Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:16 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,181 times

Advertisements

The folks at flyertalk would read this thread in horror. This is the deal:

LaGuardia is restricted to flights less than 1500 miles, does not matter what country, which is why there are flights from Toronto, Montreal, Aruba, Nassau, and Bermuda. The only exception to this is Denver, which United lobbied to get, and Saturdays, when the rule is lifted. Delta used to fly to Los Angeles on Saturdays but recently dropped it and still flies to Salt Lake City.

LGA has more delays than JFK but all three are bad. Look at this link: BTS | Table 3 - Ranking of Major Airport On-Time Arrival Performance in May 2008
Of the top 32 airports, the bottom 3 are the 3 New York airports.

A big reason some prefer JFK is because it is the hub for Jetblue, whose low fares benefit them and force down fares of the competitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,697 times
Neither of them are great airports. JFK is a rat's maze and LGA is overcrowded. I fly from JFK more, but that's because I fly international. I would rather dig my eyes out with a spork than shlep to Newark.

For 4 years my "local" airport was London Heathrow. Compared to that, JFK is a breeze. At least there isn't an hour's walk from security to the gate while you're herded through a shopping mall, and I never did have an un-delayed flight coming out of LHR. Also, BA lost my bags in the T5 opening debacle!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:08 AM
luv

50 posts, read 169,305 times
I've had tons of easy flights from LaGuardia with no delays. I believe there is no long term parking at LaGuardia though, which can be problematic.

As far as location, it depends on where your final destination is. If you're going to Manhattan and have a ride, its much much closer to the city (practically right past the Triborough Bridge).

Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 AM

101 posts, read 300,696 times
Ahh so this is why I have to take the little bus from the gate to the plane. there's only two runways!
I am green, so forgive me, but what is the Q33? A bus?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,567 times
If I'm able to - I don't go to either. I'm closer to White Plains airport and I find that one much more enjoyable than LGA and JFK.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
Ahh so this is why I have to take the little bus from the gate to the plane. there's only two runways!
I am green, so forgive me, but what is the Q33? A bus?
Yup, it's a bus.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 13,102 times
Thumbs up JFK IS better than LaGuardia

I personally like Newark the best because it's the least packed, very clean, and you can catch the Amtrak or NJtransit right there from Penn station.

But in NYC, JFK is better because you can take the A train straight there any time of the day, even in rush hour, no traffic. You don't HAVE to take a cab like LGA, and usually LGA is slammed with people and has the most lines and flight delays, or you sit on the runway waiting in your plane to take off for up to an hour!!!!

Stick to JFK.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
From the East Side, getting to Newark is just as bad as getting to one's ultimate destination. LaGuardia is always my first choice, followed by JFK.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 AM

536 posts, read 2,348,253 times
I've always lived on Long Island and in Eastern Queens, so JFK is the natural first choice. Never even been to the Newark airport.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM

536 posts, read 2,348,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielscommute View Post
You don't HAVE to take a cab like LGA
Well... you don't HAVE to take a cab to LGA either... but the reality of dragging luggage onto the 7 train and then on the Q33 or Q72 is not ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City