U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,150,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
Yo explain something to me...the difference between Hispanic people,Latinos,and spanish....im so confused
Spanish = people from Spain, and also people of Spanish origin. It is also an oldschool term that many people from this area use to describe Spanish-speaking Latin Americans. It's not very politically correct when used to in the latter way, but it is what it is. Many people will call Puerto Rican food "Spanish food" or their girls "Spanish girls." Even some Nuyorican people will say this, so I don't think most people are offended by this (kind of incorrect) use.

Hispanic = people who are from - or whose families are from - the Spanish-speaking world. Though this is a broad term, it excludes Brazilians, Cape Verdeans, and Portuguese people.

Latino = people who are from - or whose families are from - the Latin world, including all of Spanish and Portuguese speaking South America and Latin Europe. However, most people in the United States do not consider people of Italian origin to be "Latino" even though Italy is a Latin European country with a Latin culture. Besides that, "Latino" is the most broad term out of the three and encompasses a lot of people.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
and why u gotta point out manhattan "below 96". If its manhattan than its manhattan. Thats like a nicer way of saying, well where all the white people live.
And lots of those white people are Hispanic girls from Puerto Rico, Spain, Argentina, Colombia, etc. who tend to have more money to spend on fitness, fashion, etc. than those from above 96th street. Though there are lots of cute morenitas out there, I prefer white/whiter Hispanic girls (who live in greater concentrations in nicer parts of Manhattan and Queens). Just my personal opinion, so no one need take offense to this.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:53 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,092,482 times
How do they automatically have more "money". U dont even know that their from manhattan. Manhattan is a central hub, many of those people come from differant boroughs.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:16 PM

536 posts, read 2,063,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Spanish = people from Spain, and also people of Spanish origin. It is also an oldschool term that many people from this area use to describe Spanish-speaking Latin Americans. It's not very politically correct when used to in the latter way, but it is what it is. Many people will call Puerto Rican food "Spanish food" or their girls "Spanish girls." Even some Nuyorican people will say this, so I don't think most people are offended by this (kind of incorrect) use.
It may not be politically correct but it's generally socially acceptable in NYC, unless you happen to say it in front of a mad uppity dude or something I dunno. Anyway, because "spanish" pretty much means "hispanic" in this city, my girlfriend defines herself as "half Puerto Rican and half spaniard."

Old 07-04-2008, 02:07 PM

I agree that it's socially acceptable here. Just as many Americans will refer to themselves as "Italian" and many others will refer to themselves as "Greek" - I personally have no problem with people referring to themselves as "Spanish."

Old 07-04-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
How do they automatically have more "money". U dont even know that their from manhattan. Manhattan is a central hub, many of those people come from differant boroughs.
Both household and per capita income are greater in Manhattan below 96th Street. Of course I can't always tell who is well-off and who is not by looking, but I think that a higher percentage of girls really dress up and care about fashion/fitness/health than girls in poorer neighborhoods in upper Manhattan and in the Bronx. Does this mean that there aren't hot girls who are into these things up in the Bronx? Of course not! Attractive people are everywhere. However, it is my opinion that the highest concentration of hottest people in New York is in the wealthier areas (generally, below 96th Street) of Manhattan. Sure, not all of the people you see in Manhattan live there, but the point is that is where I SEE THEM. If these girls don't bother to put on make up and nice clothes at home on the Grand Concourse or Fordham Road, that's really not my concern. My concern is that I SEE THEM hanging out / shopping in Manhattan, so that plays into my answer.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:18 PM

536 posts, read 2,063,571 times
Queens, for the variety. It's like a buffet for your eyes. Especially Queens Center Mall... holy crap.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:17 PM

390 posts, read 1,031,173 times
Are there any classy non-ghetto hispanic women and where do they hang out at? Im cool with the jordan rockin hoop earing ones too, but most of them come with too much baggage if u know what I mean.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 PM

There are plenty of classy Latin ladies in this city. I know some who live near me in Cobble Hill / Brooklyn Heights and also some who live in Manhattan. Though you will find classy Latin ladies all over the city, there are probably higher proportions of them in Manhattan and Queens. Also, you don't have to go to "Hispanic" neighborhoods to meet them; I meet Hispanic people all the time in Cobble Hill, the Village, Midtown, etc. In the outer boroughs, I would suggest that you go to more upscale hangouts in non-ghetto neighborhoods (Astoria, Bay Ridge, Forest Hills) to find what you want.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:19 PM

50,695 posts, read 72,770,716 times
It seems like Queens would be the best bet considering that it is the most "diverse" county in the United States, racially/ethnically. I would think they would have any type of woman you want there.

What about the good looking Black women of various ethnicitie or some Italian women too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City