U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:39 PM

49 posts, read 190,979 times
Question 1199 Housing located on 2120 First Avenue

I'm going to be moving there next Spring. I know the area has cleaned up alot. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments about the neighborhood? I was born in Harlem & I've seen the area changes throughout time. I moved upstate but will be coming back home. Upstate NY is very nice but the commute into the city is killing me financially, never mind the fact that it takes almost 4 hours out of my day. YIKES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 02:57 PM

9,958 posts, read 17,649,494 times
the building itself is not bad...it has security and its pretty clean i've been there a few times. i dont know about the surrounding area tho...thomas jefferson pjs are across the street....but i've walked from there to lenox avenue at 3 in the morning and i was more afraid of the rats running around that being robbed or anything like that. lol.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 PM

Default OK - Thank you!

My first address was East 124th street. I'm 40 + (almost 50 now, God willing). I use to go to Jefferson Pool when I was a kid. I know they had some problem tenants there but they've cleaned up the building alot. All I know is I won't have to spend close to $500 a month on the MetroNorth, parking & my metrocards.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:38 AM

9,958 posts, read 17,649,494 times
well go for it then! good luck and report back to us.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-15-2008, 10:01 PM

Default Thomas Jefferson

those buildings aren't PJ's. they are Mitchell Lama co-ops. I was thinking about that when i was down there last night. they're are projects on e. 106 & first ave. unless that's what your talking about? ok, now i got it. the PJ's are across the street going south on 1st ave. Franklin Plaza bldgs are across the street going west between 106th & 108th street. gotcha. yeah it's all good there. i'm from the city so i'll be just fine.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 15,400 times
Default 1199 housing

i live in 1199 housing in the d buidling and i think that the buildings are extremely safe and clean. the neighborhood from the six train is less desirable but the neighboohood is developing., if you get an apartment take it. i can assure u, you will never get another like this., also get an apartment with a view. i have a view of the east river and the fdr drive., its beautiful

Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 PM

147 posts, read 390,703 times
I lived on 108th and 2nd and I really liked it. The PJ's were right across the street, but are not really a problem unless you walk through them late at night with all of your valuables out. My roommate even did his laundry in the PJ's on 106 and 2nd in the evenings- a lot cheaper than the laundromat. All of my neighbors were very friendly and I never felt unsafe at all. Also, Ricardo's Steakhouse is on 111th and 2nd- a night out that is within walking distance- hard to find in that neighborhood! Good luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 PM

oh cool, we'll be neighbors soon! i'm on the waiting list for a 1 bedroom & i can't wait to move back to the city!! i moved upstate (for my hubby) but i'm moving back, SOLO!! i don't know what building i'll be in but as long as i'm back home that's all that matters. my first address was E. 123rd street. keep in touch!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 PM

i just sent you a quick reply BBlackWidow so if you get another message from me, please disregard. i can't wait to move back home!!! i'm on the waiting list for a one bedroom & i just called the mgmt. office today. the lady said by the spring i'll be called. yippee!! i will request an apartment w/a terrace facing the FDR & the East River, oh home sweet home!! the lady sent me floor plan & the one bedroom apts. are pretty good sized.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 AM

so i moved into 2080 First Ave. & it was the worst experience i've ever had!! the bldg. was so noisey!! the apt. itself was very cute but i only stayed there for one month. the apt. i was offered faced the interior courtyard & the kids would be out there yelling & carrying on with each other across the catwalk. it wasn't where i needed to be & the bldg. itself was dirty!! the hallway walls hadn't been painted in i'd say at least 10 + yrs. & the incinerator room reaked!! i guess the day the lady from mgmt. showed me the apt. security cleaned up the incinerator room or somthing cause that's something i look at.
for anyone thinking about moving to 1199 East River Landing....i'd strongly recommend finding a better bldg!!! the other bldgs. are much nicer & more quiet but that bldg. A was absolutely hideous!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City