Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times

Advertisements

Regarding the car service, call right now to find out their particulars. You may have to have an account set up with them in advance of your pickup request. I know I was stuck on the street in Manhattan and couldn't get them to take me either when I asked a driver or when I called up. I had to contact my son who had a standing account and have him arrange a pickup for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:59 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Hi, rlrl. Welcome to the complex and fascinating world of flying in 2008!

First, your concerns about LaGuardia:
When I was a kid, my parents and I used to drive to LaGuardia on Sundays sometimes and watch the planes. I understand your concern about runway length. The runway length was extended some time ago, and the planes that use LaGuardia have enough room to do what they need to do. I would cheerfully fly in an out from LaGuardia under any kind of normal flying conditions, other than zero visibility in a blizzard when any airport would be shut down.

Fear of crashing:
The fear is exciting, but crashing happens so rarely, especially compared with the actual number of flights per day, that it's hardly worth even considering. My only bow in that direction is to always fly on decent airlines, never cheapo carriers, so that I have some assurance of seasoned pilots, seasoned mechanics, etc. If you meditate on the various experiences you haven't had yet in life, and why you want to have them, you will already have detached your life from crashing. Get it?

Car Service:
Google car service Riverdale NY and see what you get. There should be a choice of possibilities. A few weeks before your trip, phone 2 or 3 and do some comparison shopping. The best for you is not necessarily the least expensive -- you'll want a company that will take and keep your reservations for going and coming back. Then phone your local Better Business Bureau and see if there are any serious complaints on file for those companies.

Time allowance:
It's a great idea when flying nowadays to allow at least a half-hour, even better an hour, more than all the time you've arithmetically decided you need. More is always better; you can always read, or gaze out the airport windows at the planes, and feel so pleased with yourself that you did everything so well that you're not rushed or confused For the hundreds of times I've flown, I will always choose relaxed over rushed.

Footsteps:
You realize, don't you rlrl, that it makes no difference what others have done in the past about anything, as long as what YOU do enhances your feeling of well being? Just hold that priority in your mind: that you're making choices that make you feel comfortable. Okay? Because that's all that matters.

Car vs Limousine:
One is usually smaller, the size of any average passenger car, the other larger and far, far more expensive. Unless you want to drink champagne behind heavily-tinted windows (think prom night....), a car service would be fine, right? When you book them, remember YOU are employing them, so YOU get to make the decisions.

Book car in advance?
Absolutely. Then phone them 3 days ahead of time to make sure they're still on Earth, and on your side. Then again the day before your trip. Don't assume....

Packing stuff:
- Your correct ID, your ticket, your boarding pass, your paper cash, your credit card: do not do not do not carry any of these in your hand, or in a location that can be pickpocketed or grabbed with some ease. Protect yourself well.
- Do not detach your hand from your suitcase at any time, under any circumstances. Period. Until you must do so at the TSA checkpoint. Then attach yourself again to your carry-on and do not detach. Protect yourself well.
- Are you aware that many/most airlines are now charging extra money for checked luggage? $15 for the first piece, $25 for EACH piece thereafter. It's necessary for them to find some way to pay for the fuel which is driving them out of business... If you can fly with one piece that's 20" long or less, you can stow it in the overhead bin as "carry-on" luggage that you don't have to check, and so don't have to wait for and retrieve after your plane lands -- and maybe not have because somehow it was sent to Kansas. Carry-on luggage CANNOT contain any of the items specified on the TSA website as not allowed in carry-ons.
- Most recently, CD players, CDs and headphones are allowed on board. But don't take a stranger's word for it: check the TSA website (see below).
- How long do you expect to be in Atlanta? If less than a month, don't pack all the geegaws -- blades, rechargeable toothbrush, gel insoles, large selection of CDs, etc. etc. You're not MOVING down there, right? You can pack a normal manual toothbrush and floss, and BUY there what you really can't live without.
Your deodorant, toothpaste, liquids, gels, creams, aerosols CANNOT be in a container larger than specified on the TSA website. (Unless specifically not allowed, or not allowed by implication, in the language on the TSA website, you can pack your rechargable toothbrush in your carry-on. But don't take a stranger's word for anything; study the website.)
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel
FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. Do not get creative.

As far as metals are concerned --
watch, rings, all jewelry, coins, etc. -- way before you get to the line for the TSA security inspection -- preferably before you leave home where no one will be watching you -- have all those things already put in a small clear plastic ziplock bag, which you're carrying in a pocket that can't be pickpocketed.

