U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 16,427 times

Advertisements

I've learned a lot by reading through the various threads here, and thought it would be useful to post some specific information about moving to NYC. I posted the following in the "Need info on moving to NYC" sticky, but it seems like it may have been more appropriate to post a new thread, as that sticky does not seem to attract the same amount of attention. My apologies if this is not appropriate.

Background: My husband and I in our mid-twenties and are looking to relocate to New York. He is headed to NYC for his third interview for what would be his dream job. I am currently a PhD student working on my dissertation, and have the flexibility to move with him. I would be able to work a part time job, if necessary, but my first priority would be to finish my school work. I should then graduate in a year, and employment prospects in the city are extremely good for my field/level of education. We have excellent credit, rental and employment history and no debt.

Budget:
Salary right now is not totally known, but a (safe) estimate would be 80k for him. I might be able to earn an additional 10k a year between the research that I do and a possible part time job. Because of the 40x salary requirements, our maximum budget would be $2000/month.

Job Location: His job would be located near Grand Central Station.

Living circumstances: We're married. No kids in the foreseeable future. No pets. No car.

Space requirements: 1 bedroom or alcove studio. Rental. Ideally 500+ sq. ft. (We currently live in a 750 sq. ft. 1-bedroom.)

Neighborhood amenities: Ideally, we would be able to walk to restaurants, bars, cafes and coffee shops. A bookstore or public library would be a big plus. Green space (either a park, or just tree-lined streets), independently owned shops, and a farmer's market would also be nice. We'd like to get groceries delivered. I'd like to be able to go out at night and feel safe walking back home from public transportation.

Interests/ General: Both of us would like to live in a neighborhood with age/racial/religious diversity; we would rather be around young families than college students or 20-somethings who party like frat boys. We're not really hipsters. A typical weekend for us would consist of going out for a nice dinner with friends on Friday night, heading to a market on Saturday for ingredients to make dinner that night, and going to a park or on a walk on Sunday.

Other things to note: Preferable commute time to Grand Central would be 40 minutes or less. I have a very strong aversion to bugs and insects, and while it might be crazy, I'm not sure if some places are more prone to creepy crawly things than others. Finally, cooking is a hobby for both of us, so we would like to have a decent kitchen (full size fridge and oven, some counter/cabinet space.) We'd also want a bedroom or alcove to be able to fit a queen sized bed.

Questions: We've looked at Astoria, Long Island City, Kew Gardens, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Fort Greene, Park Slope, the Upper East Side, and thanks to Henna's suggestion, Jackson Heights. Is there any place we should rule out? Or a place we should add to our list?

Will an offer letter be sufficient to demonstrate that we have enough income to rent an apartment? (This would be in addition to credit check, etc.) Our current income is about 60k. Do we need to reduce our rental budget to $1500?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM

842 posts, read 4,072,935 times
If you're young and renting, you should look into areas that are 0-15 minutes from the city. It sounds to me Manhattan or Brooklyn will fit you best. I dont know much about BK, but a one bedroom for $1500 is possible in the Upper East Side

Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 AM

12,299 posts, read 23,200,954 times
I am on a neighborhood email list and just got some listings for apartment rentals in JH in case anyone is wondering about prices. I have nothing to do with these units, have never seen them, don't know the agent etc. but just providing it in case people are curious. I'm not posting the agent's contact info because I have a feeling it might be against the rules of the board but if anyone wants it, just PM me.

Jackson Heights
Hello All --
Just an update on apt rental availability ---
One Studio - $1150 - 83rd off 37th ave
One One bedroom - $1500 - 80th off 37th ave
COMMERCIAL SPACE-STOREFRONT - $5400 MONTHLY includes basement -
Junior 4 - coming up --
Three Bed/Two Bath - AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER MOVE-IN -- Not sure of
monthly rent yet -- will keep you all informed -- BEAUTIFUL APARTMENT!
and, several others to become available -- Please feel free to call me
periodically --- Would love to help you rent, sell, or buy your
apartment! Many thanks and have a great day ------

Old 06-11-2008, 09:38 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,064,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmurry View Post
Our current income is about 60k. Do we need to reduce our rental budget to $1500?
Definitely. The most you should pay for rent is 40x less your salary and that's $1500 on the nose.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM

317 posts, read 1,065,601 times
Parts of Queens may be more convenient than Brooklyn for your husband, if he's going to be commuting to Grand Central - if you live on the 7 line, he can get there fairly quickly and without a transfer. In addition to the areas you already mentioned, you might want to check out Sunnyside and Woodside - fairly nice areas that the 7 runs through. They are between Long Island City/Astoria and Jackson Heights, geographically speaking.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:12 PM

6,968 posts, read 10,252,585 times
Have you looked at Greenpoint? Greenpoint has some streets that are absolute hidden gems and has one of my favorite parks in the city--McGolrick Park. It also has the huge McCarren Park dividing it and Williamsburg. Southern Greenpoint provides more of a family atmosphere (for now) rather than being surrounded by students, trust funders, and hipsters like Williamsburg. But, it is close to the Bedford L train stop--from 8-10 blocks away. Prices for one bedrooms can be surprisingly inexpensive and there are some deals to find...$1500 spaces are not that rare...you should look at the 'hood.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:48 AM

175 posts, read 516,875 times
What about Forest Hills?

Old 06-15-2008, 02:12 PM

64 posts, read 120,318 times
Murray Hill might have some options within $2000 for a studio..I was looking to purchase recently.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 AM

842 posts, read 4,072,935 times
During rush hour, the 7 is JAM PACKED. Nobody wants to wait to find out the next train is also jam packed, so what do they do? They all push in and everybody has their face in someones armpit. Hey, you have to get home right?. \

You can liv along the 4,5,6 in BK or upper east side. These places are family friendly

Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 AM

12,299 posts, read 23,200,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
During rush hour, the 7 is JAM PACKED. Nobody wants to wait to find out the next train is also jam packed, so what do they do? They all push in and everybody has their face in someones armpit. Hey, you have to get home right?. \

You can liv along the 4,5,6 in BK or upper east side. These places are family friendly
The 4,5,6 on the Upper East Side also seems to ALWAYS be jam-packed, nose in someone's armpit, rush-hour or not. Or maybe I just have bad luck.

And the L train in Williamsburg/Greenpoint is the same way (rush hour only but not the rest of the day).

Welcome to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or