Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately people enjoy making things racial issues. Yes there are knuckleheads that say and do dumb things, but the reality for most people is that it has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with consideration for your neighbors. When people choose not to compromise, because "that's what we always have done so too bad" this is what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Drummers also converge every Sunday afternoon in Prospect Park, by the Parkside and Ocean Avenue entrance. Still going strong.

A popular house music outdoor summer party was shut down in Fort Greene Park in Brooklyn. I'm not exactly sure of the reason, but down the block at a restaurant called Madeba's, a full band is no longer permitted to play there. One night, I saw a band that made up of half of Paul Simon's cats and the other David Letterman's. Glad I got to see that, before the shutdown.
well scatman, parkside and ocean has not gentrified yet, and thats all i'm going to say about it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Just a question here. Exactly what type of compromise should be suggested? Keep in mind these couple of points:

- The drum circle is active in the summer months only
- The drum circle is active on Saturday's only
- The drum circle goes for approximately 4 hours
- The drum circle needs to be in a place that is accessible to the elderly

With that in mind, what should the participants of the drum circle do to appease the newer residents (and I say newer residents because all of the articles that I have read basically state the newer residents. The older residents are not complaining about this)?

What kind of compromise should the newer residents make in order to rectify this situation or should they not have to compromise at all and the drum circle should be eliminated?

This is not about a constant Saturday morning thing that goes on for 52 weeks throughout the year. This is about something that happens about 16 times during the course of the year. It is not about an all day occurence. It is about approximately 4 hours on said Saturdays. It is not about being rude or inconsiderate to your neighbors. It is about a tradition in that park that people from all areas come to participate in. Keep in mind that when an issue occured before, the residents talked to the drummers and asked them to move and a compromise was reached that must have been acceptable for the past decade.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:52 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
Just a question here. Exactly what type of compromise should be suggested? Keep in mind these couple of points:

- The drum circle is active in the summer months only
- The drum circle is active on Saturday's only
- The drum circle goes for approximately 4 hours
- The drum circle needs to be in a place that is accessible to the elderly

With that in mind, what should the participants of the drum circle do to appease the newer residents (and I say newer residents because all of the articles that I have read basically state the newer residents. The older residents are not complaining about this)?

What kind of compromise should the newer residents make in order to rectify this situation or should they not have to compromise at all and the drum circle should be eliminated?

This is not about a constant Saturday morning thing that goes on for 52 weeks throughout the year. This is about something that happens about 16 times during the course of the year. It is not about an all day occurence. It is about approximately 4 hours on said Saturdays. It is not about being rude or inconsiderate to your neighbors. It is about a tradition in that park that people from all areas come to participate in. Keep in mind that when an issue occured before, the residents talked to the drummers and asked them to move and a compromise was reached that must have been acceptable for the past decade.
Given those circumstances, I really don't think a compromise needs to be reached. Every neighborhood has it's little traditions, and they shouldn't be taken away.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
Very well said drkman.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Unfortunately, whether they are diong it for 4 hours...or 4 minutes, for 30 years...or 2 days, a nuisance is a nuisance. Times change, people change..what wasn't a nuisance before, like smoking, is a nuisance today. As a result, a compromise clearly must be reached, because ultimately the drummers will lose, and will be banned from playing, and nobody wants to see that. I do not have any of the answers here, nor do I believe that "whites are trying to kill Harlem and all black people" anymore than I believe "black people own Harlem and can do whatever they want because they have been doing it for 30 years with no complaints."

It is about being considerate of your nieghbors, and if the drumming wasn't so loud that is pierces walls, the reality is nobody would have a problem with it and it would be a nonissue. I think the complaints are valid and are actually from locals AND newbies, the news is choosing to make it "us against them" and "white vs black" because thats what the media does....they sensationalize and antagonize to sell papers and keep people watching, not to report the news.

I would prefer seeing the drumming continue, but why can't we have it toned down? I like when people listen to salsa music, I love it..but not blasting out of a car parked in front of my house for 4 hours, or rock music blasting from my upstairs neighbor for 3 hours. The net effect is the same as the drumming, loud noise that is a nuisance, whether you actually like the music, or in this case drumming, or not.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times
I think the problem is that you see the drumming in the park as an equivalent to someone parked in front of your house playing loud music from their car, or your neighbor upstairs deciding to play loud music one evening. To me, its not the same thing.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:38 PM

It is not the same thing, but the net effect is the same, loud noise penetrating your home, whether you actually like the music/drumming/screaming/fighting/thumping is moot. As I stated, if they can mute the drumming so it is not so loud as to disturb people in their homes, it would be a nonissue. Does it have to be that loud? If so, it will be stopped, unfortunately.

I can choose to listen to my music at normal levels so as not to bother my neighbors, or I can blast it because I can/want to. Maybe people will complain..and maybe they won't. If they do...you can bet I will have to turn it down, one way or the other. That's the bottom line.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
How do you turn down a non-electronic drum?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Most people in the area seem to be fine with the drumming. I would be inclined to side with the new residents if there were overwhelming complaints about the drum noise but it seems like it is mostly complaints from a relatively small group of people. Probably some older White folks who don't appreciate the drum beat and/or have very strict sleeping routines.

It's an interesting story so it gets coverage. Didn't the times run a very similar piece like about a year ago. I know this isn't the first time this specific subject has come up as a thread topic on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City