TSA inspection:
- The TSA security inspections are extremely serious matters. It makes no difference what a person might think of them politically -- what does matter is that if you joke out loud, are not prepared with your items ready as required on the website, do not remove your jacket(s)/coat and shoes, and do not have your required ID and boarding pass and ticket in your hand, you will not have the personnel "on your side". So just rehearse in your mind the procedure I describe here, and you'll be fine.
- Before getting in line, discard into a trash can any drinks you are carrying, SEALED OR UNSEALED water bottle, soda can, coffee cup, and any uneaten food.
- While you're slowly walking through the roped-off area, on the line to the TSA inspection site, there are posted signs reminding you every 15 feet what you need to do.
- Watch the people before you who are already in the inspection and see what it's like; it's harmless.
- When you get to the place of the actual TSA inspection of you and your belongings, put the bag of metal items, and the bag with your liquids, and your shoes, and your jacket/coat, and ALL carried items (piece of carry-on luggage and handbag or similar, book, magazine) into the bins provided, or right onto the conveyor belt if they're too large for the bins; fold your jacket/coat small. Everything is destined to slide through the X-ray machine.
- HOLD all items from moving ahead of you (so that the passenger ahead of you in line can't walk away with your possessions).
- WAIT calmly.
- When the TSA officer tells you to send your items through, let go of them and the belt will carry them through.
- You can smile politely to any TSA officer; do not chat, do not start a conversation. When the officer and you are done, you can smile and say "Thank you"; he or she will appreciate your random act of kindness to him or her.
- The officer will look at your ID and other paperwork. If all is okay, he/she will hand it all to you.
- He/she will wave for you to walk through the metal detector. If you have arterial stents, schrapnel or other metal objects inside your body, carry on you, easily retrieved, your documentation; by the way, cardiac stents and dental metal don't show up on metal detectors; I know -- I have them.
- When you've walked through the metal detector, and no alarms have sounded, the TSA officer on that side of the detector will be looking at the clothes you're wearing to make a determination if you are hiding anything inside layers. He/she will wave you on and usually say "OK".
- Grab your shoes; put them on. Gather all your possessions, a little distance from the metal detector where the conveyor belt took them. Grab your stuff, move on, stop at a chair or table nearby to rearrange yourself. All done!
- There is no TSA inspection after your flight. The next time you do this procedure, you will be queueing up to fly again.

More questions? C'mon back!! Happy planning!

Last edited by allforcats; 06-28-2008 at 12:21 AM..

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Hi, rlrl. Welcome to the complex and fascinating world of flying in 2008!

First, your concerns about LaGuardia:
When I was a kid, my parents and I used to drive to LaGuardia on Sundays sometimes and watch the planes. I understand your concern about runway length. The runway length was extended some time ago, and the planes that use LaGuardia have enough room to do what they need to do. I would cheerfully fly in an out from LaGuardia under any kind of normal flying conditions, other than zero visibility in a blizzard when any airport would be shut down.

Fear of crashing:
The fear is exciting, but crashing happens so rarely, especially compared with the actual number of flights per day, that it's hardly worth even considering. My only bow in that direction is to always fly on decent airlines, never cheapo carriers, so that I have some assurance of seasoned pilots, seasoned mechanics, etc. If you meditate on the various experiences you haven't had yet in life, and why you want to have them, you will already have detached your life from crashing. Get it?

Car Service:
Google car service Riverdale NY and see what you get. There should be a choice of possibilities. A few weeks before your trip, phone 2 or 3 and do some comparison shopping. The best for you is not necessarily the least expensive -- you'll want a company that will take and keep your reservations for going and coming back. Then phone your local Better Business Bureau and see if there are any serious complaints on file for those companies. **I called a service in my area. They said I could book a day in advance and going on the advice of another poster i can set up an account with them but i can't do that until Monday and i don't know what the difference would be**

Time allowance:
It's a great idea when flying nowadays to allow at least a half-hour, even better an hour, more than all the time you've arithmetically decided you need. More is always better; you can always read, or gaze out the airport windows at the planes, and feel so pleased with yourself that you did everything so well that you're not rushed or confused For the hundreds of times I've flown, I will always choose relaxed over rushed. **I'll follow in dad's footsteps for this one!! **

Footsteps:
You realize, don't you rlrl, that it makes no difference what others have done in the past about anything, as long as what YOU do enhances your feeling of well being? Just hold that priority in your mind: that you're making choices that make you feel comfortable. Okay? Because that's all that matters. **see above!!**

Car vs Limousine:
One is usually smaller, the size of any average passenger car, the other larger and far, far more expensive. Unless you want to drink champagne behind heavily-tinted windows (think prom night....), a car service would be fine, right? When you book them, remember YOU are employing them, so YOU get to make the decisions. **I can't drink I'm on medications!!**

Book car in advance?
Absolutely. Then phone them 3 days ahead of time to make sure they're still on Earth, and on your side. Then again the day before your trip. Don't assume....

