Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 21,726 times

Advertisements

What are they like, and just how complicated is the home purchase procedure, given that they are co-ops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
I lived nearby most of my life, and spent my teen years misbehaving in both places, so I know them well.

I could expound on these communities a whole lot more. But let me start by saying this...(and disclaimer, this is not my opinion on how it should be, it just is the way it is, and likely will not change anytime soon).

If you are not white, keep looking. These are very insulated (read: racist) communities that will block anyone who isn't white from buying. Since you need references from several board members to be approved for either, it's easy to do. Been hearing stories for years on it.

With that said, I have numerous friends who are shareholders in both. Silver Beach is far nicer.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,628 times
Came to say the same thing

If you aren't white, don't bother.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 21,726 times
Thanks for the responses. I'm surprised that Throgg's Neck is so remote that I've only gotten two replies to this thread.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:36 PM

Well, not only is Throggs Neck a little remote (it may as well be the suburbs in terms of public transportation), but you're also asking about 2 sub-sections of the neighborhood.

Happy to answer any questions you have about the area, though.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:45 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
I grew up in TN (and hung out with Liz in said communities lol). Most of my mom's family lives in Edgewater, both my parents grew up there. While there's not much diversity, there is some- especially since they're being sued for discriminatory practices. (As was Silver Beach but they settled.) IMO, Edgewater is more diverse than SB.

Re: Getting passed the Board. The rules are relatively stringent. You no longer need recommendations from the shareholders (it was defeatist for those with no ties to EPOC) but will need to provide references from your employer along with friends/family. You will need to provide a $hit load of financial information to them (most of which is really none of their business, imo). They also only deal with 2 banks for mortgages- Citibank and Amalgamated. And there are only 2 realtors allowed to do business within the park as well.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:04 PM

432 posts, read 551,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Crassus View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm surprised that Throgg's Neck is so remote that I've only gotten two replies to this thread.
a few weeks ago there was a 10+ page thread on the fall of throggs neck.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I grew up in TN (and hung out with Liz in said communities lol). Most of my mom's family lives in Edgewater, both my parents grew up there. While there's not much diversity, there is some- especially since they're being sued for discriminatory practices. (As was Silver Beach but they settled.) IMO, Edgewater is more diverse than SB.

Re: Getting passed the Board. The rules are relatively stringent. You no longer need recommendations from the shareholders (it was defeatist for those with no ties to EPOC) but will need to provide references from your employer along with friends/family. You will need to provide a $hit load of financial information to them (most of which is really none of their business, imo). They also only deal with 2 banks for mortgages- Citibank and Amalgamated. And there are only 2 realtors allowed to do business within the park as well.
Hiya!!!

Wow, didn't know that update. That could definitely help. If you can get approved by the board, I'm still not sure that either is a community you might feel comfortable in as anything other than white, but that would be up to you. Hell, I'm white, and as a non-racist, feel very uncomfortable hanging out with some of my friends from back in the day (all of whom live in Edgewater).

That said, the prices are cheap for Edgewater. Silver Beach is more expensive. Both are co-op communities, so on top of your mortgage, you also pay maintenance (I know EP's is around $350 a month). Houses and lots are quite small - usually all that separates you from a neighbor is an alley. Many houses are 2 bedrooms. If you know TN at all, you'll be aware of the limited public transportation.

Any questions, just post, and we'll get 'em answered

Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Hiya!!!

Wow, didn't know that update. That could definitely help. If you can get approved by the board, I'm still not sure that either is a community you might feel comfortable in as anything other than white, but that would be up to you. Hell, I'm white, and as a non-racist, feel very uncomfortable hanging out with some of my friends from back in the day (all of whom live in Edgewater).
Hey Chickie!
That said, the prices are cheap for Edgewater. Silver Beach is more expensive. Both are co-op communities, so on top of your mortgage, you also pay maintenance (I know EP's is around $350 a month). Houses and lots are quite small - usually all that separates you from a neighbor is an alley. Many houses are 2 bedrooms. If you know TN at all, you'll be aware of the limited public transportation.

Any questions, just post, and we'll get 'em answered
I agree, I'm sorta part time in Edgewater - crashing at my parents ' for part of the work week. There's definitely still some shockingly racist attitudes. And they don't attempt to hide it. However I think it's far far better than it was even 15-20 years ago.

Prices are really affordable. I think my parents paid 69k 2 years ago. However, there put about that in renovations. Some needed and others purely choice. Still a bargain. Taxes and maintenance are based on how many shares you hold. My parents pay around $325 a month. Factor in their 15 year mortgage and it's cheaper than the apt they rented for 36 years. Granted, the house is only 700 square feet. But it's just them and me in the closet aka 2nd bedroom a couple nights a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City