U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 PM

81 posts, read 272,547 times
wow......im suprised to see people in this thread that are usually boasting about new york's culture, all of a sudden talk of possibly getting the authorities to shut down african drummers and a church who have cultural roots in thier communities. this is not a group of people randomly making noise in a park, this is people making MUSIC. you may not like the music, and thats your opinion but you have to acknowledge that it is indeed music. imagine if i moved to the lower east side in the 1980's above CBGB and i thought they were too loud..........should i try to have them shut down? i dont like punk music at all but i respect the fact that other people like it and overall i respect that it is music. Besides this is new york city, there will always be alot of noise.....and in a city where you live side by side with many different cultures you have to be tolerant and accomidating to other people and other cultures. it is well within your right to complain as a new yorker but dont expect people to change traditions and change thier habits and way of living just cause it doesnt tickle your fancy............comparing old men playing drums to drug dealers? are you serious? the noise ordinance is for noise not music...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 PM

169 posts, read 276,320 times
word. and guy, my question was for you, because I kno u love gentrification: what about riverdale? why don't you say "the jewish festivals should pipe down because they're violating noise ordinances, good riddance!" ?? cuz i can guarantee you they blast the jewish rock louder than the african drums in harlem.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,141,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I like the drummers I see from time to time on A and the D trains. Dudes can play!
I understand that some people enjoy this but, based on the lack of applause and/or donations to the "musicians," more people DON'T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Let's face it the noise is part of what makes the city interesting and lively.
Not when you literally can't get away from it (e.g., when riding on the subway). Turning up the iPod to try drowning it out is not only dangerous to one's hearing, but totally ineffectual when dueling with percussion instruments. They need to take it someplace else.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM

899 posts, read 2,492,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Umm...come on now folks. A little neighborly consideration is in order here. The issue is not the drumming..it is the drumming that is so loud it pierces walls, keeps people from living their lives, and goes late! What exactly is noble about this? Keep the drumming, but move it somewhere inside the park that does not bother people, or tone it down and don't go so late.

Why is this a problem that is the fault of the new neighbors? Let's be serious! I live adjacent to a parking lot, always have been, and they love having parties regardless of me or anyone else, always have been. It was fine with my parents, but it's not fine with me. I ask them to turn it down, they said no, called the cops and then they turned it down and life moved on. They occassionaly have their parties now, but are more considerate of me and neighbors.

Life changes..and something that was acceptable 20 years ago is not today. This is a nuisance to neighbors, NEW AND OLD, so why can't the drummer compromise? They don't own the park or have a right to do whatever they want...that is the purpose of noise ordinances. I think the newbies have every right to complain and the drummers should comply.
Sometimes I dont understand you. One day you write about New York maintaining its culture, but the next day you write "life changes". This is a part of Harlem culture. Did it occur to you that if this has been going on for 20 years or so and the old residents actually like this? The media only reports the negative, particularly when we are talking about minorities and positive cultural things like this, so the fact that that this was not reported in the past would support that. This happens once a week for 3 - 4 months per year until 10pm. 10pm should not be an issue for most of these residents as this is NYC "the so called city that never sleeps" and i'm sure that for what they charge most of these people are corporate workers who usually don't work on Sunday anyway. The drummers have made concessions as this is the third location they have been moved to.

Last edited by ogplife; 07-07-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM

878 posts, read 1,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Wow, can you elaborate on that? What did you do? Were the complaints numerous? Were these people crazy and you just ignored them?
No, the complaints were not directed at me but at other people in the buidling. I did have one complaint when I had company over for the first time in a year and we were just talking and someone called Security because we were too loud. This complaint actually made me not renew my lease ath the buidling that I lived in previous to moving to Crown Heights because I know that we were not that loud and it was a Saturday and it was around 9:00 p.m. I decided that I did not want to deal with stuff like that because too me, it was ridiculous.

I live on the same floor as my aunt in Crown Heights, and her downstairs neighbor complains that she walks too loud at night to go to the bathroom. Mind you, the women is around 70 years old, goes to sleep at about 8:00 p.m., is not heavy footed and has lived there for about 40 years. The food complaints come from people who either do not like the smell of Carribean curry that a lot of people utiilze in the neighborhood or the smell of garlic which is another favorite for some people. The bodega thing is something that I have heard a lot of people say but for the life of me, I don't know what the issue is. The biggest issue that I had about noise complaints in this apartment is during the past year, my downstairs neighbor decided that my small electric dryer that I have been using for over 10 years makes too much noise for him and he can't sleep. He has been hearing it for the longest and it never bothered him but now it has become an issue for him. Resolution is that I don't dry clothes at night.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 PM

1,916 posts, read 5,221,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
No, the complaints were not directed at me but at other people in the buidling. I did have one complaint when I had company over for the first time in a year and we were just talking and someone called Security because we were too loud. This complaint actually made me not renew my lease ath the buidling that I lived in previous to moving to Crown Heights because I know that we were not that loud and it was a Saturday and it was around 9:00 p.m. I decided that I did not want to deal with stuff like that because too me, it was ridiculous.

