U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 197,429 times

Advertisements

Hi there people!
I'm new in these type of stuff but here's the thing...
I'm from portugal and I'm making a paper work about youth crimes and things like that and I have to pick a stranger city... And since a long time I have a big admiration about NY but I also know this city has it's dark areas. So I'd like to ask for some help since I can't have much information about the city

Thanks
Vasco

Old 01-10-2007, 05:52 AM

55 posts, read 496,843 times
I am not from ny but have read a bit on the internet so from what I know these are some of the tougher neighbouhoods in NYC:

Manhatten: Parts of Harlem
Staten Island: West Brighton
Queens: Queensbridge, Jamica
Bronx: Mott Haven, Soundview, South Bronx
Brooklyn: East New York, Brownsville, Bushwick

Im sure people from NYC will tell you some more but in the meantime check this link out, it has hundreds of photos oof NYC housing projects and urban decay and some news clips about crime in NYC

www.urbandecay.ca

Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM

308 posts, read 2,378,607 times
Also in Brooklyn: BedStuy, Parts in Flatbush, Crown Heights, Canarsie.

Bronx: Parts in Kingsbridge, parts in Fordham (like Decatur) parts Fordham RD.
Wakefield-241st street. Botherline to Mt. Vernon.

Manhattan: Lower Eastside, Delancey st./Essex st.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,674,229 times
Manhattan: East Harlem, Central Harlem, West Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights, LES projects

Basically the whole Uptown area of Manhattan is the ghetto. The projects in the LES aswell.

Brooklyn: Bedford Stuyvesant, Brownsville, East NY, Flastbush, East Flatbush, Bushwick, Crown Heights

Brooklyn north is mostly slums.

Queens: Far Rockaway, Southside Jamaica, Queensbridge projects

Most of Queens is nice. The above two neighborhoods along with the Queensbridge projects stick out like sore thumbs.

Bronx: Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania, Hunts Point, Soundview, Highbridge, Tremont, East Tremont, Morris Heights, University Heights, Fordham, Fordham-Bedford, Wakefield, North Bronx projects, Castle Hill Projects

I've said enough on the Bronx.

Staten Island: Dont know too much.

Basically the above areas are the ghettos in the respective boroughs. That doesn't mean that they cant be resided in, just that they're undesirable. Some are really bad though.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 PM

11,281 posts, read 21,740,196 times
I don't understand what the paper is focusing on. You said you need help but don't say what kind of help you need. Your question is very vague.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,075 times
Brooklyn North such as the Bed-Stuy and East New York areas. Crime has increased by 64% in two years in Brooklyn North.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,517,375 times
I, too, don't understand your question.

And I don't know where KRaZY has been, but the Lower East Side is NOT a dangerous area.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Manhattan: East Harlem, Central Harlem, West Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights, LES projects

Basically the whole Uptown area of Manhattan is the ghetto. The projects in the LES aswell.

Sorry but thats Bull****!!! Harlem changed a lot!!! Alot of people from the UES moving up to Harlem. Of course there are a few parts which arent that great. But compare to 10 years ago it is much safe than it used to be.

I bet you havent been in Harlem at all.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I, too, don't understand your question.

And I don't know where KRaZY has been, but the Lower East Side is NOT a dangerous area.

Not all of the LES but the streets are named are!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:03 PM

430 posts, read 676,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I don't know where KRaZY has been, but the Lower East Side is NOT a dangerous area.
Most of the Lower East Side is fine. However, there are huge swathes of high-crime ghetto in the LES. Almost any place near the water (FDR Dr.) from the Brooklyn Bridge on up all the way up through the eastern edge of Alphabet City (Avenue D) is less than safe at night. That's like 25 blocks of near-continuous housing projects there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City