U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:35 PM

16,417 posts, read 26,350,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
so then you should be ok as long as the 1st and second floor are one apartment by itself.
According to his post, they are not one apartment, but still two separate apartments and the home's legal status as a two family is based on that.

I don't think it would be legal if he does a switcheroo and makes the two legal apartments into one and then makes the basement into an apartment (without dealing with the authorities first).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 AM

13,756 posts, read 29,177,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
According to his post, they are not one apartment, but still two separate apartments and the home's legal status as a two family is based on that.

I don't think it would be legal if he does a switcheroo and makes the two legal apartments into one and then makes the basement into an apartment (without dealing with the authorities first).
if thats the case then he would need to file with the Department of Buildings and do some work to convert it.

To the OP, direct message me the address if you don't mind.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-23-2009, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,682 times
This web site will give you an idea on what can be done and what can't..................

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/hpd/downloads/pdf/PreservationSvcsBrochure_BasementCellar.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,964 times
I have a couple of questions:

1. I currently live in/rent the basement of a house; how do I determine if it is a two family or single family home? There are two floors above me with two bedrooms on the top floor. I doubt that when they made the basement into an apartment that they filed a new C of O. Only one driveway. one garage, but a separate entrance to the basement apartment?

2. If you are going to convert a basement into an apartment, don't you also have to have a separate meter?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 AM

244 posts, read 549,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenof BK View Post
I have a couple of questions:

1. I currently live in/rent the basement of a house; how do I determine if it is a two family or single family home? There are two floors above me with two bedrooms on the top floor. I doubt that when they made the basement into an apartment that they filed a new C of O. Only one driveway. one garage, but a separate entrance to the basement apartment?

2. If you are going to convert a basement into an apartment, don't you also have to have a separate meter?

It's illegal, like all basements. If you get lucky and the inspector doesn't come, you can stay there. This happened to me 2 times already in Queens. I had great basement apartments (large and cheap) and someone reported them and I had to move out.
Now I'm paying more for a small studio apartment that I Mod cut: languagehate.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-29-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-31-2009, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,619 times
but what if the landlord is renting a basement to a family who has two kids younger than 3 years old? is it legal?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 9,619 times
the basement is about 3 feet above ground so it does have small windows. has private entree in the back of the house has a 1/2 bathroom and a small kitchen. however its kind of small in sq. about 24 feet by 20

Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
Hi, i'm renting an illegal basement with a one year lease. When i sign the lease i didn't know that the basement was illegal. I was told by the landlord after some time. On my lease it stated that i should put the electricity in my name and i was also told the same thing by the real estate agent who rented the basement to me. But when i spoke to the landlord she told me that the basement did not have a separate meter. Now months later she's showing me a bill for $800 in electricity bill. What should i do? Can she take me to court for the bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City