Packing stuff:
- Your correct ID, your ticket, your boarding pass, your paper cash, your credit card: do not do not do not carry any of these in your hand, or in a location that can be pickpocketed or grabbed with some ease. Protect yourself well.
- Do not detach your hand from your suitcase at any time, under any circumstances. Period. Until you must do so at the TSA checkpoint. Then attach yourself again to your carry-on and do not detach. Protect yourself well. **I didn't know it was that serious. What if i have to use the bathrooms?!**
- Are you aware that many/most airlines are now charging extra money for checked luggage? $15 for the first piece, $25 for EACH piece thereafter. It's necessary for them to find some way to pay for the fuel which is driving them out of business... If you can fly with one piece that's 20" long or less, you can stow it in the overhead bin as "carry-on" luggage that you don't have to check, and so don't have to wait for and retrieve after your plane lands -- and maybe not have because somehow it was sent to Kansas. Carry-on luggage CANNOT contain any of the items specified on the TSA website as not allowed in carry-ons.**I read that website yesterday. I'm recovering from it!!**
- Most recently, CD players, CDs and headphones are allowed on board. But don't take a stranger's word for it: check the TSA website (see below).
- How long do you expect to be in Atlanta? If less than a month, don't pack all the geegaws -- blades, rechargeable toothbrush, gel insoles, large selection of CDs, etc. etc. You're not MOVING down there, right? You can pack a normal manual toothbrush and floss, and BUY there what you really can't live without. **I'll be there about a week or so**
Your deodorant, toothpaste, liquids, gels, creams, aerosols CANNOT be in a container larger than specified on the TSA website. (Unless specifically not allowed, or not allowed by implication, in the language on the TSA website, you can pack your rechargable toothbrush in your carry-on. But don't take a stranger's word for anything; study the website.)
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel
FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. Do not get creative.**Got it, yesterday i went shopping and bought the 3 oz sizes and quart bag**

watch, rings, all jewelry, coins, etc. -- way before you get to the line for the TSA security inspection -- preferably before you leave home where no one will be watching you -- have all those things already put in a small clear plastic ziplock bag, which you're carrying in a pocket that can't be pickpocketed. **Oh GOD!!**

TSA inspection:
- The TSA security inspections are extremely serious matters. It makes no difference what a person might think of them politically -- what does matter is that if you joke out loud, are not prepared with your items ready as required on the website, do not remove your jacket(s)/coat and shoes, and do not have your required ID and boarding pass and ticket in your hand, you will not have the personnel "on your side". So just rehearse in your mind the procedure I describe here, and you'll be fine.
- Before getting in line, discard into a trash can any drinks you are carrying, SEALED OR UNSEALED water bottle, soda can, coffee cup, and any uneaten food.
- While you're slowly walking through the roped-off area, on the line to the TSA inspection site, there are posted signs reminding you every 15 feet what you need to do.
- Watch the people before you who are already in the inspection and see what it's like; it's harmless.
- When you get to the place of the actual TSA inspection of you and your belongings, put the bag of metal items, and the bag with your liquids, and your shoes, and your jacket/coat, and ALL carried items (piece of carry-on luggage and handbag or similar, book, magazine) into the bins provided, or right onto the conveyor belt if they're too large for the bins; fold your jacket/coat small. Everything is destined to slide through the X-ray machine.
- HOLD all items from moving ahead of you (so that the passenger ahead of you in line can't walk away with your possessions). **That does it, I'll take AMTRAK!!**
- WAIT calmly. **Like dad??!!**
- When the TSA officer tells you to send your items through, let go of them and the belt will carry them through.
- You can smile politely to any TSA officer; do not chat, do not start a conversation. When the officer and you are done, you can smile and say "Thank you"; he or she will appreciate your random act of kindness to him or her.
- The officer will look at your ID and other paperwork. If all is okay, he/she will hand it all to you.
- He/she will wave for you to walk through the metal detector. If you have arterial stents, schrapnel or other metal objects inside your body, carry on you, easily retrieved, your documentation; by the way, cardiac stents and dental metal don't show up on metal detectors; I know -- I have them.
- When you've walked through the metal detector, and no alarms have sounded, the TSA officer on that side of the detector will be looking at the clothes you're wearing to make a determination if you are hiding anything inside layers. He/she will wave you on and usually say "OK".
- Grab your shoes; put them on. Gather all your possessions, a little distance from the metal detector where the conveyor belt took them. Grab your stuff, move on, stop at a chair or table nearby to rearrange yourself. All done!
- There is no TSA inspection after your flight. The next time you do this procedure, you will be queueing up to fly again.

More questions? C'mon back!! Happy planning!

