Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM

18 posts, read 179,570 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm going to attend Purchase College in the fall, and that's located in White Plains, NY. The apartments in this area/shared rooms are ridiculously expensive, and I was thinking of getting a studio in Inwood for cheaper. I do not have excess money to spend right now, and I was just wondering about the commute. Is it expensive? I know the train are about $6 each way, but is there a bus that travels between these two areas? Or perhaps between the Bronx and to the White Plains area? Thanks for any help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Inwood to Purchase would be quite a difficult commute, and would be expensive, such that you might want to look for a place closer to campus. You would need to take a city bus from Inwood to Harlem -125th Street, and then take MetroNorth train to White Plains. The MetroNorth monthly fare is around $200. Then, once in White Plains, you have to get to Purchase, which is on the other side of town, by the airport. The train from Harlem to White Plains is on the order of 30 minutes, depending upon whether or not it's express or local, they range from 25-40 minutes shceduled travel time. And, you'd need to factor in two bus rides, to and from each station, which depending upon the schedule could add significantly to travel times due to waiting for connections. And, with round trip bus fares, it might end up costing on the order of $350 for travel expenses per month.

To narrow your search to specific areas, check with the BeeLine Bus system in Westchester County if you are going to use public transit. They can give information on routes and travel times around the county. You might check into the Port Chester area, which has apartments and is not that far from the general area. I don't know about the bus system from there, and you do need to be careful with certain neighborhoods in Port Chester, though it is an up and coming area and has had some new development lately. Port Chester, depending upon the part, is only a few miles from the SUNY campus, and by car would be on the order of a 15-20 minute drive.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
One or two of the Westchester bee Line buses goes to White Plains from the 242 street terminal on the #1 subway, which goes directly thru Inwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City