U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 PM

878 posts, read 2,401,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post
The real issue is the city's pitiful enforcement of noise ordinances, which remain the number one quality of life issue year after year after year.

The law on the books is clear. If you do something unnecessary that exceeds 75 decibels, you're hit with a $220 fine. It's really that simple. Cultural issues? I could claim that I don't want mufflers on my Harley for cultural reasons. The cops would laugh at me if I argued that. Especially since I don't even own a Harley.

I don't know for a fact that the drummers make more than 75 decibels of noise, but I would bet that they do, based on what residents say. Interestingly, the Times article doesn't even mention decibels. I wonder why, in a story that's all about noise.

So why aren't the drummers fined? Ah, there's the rub. It seems there's one set of laws for most of us, and another set for the residents of Harlem, who must never, ever be disturbed or inconvenienced in any way.

Sorry, but it's time Harlem grew up. This is a multi-cultural city alright, but one where laws are on the books for a reason. Harlem is not exempt. They have reps on the City Council, and I'm going to assume they were present and accounted for at the votes on noise statutes. And if they weren't, then it's their own fault.
I seriously doubt that residents of Harlem have a different set of laws then the rest of the city. From my understanding, the drummers come from all over the city to play in the park. I have not read where all of the drummers are residents of Harlem. I also have not read that the majority of Harlem residents complained. Harlem is a very political community so when they are fighting to hold on to some semblance of what made Harlem famous it is not a frivilous fight. Whether or not you like Harlem or appreciate it's culture is not the issue. Harlem is unique in New York history and people from all over the world come to visit Harlem and know about Harlem because of the uniqueness. Nobody comes to Harlem to visit Starbucks but they do come too see the Apollo, eat at Sylvia's, explore the energy of the neighborhood, visit the Lenox Lounge, St. Nick's Pub etc. They come to learn about the cultural traditons and the drumming is part of that tradition. Evidently, the new residents saw that and were able to compromise with the drummers, which is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM

2,978 posts, read 2,801,815 times
Yes I am glad to hear the resident and drummers came to a compromise, besides all the race-baiting hype by the media and ignorant folks that blow things out of proportion for their own interests. As usual, a compromise was found and everyone lives happily ever after, which is what I suspected.

We didn't make it this far in NYC by not compromising.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 11,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I agree. New residents should not move in at the expense of losing long cultural traditions because of noise.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City