Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times

Advertisements

do California people adapt well in NEW YORK CITY??

have you met very many people from CA that moved to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 PM

162 posts, read 271,515 times
I'm moving to NYC in August,... I know a few people who have moved from here to NYC.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
This board has had a bit on influx of folks in the Los Angeles / Southern California area getting ready to move here.

LA and New York are two different planets so there's going to be a bit of a culture shock (such as not being car-reliant) but as long as you're somewhat prepared - the transition will be OK.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:57 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
As with anything else, some people adapt easily and some do not. It has more to do with the individual than the lifestyle change.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:28 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
I'm from NorCal and have many friends in NYC who are from SoCal. I think it's one of those grass is always greener situations. Growing up in computer/granolaville, I would read books and dream of running off to NYC. I went to college in SoCal, so I have a pretty good idea of the cultural differences in all three areas. I think folks who enjoy living in SF have an easier time living in NYC than folks who love LA.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I'm from NorCal and have many friends in NYC who are from SoCal. I think it's one of those grass is always greener situations. Growing up in computer/granolaville, I would read books and dream of running off to NYC. I went to college in SoCal, so I have a pretty good idea of the cultural differences in all three areas. I think folks who enjoy living in SF have an easier time living in NYC than folks who love LA.
It's funny - I have a friend who lives in LA and he came out here for a week or two on business. Right before he left he says:

"I don't know how you and millions of other people handle stuffing yourselves in those boxes every day just to go to work."

Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
It's funny - I have a friend who lives in LA and he came out here for a week or two on business. Right before he left he says:

"I don't know how you and millions of other people handle stuffing yourselves in those boxes every day just to go to work."

Perfect observation. I don't knew either. I'm just happy to be out of that rat race.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Perfect observation. I don't knew either. I'm just happy to be out of that rat race.
I'm sure this goes both ways. Many New Yorkers couldn't even begin to consider living in LA. Different strokes!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Hmm...Californians moving to New York. There are also fair numbers of Californians moving to Seattle and Portland. Maybe that state isn't the paradise it gets portrayed as being! (Of course, being the native-born Brooklynite, I may not be completely unbiased when I make this observation).

Old 06-13-2008, 10:25 AM

64 posts, read 143,105 times
Yes.. through Business School.. A lot of my ex's bf's friends at Wharton Business School (U Penn) were from So Cal..Surfer kids mainly.

I briefly dated a lwyer a few months back who was from Cali as well.. and so was his roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City