Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:57 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times

Advertisements

He was not bashing Albanians per se..he was making a point that white does not equal good...although in NYC it oftentimes does. Albanians have their issues like everyone else...he was just a bit overzealous...no more than the Bronx bashers are.

And yes..the Bronx at this point I believe is about 50% Hispanic..and growing...there are quite a few in Riverdale too...run!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Most neighborhoods in the Bronx are 60-70% Hispanics. The most Hispanic neighborhood is Hunts Point with about 75%. Only in the far east Bronx and north east Bronx and far northwest Bronx are Hispanics non-existant as compared to other ethnic groups.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:22 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
Theres a few blocks west of yankess stadium that look alright (I don't live or hand out in the the area so i could be completely wrong).
I live over by Yankee Stadium, near the courts no less. For starters, the 44th Precinct must be one of the least responsive precincts in the Bronx. Even in the shadow of the stadium and courts on well-travelled blocks, you'd sh*t if you knew what was allowed to go on. Even though it looks ok in some areas, some of the poverty and just plain anti-social behavior by a select group of people is enough to depress you and deter any decent, middle-class person from coming and staying for a while. I personally have had just about enough.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:30 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Sha83...I can certainly appreciate your feelings. At times I wonder...what the heck am I doing here..and I am a local! I go back and forth sometimes...to say that I love absolutely everything..or even alot of things would be untrue. But then I get on my bike and go for a ride..and see all the new tree plantings, the new stadium being built, the new waterfront parks, the new amenities coming in, the new condos/developments, and the rapid pace of changes that are occuring..and I feel good again.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel..and I believe in the next 3-5 years..those that can make it over this last hump will be rewarded with a much improved quality of life, a better quality of people moving in, and a better feeling all around. Of course there will be alot of the same old problems..but there will be other things that will outweigh them...this is of course all my opinion.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 AM

127 posts, read 547,843 times
Badass Korean Chick,

Being that you want to live in the South Bronx and an easy commute to Midtown West, your best bet is the area around Yankee Stadium. If you want a longer commute you can wander northward along the Grand Concourse towards Bedford Park which has somewhat more Asians.

Definitely stick around the Grand Concourse - You want to catch the B,D subway line to Midtown West. The D is an awesome line that goes express during rush hours. It doesn't stop at yankee stadium though, you will have to catch the B train to 145th and transfer to the D or A train. Or as an alternative you can:

1. Take the 4 train from Yankee Stadium to 149th St. Grand Concourse and catch the 2 train (7th ave line)
2. Bx 1 to 149th St. & Grand Concourse to catch the 2 train (7th ave line)
3. Express bus to manhattan that goes along the Grand Concourse. I think it goes through the east side of Manhattan though, but you can always catch a crosstown bus to the west side.

I know I'm going to get a lot of heat from Super Mario, but you'll be great for the Yankee Stadium nabe aka Concourse Village. LOL

Old 06-23-2008, 03:21 AM

4 posts, read 7,624 times
Default thanks a bunch!!

Hey Bronxpride and Guywithacause, I appreciate all your suggestions. Now I just gotta figure out a way to find a place during a short visit (life is hectic prior to moving 1/2 way across a countinent, yeah?) GWAC suggested craigslist. I definitely check CL everyday, but if anyone has other suggestions, these would be greatly appreciated as well.
Just to clarify, I was never worried about my safety. I just didn't want to be totally naive before moving to a new neighborhood. Where I currently folks (mostly all Latino, Somali and some working class white folks) are friendly and cordial and they know me (and greet me) by sight. Maybe it is different in New York, but here, in "hipster" and gentrifying (read: white) neighborhoods, no one gives a **** about anyone else, will likely hit you on your bike with their hybrid car, and won't give you the time of day. In my more marginal neighborhood, there is real sense of community, family, and solidarity.
Maybe I will run into you guys at some point. I will be the tall skinny Korean chick with crazy hair, crooked glassed, cuffed jeans and bike helmet...

Old 06-29-2008, 08:12 AM

127 posts, read 547,843 times
Kool beans I also recommend craigslist, yahoo, msn, and realtor.com. If your going to rent the most user friendly site is craigslist, but the best way is to just walk around the neighborhood and jot down telephone numbers. I would say most buildings don't use the internet. You just see a sign, call and they'll tell you to call the super or visit him at the building for viewing the apartment. Best of luck and feel free to message me for any information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City