Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,205,735 times

Advertisements

What a great thread. I've been spending the last half hour reading the posts and laughing at the experiences. I love the NYC subway system. What a way to get to where you want to be. It is never dull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Agreed. The automated voice is gratingly vanilla. They also have it announcing stops on the Nassau County buses and it makes the ride an awful annoyance since bus stops are every 2 blocks haha.

One weird conductor was on the LIRR on the Babylon line. He would pronounce it "Babbilyn", intoned like "Maryland" instead of the regular way with the stress on the "lon" part, and it would visibly irk other passengers.
hah, there's a babylon line conductor who also says "maaaaaaaaasapequa"...almost like a baa-ing sheep!

Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM

76 posts, read 178,872 times
I hate the computerized guy's voice that says "Stand clear of the closing doors, please." The way it is intoned makes it seem really condescending. Like the guy meant to say, "I can't believe I have to say this for the millionth time, but don't block the doors you idiots."

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,282,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
I hate the computerized guy's voice that says "Stand clear of the closing doors, please." The way it is intoned makes it seem really condescending. Like the guy meant to say, "I can't believe I have to say this for the millionth time, but don't block the doors you idiots."

The computer guy's extra voice clips are even more condescending.

"Backpacks and other large containers are subject to random search by the police."

"Please do not block the doors while the train is in the station."

"If you see a suspicious package or activity, do not keep it to yourself. Tell a police officer or an MTA employee. Remain ALERT and be safe."

And my personal favorite. My ALL-TIME personal favorite condescending computer guy voice clip:

"If you see an elderly, pregnant, or handicapped person near you, please offer your seat. You’ll be standing up for what’s right. Courtesy is contagious and it begins with you."

Thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,830,819 times
I've never heard of the one that's your all time favorite. Strange...

The computerized announcements are boring. There was a woman computer voice on the N/W line, and it said the Broadway stop in Astoria in the scariest voice, lol.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,136,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
There was an off-topic conversation about subway conductors in another thread.

I thought it would be fun to hear stories of some of the funnier or more unusual things you've heard conductors say or do.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a story to begin with. I guess I've had only boring conductors. But I'll bet some of you have some stories.
One day me and my daughter were on the Manhattan bound D train we were at 86th Street- Bay Parkway of course here come people trying to hold the doors open for other's to come in so the conductor goes " stand clear the closing doors,please that was the first time. The second time he goes "please, stand clear the closing doors, do not hold the doors open" the people still not listening to him so finally he YELLS " I SAID stand clear the open doors!!!!!" my daughter and me were on the floor cracking up mind you that was our stop to get off but we were laughing so hard.
He was so upset after the third time and was agitated but his face was unforgettable such disgust... LoL

Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
He was so upset after the third time and was agitated but his face was unforgettable such disgust... LoL
Let me tell you, speaking as a former conductor...I'm glad you found that funny. Because it wasn't. If you had even half an idea of what we have to go through working on those trains, you wouldn't have been laughing.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:25 AM

44 posts, read 91,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
The computer guy's extra voice clips are even more condescending.

"Backpacks and other large containers are subject to random search by the police."

"Please do not block the doors while the train is in the station."

"If you see a suspicious package or activity, do not keep it to yourself. Tell a police officer or an MTA employee. Remain ALERT and be safe."

And my personal favorite. My ALL-TIME personal favorite condescending computer guy voice clip:

"If you see an elderly, pregnant, or handicapped person near you, please offer your seat. You’ll be standing up for what’s right. Courtesy is contagious and it begins with you."

Thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit.
The best is sometimes evenings/nights when the announcements kick in, one right after another, and repeat themselves. Just when you think you can go back to your music, here comes the warning about keeping an eye on your stuff.

Still, I'd rather be a frazzled, stressed out New York City straphanger than a frazzled, stressed out motorist anywhere else.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:00 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
Actually, Jeff, those announcements don't "kick in." The conductor on the train is pushing a button and they're playing. (It's not that conductors are trying to keep you from your music. MTA had those computerized announcements installed, and wants them to be played. I must say, I'm very happy that I got called for the promotion to tower operator, which happened just as the R-160 cars were being introduced, because I'm not a big fan of those cars and wasn't looking forward to working on them).

Old 10-04-2009, 12:58 AM

44 posts, read 91,262 times
Thanks for the info, Fred. Didn't know if those were automatic or conductor-controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City