Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times

Advertisements

Umm...come on now folks. A little neighborly consideration is in order here. The issue is not the drumming..it is the drumming that is so loud it pierces walls, keeps people from living their lives, and goes late! What exactly is noble about this? Keep the drumming, but move it somewhere inside the park that does not bother people, or tone it down and don't go so late.

Why is this a problem that is the fault of the new neighbors? Let's be serious! I live adjacent to a parking lot, always have been, and they love having parties regardless of me or anyone else, always have been. It was fine with my parents, but it's not fine with me. I ask them to turn it down, they said no, called the cops and then they turned it down and life moved on. They occassionaly have their parties now, but are more considerate of me and neighbors.

Life changes..and something that was acceptable 20 years ago is not today. This is a nuisance to neighbors, NEW AND OLD, so why can't the drummer compromise? They don't own the park or have a right to do whatever they want...that is the purpose of noise ordinances. I think the newbies have every right to complain and the drummers should comply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:28 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,096 times
when you seek diversity be sure to have plenty of tolerance with you

Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Umm...come on now folks. A little neighborly consideration is in order here. The issue is not the drumming..it is the drumming that is so loud it pierces walls, keeps people from living their lives, and goes late! What exactly is noble about this? Keep the drumming, but move it somewhere inside the park that does not bother people, or tone it down and don't go so late.

Why is this a problem that is the fault of the new neighbors? Let's be serious! I live adjacent to a parking lot, always have been, and they love having parties regardless of me or anyone else, always have been. It was fine with my parents, but it's not fine with me. I ask them to turn it down, they said no, called the cops and then they turned it down and life moved on. They occassionaly have their parties now, but are more considerate of me and neighbors.

Life changes..and something that was acceptable 20 years ago is not today. This is a nuisance to neighbors, NEW AND OLD, so why can't the drummer compromise? They don't own the park or have a right to do whatever they want...that is the purpose of noise ordinances. I think the newbies have every right to complain and the drummers should comply.

The drummers have already been moved three times within the park. The article does not mention adjacent buildings complaining, and also mentions not everyone in the subject building has a problem with the drummers, so some people obviously are not that bothered. Also, many blocks are noisy b/f ten, should we all complain?

I have a church next to be that every Sunday blares the loudest gospel music. I happen to enjoy it, however if I did not, do I have a right to complain b/c I like to sleep in on Sundays, no I do not. I chose to live near the church.

As long as they are stopping by ten, I don't see what the problem is. And the raciest emails make me think the substance of their complaints may have motives other than just being bothered by loud music.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM

Actually you do have a right to complain at whatever you like...don't deny yourself such right. I also live by a very loud gospel church, and yes I am in the process of complaining about that too. The city will provide you with an inspector that will come to your place of residence with some sort of noise measuring device, and they will take measurements inside and outside your residence. If the noise is over and above whatever the threshhold is, the business/entity is sent a notice to abate and comply. If they do not they receive very hefty fines, problem solved.

The issue is not to stop doing whatever it is you are doing. I could careless if people are drumming, people are celebrating, whatever, it is when it infringes on my right to peace is when it is a problem, and the city has processes and procedures for just that purpose. The issue is to be considerate of neighbors, and if someone chooses to just do what they want, because, well...they feel like it, or because "we have always done this", then I have no choice but to take action as well. I try to be civil, polite, and speak to people myself, but when they choose to exercise their right to basically say "F.U., I don't care." is when I exercise mine to take action through the city.

No hard feelings, no ill will. But if that is the game they are choosing to play, and it seems that they are, the neighbors are very much in the right and justified to complain and ultimately have them shut down. The drummers will lose..and of course...they will blame "racism" when the reality is, they are inconsiderate, rude, and uncompromising.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Actually you do have a right to complain at whatever you like...don't deny yourself such right. I also live by a very loud gospel church, and yes I am in the process of complaining about that too. The city will provide you with an inspector that will come to your place of residence with some sort of noise measuring device, and they will take measurements inside and outside your residence. If the noise is over and above whatever the threshhold is, the business/entity is sent a notice to abate and comply. If they do not they receive very hefty fines, problem solved.

The issue is not to stop doing whatever it is you are doing. I could careless if people are drumming, people are celebrating, whatever, it is when it infringes on my right to peace is when it is a problem, and the city has processes and procedures for just that purpose. The issue is to be considerate of neighbors, and if someone chooses to just do what they want, because, well...they feel like it, or because "we have always done this", then I have no choice but to take action as well. I try to be civil, polite, and speak to people myself, but when they choose to exercise their right to basically say "F.U., I don't care." is when I exercise mine to take action through the city.

No hard feelings, no ill will. But if that is the game they are choosing to play, and it seems that they are, the neighbors are very much in the right and justified to complain and ultimately have them shut down. The drummers will lose..and of course...they will blame "racism" when the reality is, they are inconsiderate, rude, and uncompromising.

You are correct, I do have a right to complain about anything I want, but I choose wisely what to complain about. The gospel singers next door to me are something I choose not to complain about. The people that party with loud music in the building on the other side of me, I also choose not to complain about b/c 95% of the time, they turn the music off by 10. They get to party, I get to sleep, everybody wins.

From all of the articles I have read, they have been drumming in the park for 30 years. Why now is it such and issue?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Agreed that you should pick your battles wisely! The argument of "we have always done this so it should not be a problem today" is a losing one! I don't care if they have been doing it for 1,000 years, or just started yesterday. It is a problem today because people are complaining today. Period. In many areas of the city, drug dealing has been going on for 25 years partly because nobody was complaining and it was just accepted. People complain now, and drug dealers are scurrying. But wait...they have been dealing drugs for 25 years on those corners/blocks...so why complain now?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 AM

lol...Okay the drug dealing analogy I think is a bad one b/c the two activities are not comparable. However, I get your point. What if much of the neighborhood enjoys the drumming? Why do they not get a say? Why do the new people get to decide what goes on in Marcus Garvey in the summers?

I think if you are buying an apartment you have the responsibility of researching the area. I don't think you should first buy the apartment and then scream and yell to stop something that has been happening near your apartment for 30 years.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM

And as far as making things a "race" issue, the white people involved are more guilty of contributing to the "playing of the race card" by sending raciest emails.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 AM

I think the new people are not getting to decide what is happening anywhere, but they are complaining, and that is the bottom line, for better or worse. There are significant numbers of locals who also do not like the drumming, but they either chose to suck it up, or are not savvy/aware/confident enough to assert their complaints to the proper channels...so it is not just the newbies.

Furthermore, just because they move to a new area and "research" does not mean they do not have a right to complain. If they move next door to a building that has rats and garbage, they are well within their rights to have the city fine them and clean the problem. I applaud these people for having the guts to go against the grain and akcnowledge the drumming as a nuisance...which is what it is for the newbies as well as locals.

The question is..why as a newbie you have no right to complain?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Newbies do have the right to complain, however IMO the newbies should not win this battle. Guess we will just have to see what happens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City