**I made comments next to your responses above. Thanks for the info I am impressed by the density of your info. nfo. Another question--I take Diabetic, blood pressure and mood medication, all tablets. How should i store them? I saw something where you should ask for a visual inspection if you don't want them to be ex- rayed**

**Also, I will bring only one piece of checked luggage(a suitcase) and one carry on item. According to the carrier's schedule of luggage and fees (airtran) i would not have to pay extra. My brother says airtran has newer planes and better svce than Delta which i was originally going to call. I haven't made reservations yet. Maybe i can call the carrier or airport to inuire about the toothbrush?**

After arriving in Atlanta, it's on to their MARTA train for a 50 minute ride to the suburbs. That I'm looking forward to!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Hi again rlrl. Sorry for my delay in getting back to you -- I'm in the beautiful, cool forests of Washington state, where life is much later than it is in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Thanks for the info I am impressed by the density of your info.
You're very welcome. I got the sense that you felt almost as though you were having to enter a world of mystery, and I do a lot of flying so I figured I have some knowledge I could share with you. "Density" -- I love the elegance of your choice of word

Quote:
I take Diabetic, blood pressure and mood medication, all tablets. How should i store them? I saw something where you should ask for a visual inspection if you don't want them to be ex- rayed
TSA requires that all meds be in THEIR RX CONTAINER. So pills stay in the bottle the drugstore gave you, inhalers stay in their Rx containers, insulin and equipment stay in their official packaged (sorry, I don't know specifically what that would be, but you do). Here's the TSA's point: they want to be able to READ an "official" Rx document (like the label on the Rx container) telling them that x substance is, in fact, a prescribed medication, with the med name, the doctor's name, your name, etc etc as we always see on Rx labels. With insulin, if you also have needles, take them in their "official" container. I traveled to several locations on one trip about a year ago; I schlepped six (6!!) oral meds plus three different types of asthma breathers. The oral meds were all "pills" of some sort, and included antibiotics for whoknowswhat in Peruvian food, plus something to quickly calm the intestines just in case, plus two kinds of blood pressure meds, Lipitor... I carried everything I would need for 6 weeks in their Rx containers, inside a pretty large canvas handbag which never left my body except at the metal detectors and in hotel rooms. TSA never asked to see them. They went thru the Xray machines some 20 times in different countries and different states for 6 weeks, and I'm still alive from taking those meds. You decide... Yes, you CAN request TSA hand and visual inspection of ANYTHING. But two swipes through the machine will have no effect on meds.
I absolutely urge you to NOT pack in checked luggage any meds you actually want to take. It is well documented that airline and baggage-handling personnel open, rifle through and steal from checked luggage. Airlines are also constantly losing checked luggage. I urge you to keep all meds with your body at all times -- that means in a carry-on "suitcase" or in another bag that's small enough to stash under your airline seat (woman's large handbag size). Once you lose your meds, you will have a horrible time trying to replace them, so don't lose them.

Quote:
- Do not detach your hand from your suitcase at any time, under any circumstances. Period. Until you must do so at the TSA checkpoint. Then attach yourself again to your carry-on and do not detach. Protect yourself well. **I didn't know it was that serious. What if i have to use the bathrooms?!**
I guess you've never seen "60 Minutes"... There are a lot of poor people, and a lot of unskilled people, in this country. And nowadays more desperate people than usual.... They usually don't have any other way to make a living....
I don't know if you're a man or a woman, but I'm a woman and what I do in airports is I always use the airport bathroom about 10 minutes before I have to be at the gate, so that I don't have to use those tiny plane bathrooms. I go into the HANDICAPPED stall, and wheel my carryon suitcase in with me. There won't be a dozen people waiting to use the stall while you're in there; and they don't know you're not handicapped; if other people's opinions are a basis for your choices, you can even limp appropriately when you exit the stall The point is, DO NOT detach your carryon(s) from your body. So do not choose a nice place to sit near the gate, put your bag there, then walk to the candy machine. You will be sans suitcase when you get back to the seat. If that happens, you will not get it back because the thieves work in groups and outnumber the security guards.

Quote:
the TSA website **I read that website yesterday. I'm recovering from it!!**
Hahahahaha!!! I love your comment!! Yes, it's back to school and memorization. But -- it works.

Quote:
watch, rings, all jewelry, coins, etc. -- way before you get to the line for the TSA security inspection -- preferably before you leave home where no one will be watching you -- have all those things already put in a small clear plastic ziplock bag, which you're carrying in a pocket that can't be pickpocketed. **Oh GOD!!**

TSA inspection:
- HOLD all items from moving ahead of you (so that the passenger ahead of you in line can't walk away with your possessions). **That does it, I'll take AMTRAK!!**
HEY!! YOU'RE A NEW YORKER!! YOU HAVE STREET SMARTS RUNNING IN Y0UR BLOOD!! (or is that just those of us who grew up there....??) Your possessions will disappear equally quickly at Port Authority, at Grand Central, ON Amtrak trains, ON busses, ON the LIRR, ON the subway, everywhere.
Preparation through the perspective of wisdom is joy, rlrl, because you know with every choice that you are giving yourself the experience you want... Get it?

