Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 AM

163 posts, read 484,578 times

Advertisements

They recently accepted me in the University avenue consolidated buildings but I'm on their waiting list. I'm interested in knowing about the University buildings...how are they?

I'm in desperate need for an apt and I was wondering if anyone knew how long is the waiting list for the University buildings?

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-19-2010 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: same poster, same topic, same thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
They recently accepted me in the University avenue consolidated buildings but I'm on their waiting list. I'm interested in knowing about the University buildings...how are they?

I'm in desperate need for an apt and I was wondering if anyone knew how long is the waiting list for the University buildings?
My honest opinion is that they arent too good. I read somewhere once that University rehabs where the highest crime sectors in the city. But this is a NYCHA rehab afterall. You can't expect many safe buildings. Check it out, but I usually avoid that long block. There is no lighting and alot of shady characters out, especially in the summer time.

Also University ave from 174th to 181st is basically all rehabbed. I'm assuming you're talking about the long block in between W Tremont ave and Burnside ave.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Thanks for your opinion, I selected this building because it's only 5 floors not like the big buildings that are projects..and I live near by...but I heard the waiting list is long but I'm in for one bedroom and usually people need more than one...does anyone know about the criteria with the size of apt?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 PM

9 posts, read 47,114 times
Just avoid Edenwald and Castle Hill; high crime rates and isolated from the city.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Does anyone know if because I was selected for a one bedroom I can get called faster?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM

Are these apts big or small..I have a 6 month old baby and I have tons of stuff for her so I wanted to know if anyone knows if the apts in Univ consolidated rehabs were big enough??

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 83,142 times
What's a the best NYCHA Housing development outside the bronx? I'm looking to transfer to a housing development in Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan ASAP!

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
My honest opinion is that they arent too good. I read somewhere once that University rehabs where the highest crime sectors in the city. But this is a NYCHA rehab afterall. You can't expect many safe buildings. Check it out, but I usually avoid that long block. There is no lighting and alot of shady characters out, especially in the summer time.

Also University ave from 174th to 181st is basically all rehabbed. I'm assuming you're talking about the long block in between W Tremont ave and Burnside ave.
I agree that area is not a good place to choose to live in for a nycha development. East tremont and mt eden area in terms of crime is always over looked. Crime there around those housing projects are worse then most of the housing projects in the Bronx or the city for that Matter.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
Just avoid Edenwald and Castle Hill; high crime rates and isolated from the city.
Edenwald at one time was the most dangerous housing project in the Bronx or in fact the city. Its also one of the largest developments in the city followed by Queens bridge projects another mad house. The worst housing projects in the Bronx from what I know of are, Edenwald, Gunhill Projects and the Projects next to Allerton avenue by Moshulu parkway are pretty dangerous with many shady characters. South East Bronx Castle hill projects are probably one of the worst in the Bronx. West Bronx, Mt Eden projects, espicially with proximity next to i 95 a huge source for illegal guns from the south. In the south Bronx, Mott Haven, MelBrook, Moore Projects, Jackson Projects and butler projects located on park avenue between third ave and webster are the worst in the Bronx. OUtside of the Bronx, What I remember is Queensbridge is the worst and Redhook projects are also bad .

The best developments is probably baychester which is next too edenwald but not as dangerous, marbel hill projects, Pelham parkway projects, and the projects near throgsneck. There are some hit or miss housing projects like mitchell, St Marys, and Paterson but I still dont recommend not to move in to those buildings.

If anything try a Betances housing development most of them are 5-6 stories semi clean, easy to manage instead of those giant developements. Regularly patroled by police foot patrol. Some apartments in betances developments are usually 2-3 rooms. I live in a Betances and I live in a have 4 room with 1 and 1/2 bathrooms with lots of closet space for storage. Best of all Batances development doest not look like a housing developement inside or out.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-24-2010 at 01:28 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM

what about the size of the apt does anyone know if this matters so they can call faster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery