U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:01 PM

2,731 posts, read 3,222,637 times
I really highly advise you to take the College Point apartment. You're most likely not gonna get anything better in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 05:39 PM

81 posts, read 265,401 times
the college point apt sounds good but everything that glitters aint gold.....when looking for a section 8 apt recently with my aunt i saw alot of 1 bedrooms being cut into two teeny tiny bedrooms and that type of thing.............but good luck also try this list New York City Housing Authority i just want to point out for the record that theres nothing availible in harlem and mabye about 4 apts that i bet are in terrible condition in bed stuy.......unless you want to be exiled to the back of brooklyn, way out in queens or some rat infested bronx apts. section 8 is pretty useless in nyc. although some nycha developments will be accepting section 8....which is good.....unless your on the housing waiting list
  1. What is the “Section 8 Voluntary Transition Program”?

As a part of its “Plan to Preserve Public Housing” released in April 2006, the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) proposed to transition 8,400 of over 20,000 public housing apartments in 21 developments originally built by the State or City to the Section 8 program. In spring 2006, this proposal was presented to residents through a series of public meetings. NYCHA is again meeting with residents to provide additional details on the Section 8 Voluntary Transition Program, how it could benefit their families, and to seek input prior to NYCHA's formal application to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Back to the Top
  2. Why is NYCHA offering Section 8 vouchers only to City/State developments?
    Unlike federal developments, 21 NYCHA developments built by the City and the State do not receive any form of operating subsidy. In fact, in 2005, operating costs at these 21 developments exceeded rents collected by $82 million, forcing NYCHA to utilize subsidies intended for other developments to ensure the continued operation of these non-federal properties. The proposed Section 8 Voluntary Transition Program will bring needed resources to the City and State developments and ensure that the rents remain affordable. NYCHA's goal is to preserve public housing and secure the future viability of these 21 City and State developments.

Back to the Top
  3. Why is NYCHA proposing this now?
    NYCHA began its 2006 fiscal year with a $168 million deficit, half of which is attributable to the costs of the City/State developments. Up to now, NYCHA has used its federal subsidy to fund operations at these 21 developments. Given that federal funding is not keeping pace with rising costs, NYCHA can no longer maintain the City's public housing stock without a new funding stream. Therefore, 8,400 Section 8 vouchers will be used in the City/State developments as one of several actions intended to close the Authority's $168 million funding gap.

Back to the Top

Last edited by DewDrop149; 07-05-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: bad link

Old 07-05-2008, 08:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,415,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleys_of_hills View Post
That's like saying that firefighters cause fires, because wherever firefighters go, there tends to be a fire.
Correlation does not imply causation.
You're engaging in semantics here. Firefighters don't run around with matches and cans of gasoline.

Read the article. A lot of what was proposed makes sense. Logically it would also make sense.

An abnormally high percentage of people living in the PJs are invovled with crime. If you move these individuals out of the PJs and into other neighborhoods, do they suddenly stop engaging in deviant behavior? The answer seems to be no.

I'm not overly surprised by this. If you remember correctly....Le Corbusier's original theory on putting apartment buildings in a park (which makes up the vast majority of PJ buildings in the city) was that it was that doing so was going to make people more virtuous by putting them in a park-like setting.

Are people who live in the PJs more virtuous than those living in tenements? Personally I don't think so. Are people who live in Section 8 apartments better than those living in the PJs? I don't think so. Its the same folks with the same problems in life. Moving them from one locale to another doesn't fix the underlying issues (anti-social behavior, law breaking, criminal activities, etc) it simply shifts the problem.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:28 AM

838 posts, read 171,668 times
That's what I was thinking. You're lucky they accept section 8 in college point. Honestly, if I was you, and if I was able to, I would just work two jobs and get something better. I would rather cram myself and my family into a nice large one bedroom apt in a decent area that might not accept section 8, than some project-like section 8 housing..not to say all of it's like that.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM

37 posts, read 77,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Are people who live in the PJs more virtuous than those living in tenements? Personally I don't think so. Are people who live in Section 8 apartments better than those living in the PJs? I don't think so. Its the same folks with the same problems in life. Moving them from one locale to another doesn't fix the underlying issues (anti-social behavior, law breaking, criminal activities, etc) it simply shifts the problem.
Even in neighborhoods where Section 8 tenants are highly concentrated, they're not going to make up a large percentage of the populace. Most people in them are not on Section 8. Where do you think people on Section 8 are going to move to? Studies show that the vast majority of them move to neighborhoods that have high crime levels. (stats on displaced public housing residents in Chicago show this)
In Chicago for instance, which is known for notoriously bad projects, the highest crime rates are in neighborhoods that do NOT have public housing (Garfield Park, Englewood, Lawndale). Compare them to Bronzeville, which is almost %100 poor black families, is almost completely resided by public housing residents, and has relatively low crime when comparing it to neighborhoods of similar demographics. PJ residents and Section 8 tenants can't commit crime, or else they lose their subsidized housing (except in crazy cities like San Francisco, which don't enforce these rules). A lot of criminal activity on public housing property is committed by people who don't even live in them -- gang members (drug dealers), drug addicts, etc etc.. What you're doing is making an assumption that the correlation implies a causation, without any actual evidence -- based on logical but simplistic reasoning.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
According to this article: American Murder Mystery

Section 8 is causing an upswing in crime in former decent neighborhoods. So wherever you go with your Section 8 will soon become a bad neighborhood.

To quote the article: "Crime is going along with them.
I agree with you you are so right

Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,635 times
Thanx to everyone who reply at my Thread
I haven't found one, but by the grace of god
I'll be getting one

I'm going to see Graig listhttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/BUTTERFLY-7_photo/73.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City