Quote:
**I'll be there about a week or so****I will take only one piece of checked luggage(a suitcase) and one carry on item. ... Maybe i can call the carrier or airport to inquire about the toothbrush?**
I can't believe you are taking TWO SUITCASES for one week!!! What are your plans? -- that you will dine with foreign diplomats every luncheon and party every night with entertainment stars?? You don't need more than a couple of fundamental toiletries and a couple of changes of underwear and outerwear!!! Will your teeth die without the toothbrush for a week?
Whew. That felt good. You are wasting your time, energy and possessions taking a bunch of stuff you DO NOT NEED TO TAKE.
Go to the Travel forum here on C-D. Start a thread asking if others would take two pieces of luggage anywhere, including Europe and Asia, for ONE WEEK. Watch experienced travelers yell about how nobody needs their whole life with them for a week, and how they would never check in anything they don't care if they lose.
You don't travel much, do you? The one constant complaint of EVERYONE who doesn't travel much is: "I took far more stuff than I could ever have used." Be practical. Remember that checked luggage always stands a good chance of being gone forever.

A point I forgot yesterday: Keep your carryon luggage locked. Locked. Locked.

Airports can't tell you anything about anything except their address, their own physical structures and facilities. You don't need the toothbrush for a week, for heaven's sake. Be practical!

If you were a teen in 1978, then you're in your 40s now, so you are not a child who doesn't have any life experience or adult common sense or wisdom. Be practical, protect your possessions by keeping all of them with your body at all times, don't think in frivolous and unnecessary ideas, protect your possessions, be practical. Then you'll have a safe and enjoyable trip. I wish you wisdom, and safety.

Last edited by allforcats; 06-28-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 05:57 PM

Default Oh God,,,

Hi again rlrl. Sorry for my delay in getting back to you -- I'm in the beautiful, cool forests of Washington state, where life is much later than it is in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl
Thanks for the info I am impressed by the density of your info.

You're very welcome. I got the sense that you felt almost as though you were having to enter a world of mystery, and I do a lot of flying so I figured I have some knowledge I could share with you. "Density" -- I love the elegance of your choice of word

Quote:
I take Diabetic, blood pressure and mood medication, all tablets. How should i store them? I saw something where you should ask for a visual inspection if you don't want them to be ex- rayed
TSA requires that all meds be in THEIR RX CONTAINER. So pills stay in the bottle the drugstore gave you, inhalers stay in their Rx containers, insulin and equipment stay in their official packaged (sorry, I don't know specifically what that would be, but you do). Here's the TSA's point: they want to be able to READ an "official" Rx document (like the label on the Rx container) telling them that x substance is, in fact, a prescribed medication, with the med name, the doctor's name, your name, etc etc as we always see on Rx labels. With insulin, if you also have needles, take them in their "official" container. I traveled to several locations on one trip about a year ago; I schlepped six (6!!) oral meds plus three different types of asthma breathers. The oral meds were all "pills" of some sort, and included antibiotics for whoknowswhat in Peruvian food, plus something to quickly calm the intestines just in case, plus two kinds of blood pressure meds, Lipitor... I carried everything I would need for 6 weeks in their Rx containers, inside a pretty large canvas handbag which never left my body except at the metal detectors and in hotel rooms. TSA never asked to see them. They went thru the Xray machines some 20 times in different countries and different states for 6 weeks, and I'm still alive from taking those meds. You decide... Yes, you CAN request TSA hand and visual inspection of ANYTHING. But two swipes through the machine will have no effect on meds. **God, I can barely manage without having asthma!!**
I absolutely urge you to NOT pack in checked luggage any meds you actually want to take. It is well documented that airline and baggage-handling personnel open, rifle through and steal from checked luggage. Airlines are also constantly losing checked luggage. I urge you to keep all meds with your body at all times -- that means in a carry-on "suitcase" or in another bag that's small enough to stash under your airline seat (woman's large handbag size). Once you lose your meds, you will have a horrible time trying to replace them, so don't lose them.

Quote:
I guess you've never seen "60 Minutes"... There are a lot of poor people, and a lot of unskilled people, in this country. And nowadays more desperate people than usual.... They usually don't have any other way to make a living....
I don't know if you're a man or a woman, but I'm a woman and what I do in airports is I always use the airport bathroom about 10 minutes before I have to be at the gate, so that I don't have to use those tiny plane bathrooms. I go into the HANDICAPPED stall, and wheel my carryon suitcase in with me. There won't be a dozen people waiting to use the stall while you're in there; and they don't know you're not handicapped; if other people's opinions are a basis for your choices, you can even limp appropriately when you exit the stall The point is, DO NOT detach your carryon(s) from your body. So do not choose a nice place to sit near the gate, put your bag there, then walk to the candy machine. You will be sans suitcase when you get back to the seat. If that happens, you will not get it back because the thieves work in groups and outnumber the security guards. **I'm a man**

Quote:
the TSA website **I read that website yesterday. I'm recovering from it!!**
Hahahahaha!!! I love your comment!! Yes, it's back to school and memorization. But -- it works.

