Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
She is the tenant in the 2-family house, not the owner, and not entitled to use of the driveway. Her post said her landlady parks in the driveway.
oh well kick rocks then....she's not even the owner and she's trying to claim a spot that is public domain. i mean its a lose-lose situation however u look it at. like i said, place the blame on people who are renting these illegal apartments. so i guess if i visit a friend in the area, i should park on hillside avenue and walk to the house instead of parking in front of her house (excuse me, her landlady's house) for fear if i get a post-it note on my car.....ridiculous. this is nyc....that insular behavior only exists in place where it take 90+ minutes to get to manhattan by public transportation.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default It's really not worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
- Where someone registers their car is none of your business.
Perhaps, but people who think they are "saving money" on car insurance can be in for quite a shock when they have an accident and need to make a claim if the insurance company figures it out. Some companies that sell car insurance will take the amount that should have been paid in premiums out of what they give you on the claim. That also goes for people who have teenagers with driver's licenses or learner's permits whose parents let them drive the car and don't tell the insurance company. If a claim occurs, you can be backcharged for the rate you should have been paying with a teenager in the house driving.

Then they will drop you and put the incident of falsifying place of residence (or not reporting all drivers) in the CLUE system (which all insurance companies use to qualify car insurance applicants), which will make all other insurance companies very suspicious of you and cause you to pay more money for future insurance.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
so i guess if i visit a friend in the area, i should park on hillside avenue and walk to the house instead of parking in front of her house.
Actually, I do have a friend who lives in an illegal basement apt. in S. Richmond Hill and when I visit her I NEVER park in front of the house or even on the block because I don't want her neighbors to get teed off and report the illegal apartment. A few years before she lived there, the apt. was reported by neighbors. She has been there a few years and I think the reason she was not complained about is because she does not drive and does not have yet another car to compete for parking spaces on the block! So when I drive there I keep it low key too. I generally try and park in front of businesses to avoid annoying anyone if I can.

I think that if those neighbors live in illegal apartments, they should be much more considerate of others on the block, as they can get reported and thrown out. It's just common sense.

As for her feeling entitled to have the spot, she did qualify that she knows she cannot legally reserve the spot. She was venting about the overcrowded block, not actually expecting that she should have the parking spot in front of the house she rents at all the time.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Actually, I do have a friend who lives in an illegal basement apt. in S. Richmond Hill and when I visit her I NEVER park in front of the house or even on the block because I don't want her neighbors to get teed off and report the illegal apartment. A few years before she lived there, the apt. was reported by neighbors. She has been there a few years and I think the reason she was not complained about is because she does not drive and does not have yet another car to compete for parking spaces on the block! So when I drive there I keep it low key too. I generally try and park in front of businesses to avoid annoying anyone if I can.

I think that if those neighbors live in illegal apartments, they should be much more considerate of others on the block, as they can get reported and thrown out. It's just common sense.

As for her feeling entitled to have the spot, she did qualify that she knows she cannot legally reserve the spot. She was venting about the overcrowded block, not actually expecting that she should have the parking spot in front of the house she rents at all the time.
how do you know if the people in bellerose even know if their apartment is illegal? we have a few thread on this forum with people who didnt even know their apt was illegal. not everybody has the knowledge to go to the DOB and request a copy of the C of O for the house.

and if she is venting about the overcrowded block, call 311. then hopefully the DOB will come out, issue some violations, force the LL's to revert the illegal apts back to their original conditions, and she can have her quiet block back. 1-2-3.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:04 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
This is sort of beside the point.. Yesterday I was double parked in front of my building just waiting for someone to move so I could park on the block. All of a sudden a guy pulls up and double parks a couple of cars in front of me, then he reverses down the block to be right in front of me. . Just then the guy parked next to me on the other side of the street gets in his car and jerkoff backs up even further to now claim the spot that I had been waiting for first. So I pull up to the other side and in front of the car and get out and confront the parking spot theif, with him telling me that the guy had told him about the spot so it was his. I told him I really dont give a **** that the guy told him about the spot first, that we dont "call" parking spaces around here like we're in f'n kindergarten. I was parked right next to that car first and I was getting that spot. But I must say, to tie this to the OP, I was even more annoyed given that the guy doesn't even live on the block. And I told him so. Needless to say he got to steppin'.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, but people who think they are "saving money" on car insurance can be in for quite a shock when they have an accident and need to make a claim if the insurance company figures it out. Some companies that sell car insurance will take the amount that should have been paid in premiums out of what they give you on the claim. That also goes for people who have teenagers with driver's licenses or learner's permits whose parents let them drive the car and don't tell the insurance company. If a claim occurs, you can be backcharged for the rate you should have been paying with a teenager in the house driving.

Then they will drop you and put the incident of falsifying place of residence (or not reporting all drivers) in the CLUE system (which all insurance companies use to qualify car insurance applicants), which will make all other insurance companies very suspicious of you and cause you to pay more money for future insurance.
in all honesty, nowadays people dont even report accidents to the insurance compaines. they settle it between themselves. one time a lady rear-ended me in staten island. i copied the info from her driver's license and took her plate #, and using the honor system, i went and got three estimates and faxed them to her, she sent me a money order for $700 bucks. car fixed, no problem. better than the insurance company raising both of our rates. and she couldnt even say she wasn't in the wrong. she rear-ended while i was stopped at a red light. if she didnt want to take the easy road, i could have just called the police and filed an official report.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
This is sort of beside the point.. Yesterday I was double parked in front of my building just waiting for someone to move so I could park on the block. All of a sudden a guy pulls up and double parks a couple of cars in front of me, then he reverses down the block to be right in front of me. . Just then the guy parked next to me on the other side of the street gets in his car and jerkoff backs up even further to now claim the spot that I had been waiting for first. So I pull up to the other side and in front of the car and get out and confront the parking spot theif, with him telling me that the guy had told him about the spot so it was his. I told him I really dont give a **** that the guy told him about the spot first, that we dont "call" parking spaces around here like we're in f'n kindergarten. I was parked right next to that car first and I was getting that spot. But I must say, to tie this to the OP, I was even more annoyed given that the guy doesn't even live on the block. And I told him so. Needless to say he got to steppin'.
out of curiosity, what neighborhood is this?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
She is the tenant in the 2-family house, not the owner, and not entitled to use of the driveway. Her post said her landlady parks in the driveway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
So I left ONE postit note on their windshield stating that they should park on the street and not on the curb and our property, our grass.
Oh, sorry, it's "OUR grass, OUR property" but it's the "landlady's driveway". And it's MY street.

I guess I didn't read closely enough. It was too hard with all those possessive nouns.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post

Getting out of your car to confront a "parking spot thief" sounds like you've passed kindergarten and landed squarely in adolescence.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
in all honesty, nowadays people dont even report accidents to the insurance compaines. they settle it between themselves.
maybe you like dealing in street justice, but normal people do not operate that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City