U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2008, 05:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,618,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dangerous:

Forrest Houses
Mckinley Houses
Quote:
Oh I could go on.....

Adams Houses
St Marys Park
The school where I taught this past year was located fairly equidistant from these four projects. Because we're a high school, we don't draw exclusively from the neighborhood, but we did have a few students who came from the area. And we had a few, mostly gang-related, incidents during the year.

However, the two middle schools in our building (there are four small schools sited in one building) DO draw from the neighborhood -- and both are on NYC's "persistently dangerous" list due to the level of violence, presence of weapons on campus, etc. The entire building was being considered for Impact status (Impact Schools (http://www.drummajorinstitute.org/library/report.php?ID=18 - broken link)), which would put armed NYPD officers in the building -- but I'm not sure whether TPTB decided that was warranted or not.

I'll be in a different district next year and while I'll miss most of my kids, I certainly won't miss the neighborhood OR the overall tone of the building.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 PM

83 posts, read 294,868 times
as far as raising kids, i believe its not about your development or your neighborhood, its about the parents....good parents turn out good kids and bad parents turn out bad kids...no matter what neighborhood

Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 29,926 times
Default I've been living in public housing for over 30 years and I could really tell you what's the deal with NYCHA...

In the Bronx, the only 2 best housing projects are:

1) Pelham Parkway - Quiet & working class neighborhood, near Jacobi Hospital, respectful neighbors and has one of the best management offices in NYCHA.

2) Throggs Neck - Also a quiet and working class neighborhood and has its housing police preicinct.

Warning: All other housing projects in the bronx has illegal drug and gang activities (Bloods/Latin Kings/Crips/etc.), gang fights, trouble makers, drug addicts smoking weed or crack in front of your door, stick-up kids, daily gossip, urine on the elevator and hallway floors, graffitti all over the interior of the buildings, excessively noisy/disrespectful neighbors, management offices that only care about is your rent and does nothing about your complaints, plenty of vacancies to keep you in the Bronx forever.

The worst housing projects (in numeric order) in the Bronx out of all the other bad ones are:

1) Castle Hill
2) Paterson
3) Webster
4) Mott Haven
5) Mitchell
6) Milbrook

Now.... There are more than 2 housing projects that are the best in Manhattan (Excluding Marble Hill) which in numeric order are:

1) Harborview Terrance - Located in midtown Manhattan, is the fanciest, newest and the most quietest housing project NYCHA has ever owned. There is an obstacle to get selected for an apartment in this heavenly housing project. It is managed by Amsterdam Houses, a housing project a few blocks away where everybody that applies for Harborview Terrance will get selected for Amsterdam (a housing project full of gang members).

2) Harlem River - Located in a middle-income Harlem neighborhood, it look like condominiums and it is a very traditional, respectful and quiet housing project similar to Harborview Terrance. Generations pass by and there still be very little vacancies and to be selected to Harlem river, all you need is an application and a dream.

3) Dyckman - Located in in a working-class Inwood neighborhood, it is convinient to transportation, restaurants, nightclubs and stores 24/7. It's quiet all over the housing project (except if you get the bad luck to live next to noisy neighbors that take advantage of the peace and safety around them). In that case, the Dyckman Management Office is very poorly operated to handle tenant's complaints and transfers so if you get selected to live in Dyckman, the peace and safety is guaranteed but not the overall quietness within your apartment. Overall, Dyckman is like a mini Co-op city and you'll feel like a millionaire while renting one of these apartments. But you must believe in one thing to get an apartment in Dyckman. "Good things comes to those that wait (years)".

4) Baruch - Located in the Lower East Side, it's the largest housing project in Manhattan and it's also very quiet at all times. There are always
vacancies in Baruch because some people prefer close transportation over peace and quiet. It's also close to supermarkets and a $50 a year city gym. It's also safe and peaceful.

5) Grant - Located in Central Harlem, has a powerfull tenant patrol that keep the housing project clean, safe and quiet at all times. It's near the 125th street shopping area and it also has a housing police preicinct. It's also near all transportation. It is worth the wait for an apartment in Grant.

Warning: Same warning as the warning about the Bronx housing projects except that NYCHA would love to transfer you as soon as possible to the Bronx, Brooklyn or Staten Island if you need a transfer.

