U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,574,648 times
Exclamation Parking Rant Bellerose

I'm the one who posted the original rant. I wanted to make a few points here. First of all I'd like to thank some of the people who actually understood what I was trying to say (including apvbguy and some others).
I can now think and write with a level head so, here goes.
1) I was born in NYC and lived here ALL my life.
2) I understand completely that street parking is public parking and therefore no one has the right to claim a spot.
3) I resent people who do not know my area, and therefore are unable to make a logical judgement.
4) I am not the 'neighborhood crazy lady' and resent that title. Again you do not know me.

To clarify somewhat....it is correct that my landlady uses the driveway and therefore I cannot. My point was the following: There is literally room for 3 cars between my house and the one next door. There are NEW people (illegal tenants which I am aware of - and yes this HAS already been reported by myself as well as the local civic assoc.) who have decided that instead of parking on their block (of which there usually are spaces) they like the spot in front of my house. I don't have a problem with people parking in front of my house - I do have an issue with people who park in such a way as to take up more than one space thereby making it impossible for anyone to park in front or behind them.
I also wanted to add that my friendly neighbors all have their 'favorite' spaces and it's a common courtesy to allow each other those spaces.
Nor do I have a problem if someone is having a party and then I realize there are not enough spaces.

And to respond to some people who've said that it doesn't matter where your car is registered. AH but it does!! The law states that if you live in NYS for more than 30 days - your plates must be surrendered and exchanged (registered) for NEW YORK PLATES.

To address the 6" blocking our driveway. The way our driveway is and where the fence is - it was very very difficult for my landlady & best friend to pull out of her driveway around the SUV that was partially sticking into the driveway. She asked me as a favor to call the police which I did. If you all think this is ok, then I feel sorry for you.

In conclusion, I'm not old, I'm not jaded - but I AM sick to death of New Yorkers who are getting ruder ever day. I was and still am the type of person to get along with everyone. But at the same time - I'm probably ridiculously polite and law abiding. You have all proved one thing to me...that all this horrible behavior is accepted because 'this is New York'. I don't follow that at all and never will (even though I am a New Yorker by birth). Accepted Behavior becomes such because of people who just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

And yes, I do intend to leave NYC in 2 years...but it will be to live in a nice country home somewhere in New England where people are still polite and friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:30 PM

1,916 posts, read 2,836,718 times
A rant is a rant and yours was a pretty good one. Rants aren't really supposed to be rational and I should have thought about that before responding to your original post. It's difficult to get the police to take the time and come ticket a car. I just don't think it will ever happen unless it's the owner that's making the call. I don't think it's right that they're in any part of the driveway and it's the kind of thing that would shave years off of my life. That's one of the reasons I won't buy a house here - because I won't be able to just deal with whatever I get stuck with for neighbors for the rest of my life. The neighborhood you live in really doesn't matter - a lot of our neighborhoods were just like you described. But we are now forced to live stacked on top of each other like animals. I park at least 5 blocks from my house now when 5 years ago I had my choice of spots on the block. Our 20 year old car has been broken into 3 times. The last time was the final straw. We moved up our escape plan and we are leaving. If you're really planning on leaving then try to let this stuff roll off of you, knowing that at some point this will be behind you.

ps - I didn't declare you the NCL, I said you'd be labeled. Literally, with the post it notes. The problem is that no matter how right and justified your complaints might be, the simple fact is that most people just don't care. And if you're the one making noise, you'll be the one that is seen as being wrong. Brooklyn and Queens are still nice places for people looking to move here. But it's difficult to spend your life here and accept the changes. I would have lived forever in the Brooklyn I grew up in but it's gone and it ain't comin' back.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:38 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,572,840 times
I'm outta here too! This f'n city drives me NUTS! I cannot imagine why anyone would move here. I'm just trying to figure out where to go and how to find a job that is comparable to the relatively low-stress, do-my-own-thing/flexible and well-paid job I have here. So between my job, not knowing where to go and worrying about missing family when we leave, I'm STUCK for the moment!!

If a rant about parking helps you feel better, then please rant away. I can certainly understand your irritation with it all. It just seems to get ever worse.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 AM

7,864 posts, read 13,457,041 times
Seems like Bellerose is a local example of some of what is being discussed in the Death of Suburbia thread...

Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 276,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Seems like Bellerose is a local example of some of what is being discussed in the Death of Suburbia thread...
hardly, bellerose is very suburban like but it is also in the city, the homes are packed in tight, real city lots and there are buses on Jamaica ave or Hillside ave to the subways, express buses on Hillside to manhattan and in southern bellerose you can walk to the LIRR

Old 06-17-2008, 01:53 PM

7,864 posts, read 13,457,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
hardly, bellerose is very suburban like but it is also in the city, the homes are packed in tight, real city lots and there are buses on Jamaica ave or Hillside ave to the subways, express buses on Hillside to manhattan and in southern bellerose you can walk to the LIRR
Yeah but the population increase in suburbs that weren't really built to handle population increases is one of the main points in the articles in the other thread. That's mostly what I was referring to...

It's also the main reason the OP is complaining.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 PM

2,689 posts, read 276,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah but the population increase in suburbs that weren't really built to handle population increases is one of the main points in the articles in the other thread. That's mostly what I was referring to...

It's also the main reason the OP is complaining.
the problem in bellerose is that it was an old suburb that is being redeveloped in places, where there was a 1 family home that is being made into a 3 family home, the nature, scope and culture of the area is changing and IMHO the changes are not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City