Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:24 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,486 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize there was only one express track, but at least expanding the hours of express service would be a huge help and makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the suggestion about contacting Lee Sanders. That sounds like a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, you know, the problem with a non-rush hour express along the Concourse is that it's a three-track line. But that shouldn't be the end of the world; the service pattern could be arranged similarly to the #7 (also a three-track line). Express trains to Manhattan until, say, noon. And coming up to The Bronx from 3 to 9PM. Next month, there will be an expanded service plan going into effect--the B line will be running several hours past its current 9PM. There's no reason why its hours of service couldn't be expanded in The Bronx, allowing for an express run on the D line.

MTA does periodic studies of line usage, and when there's enough of an increase, service can be adjusted. I, personally, would suggest making the idea of a non-rush hour express on the Concourse line known to MTA chairman Lee Sanders. He's the first-ever head of MTA who actually has a background in urban transportation (and he's a resident of NYC), and comments to him from the riding public don't get deposited in the recycle bin.
It would also be better to extend the B to Bedford Park Blvd whenever it is running. Waiting for the D in the Bronx can be up to 20 minutes outside the rush hours.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
It would also be better to extend the B to Bedford Park Blvd whenever it is running. Waiting for the D in the Bronx can be up to 20 minutes outside the rush hours.
Unless the D is restructured for expanded express service, that's not likely. It would mean two locals on the same track.

I can tell you for a fact that the D train runs on a 10-minute headway between rush hours. So if you wind up waiting 20 minutes, it means there were delays going northbound from the terminal in Coney Island. (These usually involve 34 and 59 Streets--both major transfer stations).

Incidentally, the reason for three tracks instead of four on the Concourse line was cost-cutting. That line opened for service in 1933 as part of the IND system--which was municipally owned from the start. The city figured it would be cheaper to build a three-track line than one with four tracks. That happens to be true...but now we're locked in to a decision made more than 70 years ago. The tunnel isn't wide enough to accommodate an additional track.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
supermario, i moved your post to a new thread: south bronx continued!

we can continue our discussion there.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-05-2008, 01:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Unless the D is restructured for expanded express service, that's not likely. It would mean two locals on the same track.

I can tell you for a fact that the D train runs on a 10-minute headway between rush hours. So if you wind up waiting 20 minutes, it means there were delays going northbound from the terminal in Coney Island. (These usually involve 34 and 59 Streets--both major transfer stations).

Incidentally, the reason for three tracks instead of four on the Concourse line was cost-cutting. That line opened for service in 1933 as part of the IND system--which was municipally owned from the start. The city figured it would be cheaper to build a three-track line than one with four tracks. That happens to be true...but now we're locked in to a decision made more than 70 years ago. The tunnel isn't wide enough to accommodate an additional track.
Fred you make some great posts, and its great having someone with your insight on the MTA on this forum. Do you have any idea whether they have any plans with the B/D line? The B is such a horrid line. Its so unreliable, and in my opinion it holds the D (and the BX for the matter) back. Is it possible they could scratch the B altogether and just have a D local and a D express. Would the trains be able to run express on the local tracks? Could they just do express during most of the day to Manhattan/Brooklyn and Express in the night to Bronx? Is any of this feasable? I mean for a lot of the day and the night (excluding the classic rush hours) the express track isn't even used in the Bronx. How could this be the best way to make use of these lines?

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-05-2008 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Fred, didnt the Second System have plans for extending the D train to the eastern bronx along gun hill road to co-op city?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-06-2008, 11:12 AM

I hadn't noticed Fred's previous post. Already sort of answered my question. Thanks for the info!!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 PM

I'm confused now. Are there three tracks total on the B/D line, or two for the B and three for the D?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
I'm confused now. Are there three tracks total on the B/D line, or two for the B and three for the D?
I think you might be thinking of the express stations like Fordham and Tremont, and that might be confusing you.

For the most part on the B/D line the B/D run on the same tracks. There are three tracks. One uptown, One downtown, one express track.

Ideally you want 4 tracks, so you can have individual uptown and downtown express tracks.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-07-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 AM

Thanks for clarifying NooYowkur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City