U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 PM

1,915 posts, read 6,877,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
All this over drumming? LOL I once made a noise complaint to 311. Univision sponsored a Puerto Rican Day festivity at Edgar Allan Poe park. A band was playing salsa at 6am in the morning. Needless to say it woke me up! The music was loud and the 311 operator agreed with me. He sent the police from the nearby police precint. I never followed-up on the results, but I hope Univision changed their plans next year. I gotta admit that I felt a little weird protesting salsa music in a borough that is known for its salsa music, but just because residents in the vicinity are primarily Hispanic does not mean that you can blast Spanish music at any time of the day.

I have another "salsa problem" that I may tackle soon. I have an annoying 2nd floor neighbor that likes to go on her fire-escape, cut her veggies, and blast her melancholic salsa music around 10pm at night. She needs a man badly. Any takers? lol
How old?
But seriously, good for you! I'm glad you were able to fix something that was bothering you, because it seems like a lot of people here aren't willing to do that. Of course there is going over the line, but in your case, it seemed perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 PM

9,594 posts, read 19,145,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
And as far as making things a "race" issue, the white people involved are more guilty of contributing to the "playing of the race card" by sending raciest emails.
I think if you look at this blog BLACK HARLEM, you will see that the black people are making it a race issue just as much as the white people. Here's a quote, obviously sarcastic: HOW DO YOU EXPECT BIF AND AMBER TO SUN THEMSELVES IN PEACE WITH ALL THAT DRUMMING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
The drumming occurs about 16 times out of the course of 365 days for approximately 5 hours (4:00 .p.m. to around 9:00 p.m.) .
What makes you think it starts at 4pm? I'm sure there are people saying different things different places, but a guy interviewed for the NPR piece says it goes from 11am to 10pm. I don't think anyone is saying 10pm is too late for some noise, I think it's the fact that it goes on ALL DAY.
Drumming Up a Protest in a Harlem Park : NPR

And if you want to get a sense of how these neighbors might feel, then play this youtube video "Harlem Drum circle" really loud. I played it for the entire 5 minutes not even all that loud and I had to turn it down in the middle.
YouTube - Marcus Garvey Park Drum Circle,New York City

I also wanted to note that the NPR piece mentions that the drummers have been moved 3 times "over the last 30 years" due to noise complaints. They have not been moved 3 times over the last 1 or 2 years. The piece doesn't make it clear when the first complaints started, but I really think the complaints are not a brand new thing.

The drummers were moved from near the entrance to further into the park but I think they didn't feel that was an appropriate location for them because it was harder for some of the older drummers to get further into the park - so they moved back to the entrance.

If I lived there I suspect I would complain too.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,179,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
I have another "salsa problem" that I may tackle soon. I have an annoying 2nd floor neighbor that likes to go on her fire-escape, cut her veggies, and blast her melancholic salsa music around 10pm at night. She needs a man badly. Any takers? lol
Someone on the other side of our courtyard also blasts music into the wee hours of the morning. I'll be glad to send him your way and he and your neighbor can (bad pun warning) "make beautiful music together" .....

Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 AM

99 posts, read 440,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think if you look at this blog BLACK HARLEM, you will see that the black people are making it a race issue just as much as the white people. Here's a quote, obviously sarcastic: HOW DO YOU EXPECT BIF AND AMBER TO SUN THEMSELVES IN PEACE WITH ALL THAT DRUMMING?

What makes you think it starts at 4pm? I'm sure there are people saying different things different places, but a guy interviewed for the NPR piece says it goes from 11am to 10pm. I don't think anyone is saying 10pm is too late for some noise, I think it's the fact that it goes on ALL DAY.

And if you want to get a sense of how these neighbors might feel, then play this youtube video "Harlem Drum circle" really loud. I played it for the entire 5 minutes not even all that loud and I had to turn it down in the middle.
YouTube - Marcus Garvey Park Drum Circle,New York City

I also wanted to note that the NPR piece mentions that the drummers have been moved 3 times "over the last 30 years" due to noise complaints. They have not been moved 3 times over the last 1 or 2 years. The piece doesn't make it clear when the first complaints started, but I really think the complaints are not a brand new thing.

The drummers were moved from near the entrance to further into the park but I think they didn't feel that was an appropriate location for them because it was harder for some of the older drummers to get further into the park - so they moved back to the entrance.

If I lived there I suspect I would complain too.

i played the harlem drum circle you tube video really loud and half way through i was wishing i could raise the volume more......matter of fact im thinking of walking with my kids over to Marcus Garvey park this saturday to absorb some of this culture........see, different strokes for different folks.......what makes anyone else's opinion more valid than mine? because they have money and i don't? and you are right it isnt clear how many times the drummers moved or when.... but if they did only move 3 times in 30 years that means once every 10 years someone complained, according to your observation.That sounds like it didnt bother too many people to me.(personally i think they moved 3 times recently). feel free to compain but like i said before, just cause something doesnt float your boat doesnt make it wrong.......

Nevermind that black harlem blog, thats only one guy that doesnt have anything to do with anything. it would be different if he was a tenant of one of the buildings or a drummer or a resident of the area......but he's not.....so dont say "black people".....when its just one black person you'r reffering to. and the music is only on saturday? the new residents cant accomodate the drummers for 1 day out of 7? overall this doesnt seem like just a racial issue......its seems to be a lack of cultural understanding and elitist attitude of some.....who feel like just because THEY dont like it, it has to go.......and i still think anyone who moves across the street from a park in HARLEM and expects peace and quiet is naive. i cant name a park in Harlem that doesnt have bbq's/basketball tournaments/live concerts or music during the summer.....except for riverbank mabye......now if i was armed with that knowledge and looking to purchase in the Harlem area, mabye i would choose not to live by a park if i dont like noise .....just like i wouldnt live over a club or under an el train if i didnt like noise.........that is Marcus Garvey Park in the village of Harlem, respect the history and the culture.