The worst housing projects (in numeric order) in Manhattan out of all the other bad ones are:

1) Polo Grounds
2) Rangel
3) Drew Hamilton
4) Jefferson
5) Johnson
5) Wagner
6) Manhattanville
7) Amsterdam
8) Rutger
9) Marble Hill (Marble Hill is located at the northern tip of Manhattan)

Last edited by HABLODECORAZON; 10-17-2008 at 04:47 AM..

Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM

374 posts, read 566,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUALITY_XOXOXO View Post
i was wondering what are the best and the worst nycha developments in the bronx....i currently live in the pelham parkway section of the bronx but i was recently accepted to nycha so i was wondering if anyone new of the best ones to choose because i have a 5yr old daughter and i want to make a good decision.
claremont
boston secor
gunhill rd
parkside
eachester gardens
bronxchester
sedgwick
throggsneck
university
mckinley
highbridge
ft. independence
Hmmm, all of them are pretty bad. Avoid Boston Secor, Claremont (I live by there, crappy area), University is ****e. Pelham Pky Houses & Marble Hill are not too bad. Avoid anything near Webster Ave. Some places in Staten Island are supposed to be ok.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
One of the worst is Edenwald hands down. Also, add Webster, Morris, Butler, and Morrisania to the list.
Agreed, all Webster Avenue houses are crap.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Oh I could go on.....

Adams Houses
Jackson Houses
St Marys Park
Morrisania Houses
Morrisania Air rights (Vietnam Houses)
Bronxdale Houses
Sack Wern Houses
Millbrook Houses

These are off the top of my head.

LOL I think I named all the south Bronx projects.
Why is Morrisania Air Rights called Vietnam Houses???

Old 10-17-2008, 12:41 PM

5,107 posts, read 11,935,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Why is Morrisania Air Rights called Vietnam Houses???
Im not too sure but it had something to do with it it housing Vietnam veterans. Then they converted it to projects. Many people still call it Vietnam.

Also in no way do I think Castle Hill is the worst projects. For starters, I've been around there and that area is quiet. I would think that the worst project would be in a terrible neighborhood. Castle Hill was nothing compared to Morrisania, where I visited a friend in the Morris 2 Houses.

One of the south Bronx projects is the worst. Pick your poison.

And what the hell are the University Houses? There are two housing developments on University avenue. They are Highbridge Gardens on W 167th and the Sedgwick Houses on W 174th. From the two, Highbridge Gardens is worse.

Last edited by SuperMario; 10-17-2008 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 AM

185 posts, read 475,551 times
Quote:
Im not too sure but it had something to do with it it housing Vietnam veterans. Then they converted it to projects. Many people still call it Vietnam.

Also in no way do I think Castle Hill is the worst projects. For starters, I've been around there and that area is quiet. I would think that the worst project would be in a terrible neighborhood. Castle Hill was nothing compared to Morrisania, where I visited a friend in the Morris 2 Houses.

One of the south Bronx projects is the worst. Pick your poison.

And what the hell are the University Houses? There are two housing developments on University avenue. They are Highbridge Gardens on W 167th and the Sedgwick Houses on W 174th. From the two, Highbridge Gardens is worse.
Maybe by "University" he meant :

Development Name:
University Avenue Rehab

Main Address:
1865 University Avenue, Bronx, NY 10453

??? Because there isn't really a "University Houses"

Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 AM

161 posts, read 306,455 times
Hi, how long did it take for you to get called. I am originally from NY and moved to NC. I want to get out of here. I hate living in NC. I lived in co-op city for several years but born/raised in NY. I sent the application in recently and I am giving it several weeks for them to review it then I will follow up. My parents use to live in city housing for many years.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 PM

5,107 posts, read 11,935,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiArnez6 View Post
Maybe by "University" he meant :

Development Name:
University Avenue Rehab

Main Address:
1865 University Avenue, Bronx, NY 10453

??? Because there isn't really a "University Houses"
I pass those every day!

They are called University Avenue Consolidated. They are just rehabilitated buildings in between W Tremont and W Burnside avenue. They aren't projects. But I have heard that you had a 1 in 14 chance of being a crime victim in those rehabs, making it the most dangerous area in the Bronx. But I read this on another forum.

But 75% of the buildings on University from W 174th to W Burnside are rehabbed. I don't know if they are all part of the consolidation however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City