Quote:

TSA inspection:
HEY!! YOU'RE A NEW YORKER!! YOU HAVE STREET SMARTS RUNNING IN Y0UR BLOOD!! (or is that just those of us who grew up there....??) Your possessions will disappear equally quickly at Port Authority, at Grand Central, ON Amtrak trains, ON busses, ON the LIRR, ON the subway, everywhere.
Preparation through the perspective of wisdom is joy, rlrl, because you know with every choice that you are giving yourself the experience you want... Get it?

Quote:
**I'll be there about a week or so****I will take only one piece of checked luggage(a suitcase) and one carry on item. ... Maybe i can call the carrier or airport to inquire about the toothbrush?**
I can't believe you are taking TWO SUITCASES for one week!!! What are your plans? -- that you will dine with foreign diplomats every luncheon and party every night with entertainment stars?? You don't need more than a couple of fundamental toiletries and a couple of changes of underwear and outerwear!!! Will your teeth die without the toothbrush for a week?
Whew. That felt good. You are wasting your time, energy and possessions taking a bunch of stuff you DO NOT NEED TO TAKE.
Go to the Travel forum here on C-D. Start a thread asking if others would take two pieces of luggage anywhere, including Europe and Asia, for ONE WEEK. Watch experienced travelers yell about how nobody needs their whole life with them for a week, and how they would never check in anything they don't care if they lose.
You don't travel much, do you? The one constant complaint of EVERYONE who doesn't travel much is: "I took far more stuff than I could ever have used." Be practical. Remember that checked luggage always stands a good chance of being gone forever. **I never travel by plane, only by car. Since the PAN AM flight 103 fiasco in 1988, I have been afraid to fly, i often have airplane dreams, 9/11 certainly didn't help, and my DVD collection is full of airline disaster movies (United 93, the whole Airport series, etc) except that last Airport 1979 was so bad it was fun to watch!!

A point I forgot yesterday: Keep your carryon luggage locked. Locked. Locked. **The old outdated big suitcase i have has a key lock but I don't know where the key is because my folks gave it to me 11 years ago when they moved and i couldn't find the key then. I never lock it because there's no key(maybe there is but i have to look) and i always drive to Atlanta so there's no need for it. All i will have in there is clothes--do I really have to spend more $$ on a new suitcase just for the key? or can i get one of those auxilliary luggage locking devices? I want to take another bag for carry on for my cellphone and meds. The current suitcase has a flap that snaps shut over the lock and i don't think anyone would know the difference. Besides the suitcase is so outdated looking who on earth would be interested in what's inside? I always considered myself poor with nothing to offer anyone, let alone anything for someone else to steal!!**

Airports can't tell you anything about anything except their address, their own physical structures and facilities. You don't need the toothbrush for a week, for heaven's sake. Be practical! **I know, what a neurotic! Could you imagine me calling airport security asking them "can i take my electric toothbrush with me on the plane?"!!**

If you were a teen in 1978, then you're in your 40s now, so you are not a child who doesn't have any life experience or adult common sense or wisdom.**In a sense maybe i don't, I've never been married but I've lived on my own for 17 years!!!**. Be practical, protect your possessions by keeping all of them with your body at all times, don't think in frivolous and unnecessary ideas**good point, I do often engage in frivoulous unnecessary thinking**, protect your possessions, be practical. Then you'll have a safe and enjoyable trip. I wish you wisdom, and safety.

**OK to summarize--if I am just taking clothes in the checked (checked meaning given for storage in the luggage carrier and claimed at arrival??) suitcase, how urgent is the lock? the contents will be nothing but briefs, shirts from Target, Marshalls and Conway, socks, jeans. It's not like the clothes are from Nordstroms or Saks. I'm poor!!**

I have one of those $10 bags(I'm poor!!) with a clip on shoulder strap--perfect for meds, cellphone, walkman that i want to carry on. but no more than these 2. I won't be there for long but i always like a hand bag. I'm like that when i travel by car. you'd be astonished if you saw how much i take by car just for a week!!**

Oh God I didn't know i had to take the meds in their original containers. What if i didn't do that what would happen? I will certainly do that but what's the concern?

I only am a borderline Diabetic or have "pre-Diabetes". So i don't have to take insulin or anything, just a half tablet twice a day. I may have my doctor prescribe me Xanax for the plane only.

hope you come back soon!!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Allforcats...

it says to place your keys, coins in your carry on before you put it though the x ray. when you get on the plane can you take your keys out and put them in your pocket and can you keep your wallet in your pocket? i also have a huge yellow band that is attached to my keys that i use so i can easily pull the keys out of my pocket since they're heavy. do you think i should not bring this?

can you make a cellphone call from the plane in the early stages of boarding? in 1978 as you know such a question did not exist

now for the grossout question--i have a nervous stomach but rarely if ever actually get sick. on my last flight in '78 an older lady got sick on the plane as we were maybe about 30 minutes from landing

this is something i dread. did this poor lady get sick due to turbulence (i remember we had a little bit)? is this common?

Old 06-28-2008, 07:03 PM

Hello, man.