Last edited by DewDrop149; 07-08-2008 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 AM

393 posts, read 1,166,928 times
These Urban Pioneers want to live in the hood for the cheap real estate and to be multi cultural. But it appears they don't like the true culture of the hood. Anybody who spends a million bucks to live in harlem is a idiot and deserves to listen to drums all day. I laugh at them all, in brooklyn.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,456,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
These Urban Pioneers want to live in the hood for the cheap real estate and to be multi cultural. But it appears they don't like the true culture of the hood. Anybody who spends a million bucks to live in harlem is a idiot and deserves to listen to drums all day. I laugh at them all, in brooklyn.
No offense to anyone in BK, the borough of my birth, but I would pick Harlem over BK anyday because of the convenience of being in the city and on the major train lines. Both boroughs of course have access to the major train lines (I know!) and beautiful brownstones and tree lined streets. But if you work in the city and you've always lived here, and not in the boroughs, I can see why you'd pick it. However, I suspect these people are not even from the city, probably recent transplants looking for a bargain like you said. So they indeed deserve what they get LOL.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 AM

878 posts, read 2,401,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I listened to the NPR piece and they stated in the text that sometimes it lasts for more than 4 hours, which would confirm, too me, that the basic drum circle is about 4 hours long and on occassion it goes longer. What I got from the guy is that he was using his own agenda for the interview and just picked 11:00 to strengthen what he was saying. Also, by listening to him, he appears to be everything that people complain about regarding gentrification of a neighborhood, since, too me, he basically made the argument of I have money, I have moved here and now the neighborhood must conform to me since we live in a capitalistic society. Not exactly someone who cares about the traditions of a neighborhood but someone who wants to rebuild a neighborhood in their own image for their own purpose.

Last edited by drkman; 07-08-2008 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 AM

2,978 posts, read 2,801,815 times
Okay so I missed alot of this but here are a few points:

-Nobody wants to shut down the drumming, nobody wants to silence gospel choirs, nobody want to silence Jewish Punk rockers! Want they want is consideration and compromise so that we can ALL live happily. NYC is about culture and change...but it is also about tradition too. However, we can not just ignore changes that are happening and continue blindly doing whatever we do because that is how it has always been! I always wake up at 6am and play loud music for the past 20 years, and nobody ever complained. I have 2 new neighbors now and they asked me to turn it down because they work nights and sleep at 4am. Instead of saying "F.U. I have been doing this for 20 years, long before you came here, too bad", you simply turn it down and now everyone is happy. What's the big deal exactly? I get my music, they get to sleep..and life goes on. Or I can say they are racist because they hate me and my salsa music and I can start a pointless race war. Yay!

-I am not for gentrification, nor have I ever stated that...so jackson do not make such false claims. This has nothing to do with gentrification or 10 million dollar condos. It has to do with quality of life issues that were on the back burner because people were getting raped, shot and killed on a daily basis. Who wants to complain about drumming when you can't go out side for fear of being a victim of crime. Now that crimes issues are resolved, other issues are coming to the forefront, this is normal. With change comes tension, but let's not forget that this used to be the other way around in many communities. When whites were the dominant group and people of color were moving in, these same problems were occuring, just in reverse. So let's keep things in perspective here.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 AM

9,594 posts, read 19,145,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
i
Nevermind that black harlem blog, thats only one guy that doesnt have anything to do with anything. it would be different if he was a tenant of one of the buildings or a drummer or a resident of the area......but he's not.....so dont say "black people".....when its just one black person you'r reffering to. .
You seem to have missed the fact that I was responding to other people's posts. Someone said that "white poeple" are the only ones making this a racial issue and that's clearly wrong. I supported my statement with an example of black people making it an issue as well, and you are all over me for saying "black people". Sorry, but just because you don't like my example doesn't mean it's not real.

And btw, you clearly have NO WAY of knowing that "this is just one black guy". A tiny little simple google search will tell you that there are plenty of other black people out there participating in this issue as a "racial" one. How about another example:

"Go back to the burbs to starve, yuppie scum. You made your bed, now "stay white and die" in it. Nobody gives a sh** about you or your dead-*ss culture. If you're so smart, how did the country you form the "elite" of get so f***d with you at the helm, losers?"

The Epic Of The Fall - ATTENTION ORISHA WORSHIPPERS: White Yuppies Seek To Drive Bataleros From Harlem's Marcus Garvey Park

Also, even in the original NY times article there is this sentence: "the New Black Panther Party, which espouses anti-white ideals, has marched in support of the drummers."

Doesn't sound like just one black guy participating in this issue as a black/white situation, does it?

So it's nice that you think you know everything about this issue, but I'm sorry to say that you really don't. Nor do I, but I can do 30 seconds of research and find out more than you seem to have been able to.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 AM

2,847 posts, read 5,777,392 times
Drummers also converge every Sunday afternoon in Prospect Park, by the Parkside and Ocean Avenue entrance. Still going strong.

A popular house music outdoor summer party was shut down in Fort Greene Park in Brooklyn. I'm not exactly sure of the reason, but down the block at a restaurant called Madeba's, a full band is no longer permitted to play there. One night, I saw a band that made up of half of Paul Simon's cats and the other David Letterman's. Glad I got to see that, before the shutdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City