Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,722 times

Advertisements

So I typically follow all the developments happening in my neighborhood, and I came across a gross discrepancy by the city and developers. There are 2 newly constructed affordable housing developments, but the neighborhood descriptions are clearly inconsistent.

The first is labeled "Mott Haven" and it lies on 152nd street, which I believe is the border of Mott Haven and Melrose (not 149st):

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...52STBXAPTS.pdf
DHCR Funds Help Bronx Renaissance Continue (broken link)
(this is an article about the building with pictures, quite nice and great location 4 blocks from the 2/5 Jackson Avenue train and 4 blocks to the 149st 6 train, the building has free gated parking onsite and visitor parking, attended lobby, and "Sobro Cafe" across the street!)

The second is labeled "Melrose" but it lies 1 block south of 149st, which is clearly Mott Haven!:

http://www.nychdc.com/pdf/ProjectAdvertisements/granite.terrace.pdf (broken link)

Both of these developments are Mott Haven! Nevertheless, both of these developments are vacant (the 152nd street building is still 2/3 vacant), so if anyone is interested they are both still taking applications (ignore the deadlines)...just be sure you meet the income requirements and good luck as the buildings are awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 02:27 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
I never qualify for "affordable" housing. I'm a teacher and I don't make a lot, especially after Uncle Sam takes his cut. Yet, they never seem to put houses in that allow someone with my salary to qualify for. I either make too much or (rarely) too little. It is so annoying and frustrating. It's like I'm being punished. The fact that I have no children does not help matters either.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Sam82..they are also building brand new affordable housing specifically FOR TEACHERS in Melrose. There is affordable housing available to you, you just need to be more resourcesful and take the time to look. It doesn't hurt either to make compromises, as most people have to just to live in the city.

Cheaper NYC teachers' housing could be model - USATODAY.com
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/200...using_p-2.html

Old 06-24-2008, 03:15 PM

I've been trying for three years. I think that would qualify as patient. As I mentioned, I rarely qualify for the programs. There are about 80,000 teachers in NYC public schools. The housing you are referring to is open to teachers and paras in the public and private schools. What are the odds of being accepted? I say slim. All I am saying is that they need to include higher incomes for these programs.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:25 PM

Well I provide you with exactly the option that you seek, affordable housing on a teacher's salary, and all you have to say is " What are the odds of being accepted? I say slim." No wonder you have been "trying" for three years. Your best bet is probably to move out of the city at this point.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM

What i meant by "trying" is that I have been combing the papers and applying to the few programs that I qualified for, with no luck. It is very upsetting. The whole situation is unfair. I just think that the limits are too strict. I read the article you posted and tried to find out about an application. I don't want to get my hopes up. As I have already said, I've been disappointed too many times.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM

Keep trying..nothing in life is easy. If you want it bad enough...you will find a way!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. If it is meant to be, it will happen.

I just think that the city is making a mistake by making the affordable housing market so unattainable. If you look at teacher retention rates, they are not very high in urban cities like New York. Failure to make a decent living is a major reason that many teachers leave cities for suburbs or other higher paying careers.

Anyway, I think I have gotten off topic a little.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 AM

106 posts, read 392,871 times
As a single individual with a Masters' Degree and five years of teaching experience, earning approximately $60,000/year, my income disqualifies me from participating in the lottery for the proposed affordable teacher housing.

I agree with Sam that the income ceilings are too low.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Nothing has been set in stone yet regarding pricing, if you are serious about affordable housing, I would contact the Union, as they are playing a role in the development. Maybe they need to reconsider salary requirements as they may in fact be too low!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City