Since you have traveled only by car, you have had a several-thousand-percent greater chance of death and dismemberment than if you had traveled by plane. You can look up the national and international comparative statistics for the past 50 years.

Yes, "checked luggage" means given for - not storage - transport in the airplane - in the luggage - not carrier - cargo compartment on the underside of the airplane - and claimed at arrival?? -- yes. When you check in at your airline's counter when you first enter the airport, you will give the ticket counter employee your suitcase.

Step outside yourself. Look at situations in the way someone else can see them. Thieves don't know what's in your suitcase; it's their job to assume you are carrying something they can pawn or sell. Thieves know you CAN'T tell a book by its cover so the appearance of a suitcase means nothing to them. Their JOB is to crack open quickly and quietly whatever is easy to open. That's how homes and cars are robbed every day, when people don't lock the doors, make window access easy, and leave the keys in the car.

Locked checked luggage stands a pretty good possibility of surviving, in a closed position, being thrown -- literally, thrown -- around the airport, the cargo hold of the plane, and the baggage carousel at your arrival airport. Unlocked does not.

Locked checked luggage stands a fairly good possibility of not being broken into and pilfered by airport baggage handlers. Unlocked does not.

I don't know how to be clearer than that. I recommend that you use your imagination, and make your decisions according to how you want your life to unfold.

The bag you will carry on board the plane with you containing cellphone, meds, CD player, CDs and earphones is so small it can sit on the floor between your foot and the wall of the plane if you're in a window seat. Therefore, you have all that overhead compartment space in which to put a lightweight fabric (canvas) 20" suitcase you can purchase in any local store that has more than one department, for $15 to $50 depending on your tastes. Such an item will come with locks and keys and be pretty easy to lift up and put into the overhead compartment. I'm only 5'2" and if I can do it, you can do it. That's unchecked, near your body so you actually know where it is at all times and what condition it's in.

Having meds in the Rx containers you got from the drugstore, with the Rx label glued on it with all the info about you, the doctor, and the med itself, plus date, drugstore phone number, etc. -- equals to governmental employees that you are not transporting cocaine, meth, some exotic South American hallucinogen, anthrax, etc. Airport (and elsewhere) security procedures are looking for all sorts of criminal and terrorist activities, including banned substances.

When going through security, you cannot "chat" yourself out of problems; no one is going to believe your "stories", will be angry at you for taking their time, and will confiscate and discard any item of any kind that they cannot identify as safe aboard an airplane. So just keep your meds the way you got them from the drugstore. As I mentioned in my last post, I went through almost two dozen security checks in a few countries and some states on one trip, and I was never once questioned about meds. But I have an angelic face that everyone trusts..... Just kidding!

Be practical. Make your life easier to enjoy. Make choices that will give you peace of mind. The more attention and intention you give to what makes you feel happy, the more happiness you will attract to you. I wish you wisdom, and safety. Last word: do not check luggage.

Last edited by allforcats; 06-28-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
it says to place your keys, coins in your carry on before you put it though the x ray.
It says "carry-on" because that's the way smart people travel.... (as opposed to checked, of course)

when you get on the plane can you take your keys out and put them in your pocket and can you keep your wallet in your pocket?
Yes and yes.

i also have a huge yellow band that is attached to my keys that i use so i can easily pull the keys out of my pocket since they're heavy. do you think i should not bring this?
I don't know: is it metal? If it's metal, put it in the plastic bag of metals, or in your carry-on. If it's not metal, remove the keys, put them in the plastic bag of metals or in your carry-on, and continue to wear the yellow band. ANYTHING metal might trigger the metal detector, even a little clip at the end of the yellow band.

can you make a cellphone call from the plane in the early stages of boarding? in 1978 as you know such a question did not exist
During boarding, yes.
Right after landing when the wheels touch the ground, yes.
Before takeoff when the announcements start "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen; welcome to Angelic Airlines", no.
After takeoff, while you're in the air -- that varies. Listen to the announcements; they will tell you if you can.

now for the grossout question--i have a nervous stomach but rarely if ever actually get sick. on my last flight in '78 an older lady got sick on the plane as we were maybe about 30 minutes from landing. this is something i dread. did this poor lady get sick due to turbulence (i remember we had a little bit)? is this common?
A really good question! I have flown a million planes in many countries, and have never once witnessed anyone, or heard anyone, get sick to their stomach.
I have flown in ferocious turbulence that felt like earthquakes, and never experienced anyone getting sick.
I believe that occurence was just that particular person.
I have a "nervous" stomach too, in that I will never go on a roller coaster or most of the kid rides at places like Disneyland -- my stomach wouldn't take it.
Planes, however, are easy. Planes fly more smoothly now than they did 30, even 20 years ago. This is not anything that's even worth thinking about, but it was a great and important question to ask.
You had an interesting experience in '78, didn't you? You, planes, and life have changed a great deal. You'll have fun -- trust me. Flying is like magic, don't you think?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:32 PM

