U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:41 PM

878 posts, read 2,400,776 times

Advertisements

I don't know. Just because some people complain does not mean that it is a real problem. If you can invest 500,000 to 1,000,0000 dollars on an apartment and you are disturbed by noise, I would think that it would be a wise investment to purchase and install soundproof windows. I mean, they stop by 10:00 at night and they are playing in the park and it is only one day out of the week on a Saturday in the summer time. It is not like they are using an amplifier to boost the noise, it is a year round occurence or that it passes a certain time of night. Around me, you have the concerts in the park on Mondays in the summer that are amplified and no one is trying to shut them down. Also, if it is a problem then you handle it the correct way with the proper authorities. Evidently, it is only an issue for a select group of people and not the majority of the neighborhood who hear the same thing.

After reading the article in the NY Times, it seems like these could be the kind of people that will complain about anything that they may be unfamiliar with or uncomfortable around. I have lived through neighbors who complain about everything, from the food that you cook to the times you go to the bathroom in your own apartment to their being too many bodegas in the neighborhood, so just because somebody complains about something does not mean that it is a legit compliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 PM

9,587 posts, read 19,134,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I I have lived through neighbors who complain about everything, from the food that you cook to the times you go to the bathroom in your own apartment .
Wow, can you elaborate on that? What did you do? Were the complaints numerous? Were these people crazy and you just ignored them?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM

2,978 posts, read 2,799,611 times
Lol...the bottom line is, there has to be a balance, and I do not believe continuing the drumming as is is the answer, nor is stopping the drumming from happening. Clearly the drummers do not want to compromise as they continue doing, what they want, as loud as they want, because well...that's what they always have done. Not much of an excuse to me, and they will lose as the city has noise ordinances for such behavior. They should consider themselves lucky that they have been able to drum for this long, as they should have been shut down a long time ago.

Unfortunately, these things happen, and to assert that it is a race issue is more BS. I am not white, and if I lived by the drumming I would probably call 311 and voice the same concerns. Does this make me racist? Nope. Does this mean I hate everything that Harlem is? Of course not. It means I like to be in my apt and not hear the thumping of salsa, rock, drums, Jay-Z, etc through my CLOSED windows. Why is this so hard to understand?

And those who believe "you spent $500,000 or $1,000,000 you can afford sound proof windows" is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! Hey who cares about the screaming, fighting, stabbings, and loud music on the trains, streets, or restaurants, just wear ear plugs and blinders and get over it. That's nonsense.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:18 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,542,920 times
Again you are not using good analogies: dealing drugs, fights and stabbings in restaurants and on subways is not comparable to music in a public park.

A better analogy would be someone forking out millions to buy a place on fifth ave, and then complaining about the noise from the many parades that occur throughout the year, and demanding the parades adjust the street they the go down, or not have as many loud bands in the parade.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 PM

What you view as music I and other see as a loud, stomping sound. What some see as "business" and "trying to make ends meet" I see as drug dealing. What some see as "a beautiful melody of rhythmic sensations" other see as "blaring salsa music at 10pm." This drumming is viewed differently than just music, and as a result, it is a nuisance to many and there are laws for that reason, for better or worse.

Regarding your parade analogy, those are city approved, permitted events that are in no way analagous or comparable to a bunch of people banging drums in a park. Did they pull a permit? Is it a city event? If not...it is a bunch of people banging drums because....well...they always bang drums! They will lose and because they do not compromise the drumming will end, and they will no doubt blame "whitey" for keeping them down yet again.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,542,920 times
It is my understanding that the drummers do have permits, which means they are city approved.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,455,622 times
Gosh, what would this city be like if all the drummers and others who create our rich culture have to be WHITEWASHED and MAINSTREAMED. I personally love the drumming!

And as to the sound proofing, I have a friend who lives on the 2nd floor on Second Ave in the 80's and I could not believe how absolutely QUIET her apartment was because of the double windows. You couldn't hear anything, while I knew another guy on the 15th floor on Second Ave and you heard every car and bus driving by.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:47 PM

169 posts, read 358,686 times
has this been an issue in the past? Anybody obviously has a right to live in harlem, but why would you want to live there if you complain about traditions of the neighborhood thats been there for years? That's like me moving to riverdale and complaining about the loud jewish rock music they blare during the street festivals--its not going to change a damn thing, because its a jewish neighborhood. Same goes with harlem, which I'd hope u know has been an african american mecca for over a century.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 PM

40,058 posts, read 28,230,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
It is my understanding that the drummers do have permits, which means they are city approved.
Having a permit is not permission to violate noise ordinances. The only thing more ridiculous would be to suggest that the residents can afford soundproofing.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Thank you Fred! Good grief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City