not sure about the surroundings. Can anyone tell me a little about this area and precautions we should take? I think it is close to the subway and we will be making use of that. We will also be driving in from Chicago. Any route in the city you'd suggest avoiding? Also, how is this area? We are seeing a night game at Yankee stadium? Should we take the subway and then cab the rest of the way? Just looking for some general thoughts on this location. We are from Chicago (Wicker Park/Bucktown area) so we are used to an urban environment prices were outrageous for hotels so I thought I'd try this area. We will have a group of 5 - 8 so it was a big challenge finding space. Still, I'd like to know a little bit more about the choice I made. Thanks in advance - I've been to NYC 4 times but it is always hard to plan a trip to a city so large that you don't know that well.

Thanks!
it's a rough area

Old 06-09-2008, 03:02 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,487 times
It's not a great area, but it's not THAT bad, despite what people might tell you... you'll be in Spanish Harlem, near the southern end. It is near places in Manhattan you will probably want to go, which is convenient.

However, it IS kind of sandwiched by projects - I think you are going to be right across the street from the Washington Houses on 3rd, and the Carver Houses are off in the other direction on Park. But realistically, as long as you are alert and don't advertise yourself (and avoid the projects) you should be okay, especially if you have a large group. It is not a desolate area. There are definitely worse areas in Chicago.

That said, you may not be comfortable bringing your family there, especially if you have children. I suppose that would depend on your comfort level, and the demographics in your family. If I had young kids, I might not want to bring them to that area. Just my personal feelings.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:02 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,363 times
I think you may want to reconsider. The place maybe great, but the hood ain't. And you should think long and hard about using the subway at night there. Even the daytime is skechy for a out of towner.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
What a unique B&B, right above a hardware store.

I don't know if I'd recommend the area for a tourist with family. I think you might look "green" and stick out a little too much. That's my real concern for you and your family. Especially being so close to the projects.

The irony of it all is that you would be 1 block from the 6 train which you can take to 125th St and switch to the 4 train up to 161 St for the game at Yankee Stadium. You can come home the same way.

Maybe Krazy, who lives in the area can help out here.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,634 times
Thanks vitalove (and others). No kids with us, but three 55 yr old men who are salt of the earth types from pretty rough parts of Chicago back in the day. I want to believe that it's no big deal as long as we are smart about things. I've read a lot of posts and I guess I was hoping this specific few blocks would be manageable. The posts seem to be really extreme - either scaring me away or making me want to go because many people argue for the fact that it is "not as bad as people say" and that there is a stigma attached to their neighborhood up there. Hard to make a choice. But I don't want for my family to feel uneasy on a trip that is supposed to be fun.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 AM

415 posts, read 1,395,363 times
Why go on vacation and have to worry about getting shot or stabbed for your wallet?
Its just not worth it.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyseed View Post
Thanks vitalove (and others). No kids with us, but three 55 yr old men who are salt of the earth types from pretty rough parts of Chicago back in the day. I want to believe that it's no big deal as long as we are smart about things. I've read a lot of posts and I guess I was hoping this specific few blocks would be manageable. The posts seem to be really extreme - either scaring me away or making me want to go because many people argue for the fact that it is "not as bad as people say" and that there is a stigma attached to their neighborhood up there. Hard to make a choice. But I don't want for my family to feel uneasy on a trip that is supposed to be fun.
Its Bad. You are in the center of the highest concentration of public housing in the country. Don't listen to people who say "its not as bad as people say it is" half of these people on this site havent been to this hood or dont know much about the hood, they are just commenting to comment. You will be uneasy.

Picture staying in a hotel in a CHA dominated area A-la the ex-Robert Taylor Corridor on State street

that should put it in perspective for ya!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:26 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,487 times
Is it really so horrible? It has an undesirable element, but it's not a warzone. People do live and work there everyday. I don't understand why people are so adamant in saying that such-and-such area is horrible and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Obviously, the B&B stays in business, as does the hardware store. If there's 4 good reviews on the site, that's at least 4 people who went and had a good experience.

I will admit that I haven't been there in a while - the last time I was there was in 2005 (I think). But I went to school on 94th Street in the mid 1990s, and I had a friend who lived on 110th and 3rd. I walked from school to his place probably once a week on average, for 2 years (at least during the school year).

Yes, I did get robbed - twice. But I was 12 years old and alone both times, not 3 55 year old men. Back then the school gave us bus passes - both times I was approached by a group of older kids who wanted mine. One of the times, they didn't even want my wallet (not that there was any money in it, anyway...)

But the other 50 or 60 times I took the trip? Nothing. And I'd venture the area is no worse now than it was then, probably better.

Finally, yes, there are tons of projects around there. Of course. There are also banks, restaurants, stores... and the place is on 3rd Ave. That is not a desolate side street, even up there. Besides, I doubt that the OP is just going to be wandering around outside in the vicinity for hours on his vacation. He's from Chicago, right? I'm sure he knows how to conduct himself in an urban environment.

But, ultimately... I seem to be in the minority here. It's definitely not a nice area. Perhaps it is best to be cautious.

Last edited by Minus; 06-10-2008 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Its Bad. You are in the center of the highest concentration of public housing in the country. Don't listen to people who say "its not as bad as people say it is" half of these people on this site havent been to this hood or dont know much about the hood, they are just commenting to comment. You will be uneasy.

Picture staying in a hotel in a CHA dominated area A-la the ex-Robert Taylor Corridor on State street

that should put it in perspective for ya!
slow down there cowboy....i find it hard to believe that you have a great knowledge of CHA. because CHA makes NYCHA look like the W hotel.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: