Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM

205 posts, read 720,606 times

Advertisements

NYC -- I am an unemployed IT worker who was layed off from my company recently. I have a 2007 Nissan that is worth some cash and a little bit of savings and a decent resume/college education. I am getting concerned about the west coast car culture and thinking about selling my car and moving to NYC. People out here (Seattle and Cali) are always telling me how expensive NYC is and that I should just stay out here. Well, this economy sucks and I hate sitting in traffic. My car payment plus insurance plus gas comes to $1000 per month (and going up) and my rent is around $800. If I ditched the car, easy math shows I could afford $1800 per month in rent in the city. I don't want to pay that much in rent, but I would like to get some feedback from people that don't own autos and live happily in NYC. I see a big crash coming in the crude markets and I don't want to be paying so much money to run around in traffic for hours. Let me ask you NYC -- what would you do? I am getting complacent in my career and behind on my finances and getting laid off as a programmer/analyst in Seattle (where costs are high) is leaving me feeling like I want to be in a real city with transit options. I remember back in Boston, I never needed a car. Does this philosophy match yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
If this is where you want to live, then you should feel free to do so. You really don't need a car around here, and that will save you money on insurance and gas, which can be put to rent, like you said, you could pretty easily find somewhere in the area for $1,500 or less in a great neighborhood. One thing though, I HIGHLY suggest that you try to find a job here first, because it would be a real bummer, if you moved in, and couldn't find a new place to work. Careers are plenty, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, but it does so happen that some people come here, and can't find anything.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
You should know, however, that many landlords require proof of income (40x the monthly rent) before they'll consider renting to you.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,548 times
After my car died in February, I decided to be carless for the first time in many years. It has been surprisingly easy and has saved a ton of money. It's also nice not to have to worry about oil changes, repairs, inspections, etc. It's so much easier to get on the subway/train/bus and go. Admitedly, we had to change our habits somewhat. My wife liked to go to Target, which was a ten minute drive, but more like 1/2 hr on public transportation. It's also more difficult to lug purchases home without the car, so we've been spending less.

If you decide to do the move, be aware that public transportation access varies in the city, and some places are easier than others be without a car. It's much easier to find a job while you are in New York rather than Seattle, although you can try. Perhaps you have a friend in New York whose couch you could crash on for a while? If you live in a desirable part of Seattle, you may be able to arrange some kind of vacation exchange which would give you a little time here to look for work. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM

What about a craigslist room? I doubt every landlord in NYC needs proof of income and 4x the rent payment in income...that's more for professional stuff. I'm talking about selling my car and moving into a cheaper housing situation and then get a job and upgrade the apartment to something more professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You should know, however, that many landlords require proof of income (40x the monthly rent) before they'll consider renting to you.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM

I dont have anyone in NYC with a couch I can crash on. I've seen ads on craigslist for cheap rooms in Washington Heights and west Bronx. Do all folks ask for verifiable income these days? What if you pay cash for the first few months rent and let them know you are looking for work? Wouldn't that be ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
After my car died in February, I decided to be carless for the first time in many years. It has been surprisingly easy and has saved a ton of money. It's also nice not to have to worry about oil changes, repairs, inspections, etc. It's so much easier to get on the subway/train/bus and go. Admitedly, we had to change our habits somewhat. My wife liked to go to Target, which was a ten minute drive, but more like 1/2 hr on public transportation. It's also more difficult to lug purchases home without the car, so we've been spending less.

If you decide to do the move, be aware that public transportation access varies in the city, and some places are easier than others be without a car. It's much easier to find a job while you are in New York rather than Seattle, although you can try. Perhaps you have a friend in New York whose couch you could crash on for a while? If you live in a desirable part of Seattle, you may be able to arrange some kind of vacation exchange which would give you a little time here to look for work. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlee206 View Post
I dont have anyone in NYC with a couch I can crash on. I've seen ads on craigslist for cheap rooms in Washington Heights and west Bronx. Do all folks ask for verifiable income these days? What if you pay cash for the first few months rent and let them know you are looking for work? Wouldn't that be ok?

Yes, it's usually ok for a sublet. They may check your references since no one wants to get stuck living with a crazy, unstable person, but you can give personal references and not work references. If it's a 3-month sublet and you are paying all three months in advance, I don't see why most people won't think this is ok.

However, one problem you might have is searching for a sublet from a distance. Maybe this would be ok with some, but I know when I was subletting my place (the entire apartment, not just a room), I did not even bother to reply to those who were not already in NYC. I was not going to rent to someone I could not lay my eyes on and meet in person.

Still, you may be able to find a place from a distance. Or pay 2 nights in a hotel and just spend 2 solid days looking for a place.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Good advice Henna. Maybe I should crash somewhere for a few days in the city and explore/find a place. Let me ask you this: If I came to NYC and had my car somewhere until I could sell it, how much is 24x7 secured parking going to cost me?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Good advice Henna. Maybe I should crash somewhere for a few days in the city and explore/find a place. Let me ask you this: If I came to NYC and had my car somewhere until I could sell it, how much is 24x7 secured parking going to cost me?
Seriously, just find somewhere on the street, and park it.. it's not that dangerous to leave your car around. Just don't leave anything too valuable on the inside, as for what I've seen, the only people who've had their cars broken into, have had something of worth laying on or around the driver seat.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:

I don't know since I always park on the street for free. But I suspect that an outer borough garage is going to be about $250-$300 a month. I don't know the daily rates. You could google and then call the one in Jackson Heights (Queens) on 82nd St to get an idea of rates (it is only 2 blocks to the 7 train).

Plus there have been threads on this forum about garage parking - why don't you search the forum and get some links.

Manhattan garages are going to be more expensive than outer borough ones generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City