U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:21 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,127,833 times
You have to look at what other apartments of similar size/condition have sold for in the building and in comparable buildings. That is the only way that you can know if your offer is reasonable. If you do not have the time/inclination to do this, you should hire a buyer's broker for a flat fee to run the comps for you since you found the space on your own. But make sure that you have a contract stating that the broker is working for YOU and YOUR interests. You can check recent sales in the NYTimes and through the city's ACRIS system. You can also use Streeteasy, but it is not as reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,937,886 times
this is a buyers market, offfer whatever you want. At least try to find out how long the apt has been on the market. Is it a sponsor sale or resale? If resale, current owner may be desperate.

Play with it and don't worry about the sellers feelings.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 AM

16 posts, read 27,958 times
UpsonDowns, Thanks for the tip. I've never used ACRIS system before. How do I go about, or NYTimes for that matter.
thanks.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:29 AM

16 posts, read 27,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
this is a buyers market, offfer whatever you want. At least try to find out how long the apt has been on the market. Is it a sponsor sale or resale? If resale, current owner may be desperate.

Play with it and don't worry about the sellers feelings.

so if something is listed at 475k, will a bid of 440k to too low? (where they'll laugh at me?)

Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,937,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicChiLL View Post
so if something is listed at 475k, will a bid of 440k to too low? (where they'll laugh at me?)
I just purchased a coop in kew gardens $28,000 less than the original asking price. I cut the price and included thousands in concession for points, prepaids, etc... essentially i said i'll give you x amount but we will go to contract for x (higher amount) and the lender refunds to me excess post-closing. closing costs on coops are not as high as "real" property.

THEY WENT FOR IT.

It all depends on the seller. I work at a title company and lately we've experienced sellers writing checks to their lenders at closing making up for payoff shortfalls. It's ugly out there for some people.

I do agree that you can check ACRIS and see if you can find the filed RPT forms for the particular apt you are looking at. I guess that can give you a starting point. Realtor comps for coops are a difficult as prices change from bldg to bldg depending on many factors. Comps WITHIN the building you are purchasing are usually provided to appraisers through a Coop questionnaire.

You can access ACRIS at the nyc department of finance website. just google NYC ACRIS. Find the block and lot for the bldg you are looking at using "find addresses and parcels" search by block and lot, and scan the printout (you'll have to view documment) look at UCC's and RPT's for your unit. If you have the sellers name that makes it much easier. Just "search by name". Make sure you are in the county the bldg is in and start looking at the returns.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City