Default Allforcats...

thanks for the info. I'm going to talk to mom tomorrow and tell her the concerns you told me about unlocked luggage. If we determine i need new luggage, do they still sell traditional flat suitcases instead of those bloated things on wheels? I suspect they're not as roomy as flat suitcases, but what do i know, I'm not exactly the quintessential traveller

I flew in 1970(Puerto Rico), 1973(Fla), '76(west coast) and '78(Spain). Except for the sick lady in '78, the flights were all uneventful. but of course, when you're between 8 and 16, you don't think about the fact that your body is traveling 500 mph and that if something hits the plane your body is still going 500 mph during decompression...all that good stuff

you say don't check luggage, i don't think that flat suitcase will fit in the carry on compt. the way i always saw it people always checked those flat suitcases. i'm confused. the flat suitcase is 30 inches in width and 21 inches from top to bottom. the carry on bag is 16 inches in width and 12 inches from top to bottom. you seem to imply i can take the flat suitcase as a carry on?

with respect to the death statistics, my logic has always been that true, your chances are greater that a car accident/fatality will happen than in a plane, but my logic is that given a car crash and a plane crash on the same day, some walk away from a car crash but who walks away from a plane crash?

the thing attached to the keys is a big canvas loop with a hook on the end, those things they sell at convenience stores

Old 06-28-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info. I'm going to talk to mom tomorrow and tell her the concerns you told me about unlocked luggage. If we determine i need new luggage -- all you need is one suitcase --
, do they still sell traditional flat suitcases instead of those bloated things on wheels? I suspect they're not as roomy as flat suitcases, but what do i know, I'm not exactly the quintessential traveller
I'm not sure what you mean by "bloated" (or "flat" either) but perhaps you are referring to an outside compartment on the suitcase, when it's got a lot of stuff in it. That would make it look rounded, right? If you put nothing in there, it stays flat....

A suitcase on wheels is FABULOUSLY convenient, and I have yet to see a businessman or a tourist at an airport these days carrying a suitcase by a handle. Everyone uses a suitcase on wheels because it's just so easy to manipulate and take around.

Here are American Airlines' directions for carry-on suitcase size; all airlines throughout the world use exactly the same measurements:
"each dimension no larger than 22 in/56cm long, 18 in/45cm wide, and 10 in/25cm in height. Customers may also bring one laptop-sized bag, briefcase or equivalent."
That's from:
Net SAAver & Special Offers - Special Offer Details (that page name does NOT accurately describe the page information) which is the page you get when you click on: "Please refer to recent updates to carry-on baggage restrictions for the most current information" at this American Airlines page:
Carry-on Baggage Allowance

Stores like JC Penney, Macy's, RiteAid, probably Walgren's, and many many others sell suitcases. The 20" long suitcases and some of the 22" long suitcases will have a tag on it saying it complies with airline carry-on requirements.

Measuring luggage is like measuring a car, or a table: the longest measurement is the length (long), the next longest is the width (wide), and the smallest is the depth (deep) or height (high).

you say don't check luggage, i don't think that flat suitcase will fit in the carry on compt. -- You're right.
the way i always saw it people always checked those flat suitcases.-- Yes, you're right. They did, before airlines started smashing, pilfering, and losing luggage so often.
People who are going to Europe for a month often check luggage.
Quick travelers like you hardly ever do, because they NEED their clothes when they get to their destination, so they use carry-on to make sure they do have their clothes.
Also, it can take up to an hour at Atlanta to actually put your hands on your checked suitcase; all kinds of delays happen.

i'm confused. the flat suitcase is 30 inches in width -- no, in LENGTH -- and 21 inches from top to bottom -- no, in width.
Anyway you're right, it's too large to carry on with you. And for one week it's far too much space for the one pair of sneakers, a toothbrush, and the clothes you mentioned. A 20" or 22" suitcase is plenty.

the carry on bag is 16 inches in width -- no, length and 12 inches from top to bottom --no, width. you seem to imply i can take the flat suitcase as a carry on? No. Please see above in this post.

with respect to the death statistics, my logic has always been that true, your chances are greater that a car accident/fatality will happen than in a plane, but my logic is that given a car crash and a plane crash on the same day, some walk away from a car crash but who walks away from a plane crash? Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of passengers, who walk away from infinitely -- infinitely -- fewer crashes per year. Average commercial airline deaths per year in the U.S.? Maybe 10. Average passenger car deaths per year in the US.? I think the last figure I heard was over 10,000. I do understand what you're saying. I do not believe in a hostile Universe; I believe I live in a friendly Universe, so I expect pleasing experiences.

the thing attached to the keys is a big canvas loop with a hook on the end, those things they sell at convenience stores
Do you mean bungee cord? Sounds as though the metal hook is probably large enough to set off the metal detector.
Spain...... how exciting! Do you want to hear something odd? You and I went to Puerto Rico in the same year!

Last edited by allforcats; 06-28-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City