I live on the same floor as my aunt in Crown Heights, and her downstairs neighbor complains that she walks too loud at night to go to the bathroom. Mind you, the women is around 70 years old, goes to sleep at about 8:00 p.m., is not heavy footed and has lived there for about 40 years. The food complaints come from people who either do not like the smell of Carribean curry that a lot of people utiilze in the neighborhood or the smell of garlic which is another favorite for some people. The bodega thing is something that I have heard a lot of people say but for the life of me, I don't know what the issue is. The biggest issue that I had about noise complaints in this apartment is during the past year, my downstairs neighbor decided that my small electric dryer that I have been using for over 10 years makes too much noise for him and he can't sleep. He has been hearing it for the longest and it never bothered him but now it has become an issue for him. Resolution is that I don't dry clothes at night.
Wow, this really makes me glad that all my neighbors (up, down, adjacent) are very polite to me, and don't bother me at all about anything that I do in my house.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 PM

9,866 posts, read 17,445,608 times
well you know what, to take it away from people in harlem, arent newcomers to little italy complaining to shut down the san gennaro parade? sheesh.

its a simple fact that 15-20 years ago, this drumming story wouldnt make the newspapers. maybe we say because there were 2 much murders. now that the city has improved, people must find something to complain about.

now newcomers come in and want to change the social fabric of a neighborhood because they pay high mortgage. imagine that people want the suburbian peace and quiet on a 12 mile long island inhabited by almost 2 million people. LOL.

what about the people in my age demographic, who were kids in the 80s and didnt have the financial means to buy a home, but its been a lifelong dream to own in harlem? they wont even get a chance to fulfill their dream. it really sucks. they wont even get a chance to complain about the drums.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2008, 05:02 PM

878 posts, read 1,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
And those who believe "you spent $500,000 or $1,000,000 you can afford sound proof windows" is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! Hey who cares about the screaming, fighting, stabbings, and loud music on the trains, streets, or restaurants, just wear ear plugs and blinders and get over it. That's nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Having a permit is not permission to violate noise ordinances. The only thing more ridiculous would be to suggest that the residents can afford soundproofing.
If you feel that the thought of sound proofing your windows is dumb so be it but I still contend that if you can spend 1/2 million to a million dollars or more on an apartment, you can soundproof your windows and eliminate any distracting noise that is occuring outside. We are not talking about poor residents or middle class residents (unless they are in the upper bracket of middle class income). You spend money to weather proof your house against the elements, you renovate your place to make it more comfortable so why not sound proof it if that is such a major issue to you. These complaints come from one building (from what I have read and not even all of the tenants in said buidling) and they have tried to accomodate them to the best of their ability (to the point that the drummers were moved to the top of a hill that some of them and older people who came to participate could not navigate easily) but still nothing but the elimination of the drummers seems to be satisfactory to them.

The drumming occurs about 16 times out of the course of 365 days for approximately 5 hours (4:00 .p.m. to around 9:00 p.m.) and if you are willing to eliminate the tradition that was borne and bred in that neighborhood then you might as well eliminate traditions that occur all over New York City and just make it one big homogeneous city that has nothing unique or flavorful about it. If those rich traditions were not allowed to flourish and thrive then Harlem would not be regarded as the Capital of Black America and we would never have had the Harlem Renaissance where some of the greatest writers, singers, dancers learned their trade through the vibrant energy that was displayed there and that they reveled in. Nowadays, I guess that means nothing because it happened in the past but there are people who still remember the history of Harlem and that is the reason why they want to move and settle there. Not because there is a Starbucks on the corner or a Ben and Jerry's in walking distance. You choose certain neighborhoods not only because of affordability or convenience but because you want to experience the vibrancy that the neighborhood offers and by chipping away one by one, the traditions of a neighborhood that vibrancy is lost and it is not regained again. This is not about drug dealing or people getting mugged, this is about something that Harlem is famous for, which is it's music, it's cultural life, it's food, it's people and without them, you do not have Harlem. You just have the Upper Upper West Side or the Upper Upper East Side and it becomes just another generic neighborhood.

If the majority of the residents are complaining that is one thing. This is a minority of people who live in one building. Don't think for a minute that the older residents or poorer residents don't know how to complain if they are irritated by the drummers. I am sure that they will make themselves heard loud and clear but maybe it does not bother them because it is a fabric of their life. The same way, on Sunday's you might hear the Baptist Church or the Penecostal Church shouting and singing from 10:00 - 2:00. I would never complain and say they are making too much noise. Raise the roof off the rafters and praise God as loud as you want to, if that is your thing. If I am irritated about it, I can turn on the TV, play music or just get out the neighborhood for a little bit. Same way I can't complain when the kids get out of school. They are loud but I knew that when I moved next door to a school.

You have concerts, parades, festivals, block parties etc, all through the summer througout neighborhoods in New York and I am sure that they irritate somebody but you don't eliminate them because somebody does not like them when the majority of the residents enjoy it. And if a resident does not enjoy something that is not a constant activity then they can just remove themselves during the times that something is occurring so that they will not be irritated. At least that is what I do on Labor Day. If I don't want to be bothered, I take myself out of the equation so that I won't be bothered. Small price to pay for harmony in a neighborhood.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 PM

9,866 posts, read 17,445,608 times
drkman, all they care about is the ability to get to midtown in 20 minutes. simple as that. they dont care about the neighborhood traditions.

with that logic, it makes no sense to even keep a chinatown in nyc...let the whole place become gentrified then.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 PM

127 posts, read 365,872 times
All this over drumming? LOL I once made a noise complaint to 311. Univision sponsored a Puerto Rican Day festivity at Edgar Allan Poe park. A band was playing salsa at 6am in the morning. Needless to say it woke me up! The music was loud and the 311 operator agreed with me. He sent the police from the nearby police precint. I never followed-up on the results, but I hope Univision changed their plans next year. I gotta admit that I felt a little weird protesting salsa music in a borough that is known for its salsa music, but just because residents in the vicinity are primarily Hispanic does not mean that you can blast Spanish music at any time of the day.

I have another "salsa problem" that I may tackle soon. I have an annoying 2nd floor neighbor that likes to go on her fire-escape, cut her veggies, and blast her melancholic salsa music around 10pm at night. She needs a man badly. Any takers? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City