Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:53 AM

175 posts, read 549,753 times

Advertisements

Fred314X: For future reference, is the conductor just riding the train in a uniform, or is there some kind of special booth in the middle of the train? As I said, I've never seen any uniformed person inside the train, but maybe I've never been in the middle train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
The conductor wears an MTA uniform and can be found in one of the two middle cars of the train. There's a small compartment where he/she rides -- it's not accessible to passengers from the inside of the train, but if you're standing on the platform you can talk with the conductor when he/she opens the windows to check that the doors are closed.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Well, it depends on the particular model of train in service. Some of the older models do not have "transverse cabs," (you'll be most likely to ride these on the C, E and J lines) and the conductor is supposed to be standing outside the cab while the train is moving between stations. But, yes, the conductor is in uniform.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
... and the conductor is supposed to be standing outside the cab while the train is moving between stations.
Really? I almost never see a conductor outside the cab, unless he/she is moving from one car to another on those older trains you mentioned. Do they know they're supposed to be out there??? (LOL ... )

Old 06-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Trust me, they know it. If you see a conductor working on a train that doesn't have the transverse cabs, and he or she isn't standing outside the cab while the train is between stations, you have the right to ask why. You also have the right to ask why the conductors' announcements aren't clear, or in complete sentences, as they're supposed to be. (When I was a conductor, I made good announcements. So it always bothered me when any of my co-workers didn't).

Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 AM

175 posts, read 549,753 times
Although some announcers are clear, I can't understand what is being said on most of the trains. Part of it is soft-spoken speakers, but the acoustics of the speaker system on the trains is terrible.

I'll have to look for the conductor when I'm in NYC next week.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:54 AM

It's true; some trains have speaker systems that work better than others! It's also true that some conductors work better than others (he said, with a smile).

Old 06-25-2008, 11:10 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
Hey Fred, you have some great information on the subway.

I'm curious -- how much easier is the conductor's job on the new trains that have the automated recorded voice announcing each station? It's nice being able to clearly hear this information, but honestly, that cheerful recorded voice saying "stand clear of the closing doors please!" over and over again gets kind of annoying. It makes me miss the "personality" that some conductors impart into their announcements.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Hey Fred, you have some great information on the subway.

I'm curious -- how much easier is the conductor's job on the new trains that have the automated recorded voice announcing each station? It's nice being able to clearly hear this information, but honestly, that cheerful recorded voice saying "stand clear of the closing doors please!" over and over again gets kind of annoying. It makes me miss the "personality" that some conductors impart into their announcements.
I agree! It's nice and audible, but I'd rather have some guy garbling over a crappy audio system, just because of the life it adds to the train.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I'm curious -- how much easier is the conductor's job on the new trains that have the automated recorded voice announcing each station?
Should be easier, it's one less button to touch. You'll find a few conductors who still make announcements even on the newer trains. Mostly announcing detours and whatnot, but I had this one conductor on the 2 train on a few Saturday mornings that would announce the stops between trip, right before the automated announcement. Very annoying, but informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City