Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 PM

35 posts, read 127,897 times

Advertisements

Hi Im trying to decide how far UES Im should look to. .
(Im relocating back to NY)
My aunt,many many moons ago lived in a rough part of the UES. SO some of my family is like -no!

But from what Ive read and heard it seems to have changed so much, that really Im certain its different.

I figure below 120th would be good and not too close to the water.

Any thoughts on this?
Tryng to find something affordable and still in manhattan-
(I cant believe how expensive LIC has gotten!)
thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:08 AM

468 posts, read 2,357,736 times
As far as I know, nobody calls anything above 96th Street the "Upper East Side." Above 96th is East Harlem. I'd be interested to know if that was ever different... I'd be surprised though. I think that was "Spanish Harlem" and "Italian Harlem" from an early age, and those were always excluded from the UES. Ask your aunt which streets she lived on.

That being said, there are projects between the FDR and 1st at 92nd through 96th. That's about the only area below 96th Street that I think could be considered "rough" in any sense of the word, unless there's really something I don't know over there. the UES is one of the most expensive parts of the city... LIC should be much cheaper.

Last edited by passdoubt; 06-17-2008 at 12:24 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Your family is correct, prior to the mid 90s, parts of First Ave were quite rough. Now there are doorman buildings across from the Stanley Isaacs projects on First Ave between 92nd and 96th St, but honestly they have always been harmless. No worries about living around them at all.

passdoubt is obviously correct that the UES stops at 96th street, where Spanish Harlem (which is now starting to turn a bit white) starts. There was an Italian neighborhood on Pleasant Avenue (a short Ave which is by the East River) around 116th Street but I doubt that neighborhood still exists..dunno.

But you should have no problem living in Spanish Harlem. The neighborhood has become more and more gentrified over the years, though there are far too many projects around for white people to completely take over..THANK GOODNESS.

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-17-2008 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: insulting

Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 AM

25 posts, read 82,772 times
I can tell you for certain that one group of people does call above 96th the UES: Real Estate Brokers. Seriously, I was looking for a place once in the 70s, 80s, Yorkville...many ads saying UES were 110th St and etc.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:47 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
There were lots of sketchy areas on the UES, but that has long fallen to the NYC gentrification. There is an enormous apartment building (Normandy Court) at 95th that demolished a whole block of apartments 20 years ago. To the others' point, the north side of Normandy Court has virtually no windows, back then everyone assumed that looking down at Harlem was not much of a citiscape. Things have changed -- just stay close to Central Park and the neighborhoods are fine east or west right up to the north end of the Park.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,209 times
96th street is definitely the border. Anything beyond that is not the UES!

And the Italian section of East Harlem on Pleasant Avenue recently ended a few years ago. The last of the restaurants have begun to close, if there are any still left. I believe there is still a pizzeria and maybe another restaurant left.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 PM

35 posts, read 127,897 times
Thanks for the updated info!

p.s your right aboutthe realtor use of UES.
(going further than usual)

If I recall my aunt was like in the upper 90s low avenue # and this wa like in the 80's

Well I see a lot of listings for like 116, 114 115 etc. and was curious about those.
thanks-

Last edited by ArtAddict; 06-18-2008 at 12:11 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM

64 posts, read 143,105 times
Somehow UES in the 90's isn't half as sketchy as the projects proliferation on the UWS. Something to be said about the original Harlem *eyeroll*

Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtAddict View Post
Hi Im trying to decide how far UES Im should look to. .
(Im relocating back to NY)
My aunt,many many moons ago lived in a rough part of the UES. SO some of my family is like -no!

But from what Ive read and heard it seems to have changed so much, that really Im certain its different.

I figure below 120th would be good and not too close to the water.

Any thoughts on this?
Tryng to find something affordable and still in manhattan-
(I cant believe how expensive LIC has gotten!)
thanks in advance.
what is your monthly budget? the upper east side is very expensive. if you're considering east harlem then thats more affordable, but not exactly cheap anymore either.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-18-2008, 02:12 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndTheCity View Post
Somehow UES in the 90's isn't half as sketchy as the projects proliferation on the UWS. Something to be said about the original Harlem *eyeroll*
Has something "sketchy" happened to you near the projects on the UWS? Or please clarify why you find it so dodgy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: