U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 AM

9,597 posts, read 19,155,418 times

Advertisements

Did anyone read this article?
An Old Sound in Harlem Draws Neighbors' Ire

I thought it was pretty interesting - I guess it's an old subject (gentification) with a different spin)

"The drummers in the park are African-American and from Africa and the Caribbean. They form a circle and have played in the park, in one form or another, since 1969, when the neighborhood was a more dangerous place. The musicians, who play until 10 p.m. every summer Saturday, are widely credited with helping to make the park safer over the years.

Their supporters, who acknowledge that the drumbeats can pierce walls and windows, regard the musicians as part of the city’s vibrant and often noisy cultural mix. But some in the building at 2002 Fifth Avenue, most of them young white professionals, have a different perspective: When the drummers occupy a spot nearby, residents say, they are unable to sleep, hear their television sets, speak on the telephone, or even have conversations with their spouses without shouting. Some say they cannot even think straight."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:55 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Did anyone read this article?
An Old Sound in Harlem Draws Neighbors' Ire

I thought it was pretty interesting - I guess it's an old subject (gentification) with a different spin)

"The drummers in the park are African-American and from Africa and the Caribbean. They form a circle and have played in the park, in one form or another, since 1969, when the neighborhood was a more dangerous place. The musicians, who play until 10 p.m. every summer Saturday, are widely credited with helping to make the park safer over the years.

Their supporters, who acknowledge that the drumbeats can pierce walls and windows, regard the musicians as part of the city’s vibrant and often noisy cultural mix. But some in the building at 2002 Fifth Avenue, most of them young white professionals, have a different perspective: When the drummers occupy a spot nearby, residents say, they are unable to sleep, hear their television sets, speak on the telephone, or even have conversations with their spouses without shouting. Some say they cannot even think straight."

Interesting article Henna. The noose email part makes me sick to my stomach, I hope the whole neighborhood finds out the dudes name that sent it.

The people in the building just need to get over it. 10pm is not that late. I could understand their complaints if it was midnight or one in the morning. Summer's in NYC are loud everywhere! It is part of living in the city. Marcus Garvey park in a summer hangout for people in the neighborhood. You should just understand that if you choose to live near the park.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:46 AM

1,413 posts, read 4,501,859 times
I agree that the buyers did not do their due diligence. I used to live near Tompkins Square park and found out rather quickly that it was not a place to go to read a book due to the drummers. I was disappointed, but moved on - as the new owners should.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:03 PM

99 posts, read 440,590 times
one of my first apts on my own was in little italy in the bronx(which as we know is no longer italian). I thought I had found a quiet apt on a quiet street. almost immediately I discovered my chicano neighbors threw basement parties in the building 2 and 3 times a week. all night until 9 am I would hear the spanish music coming up the air shaft....I lost sleep and did a lot of cursing but I didn't try to have them shut down....that was the neighborhood's thing, so who was I to interfere? like rudbekia said, that's part of city life... ......and the drummers are a cultural part of harlem that was being done before some of those new residents were born.....they should try to reach a compremise but if not they have to accept it......in my situation I moved..........

Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,183,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I agree that the buyers did not do their due diligence. I used to live near Tompkins Square park and found out rather quickly that it was not a place to go to read a book due to the drummers. I was disappointed, but moved on - as the new owners should.
No drummers in my neighborhood (although we do have Dominican music blasted 'til the wee hours of the morning) -- but too often I find myself on a subway car with drummers, usually on the long stretch between 59th & 125th Sts.

There's NO escape from them then, and the noise is actually physically uncomfortable ..... <*sighs*>

But back to the original point of the thread -- when buying into a neighborhood, you need to consider what it's like before you get there. I grew up in the Midwest and there were similar issues when people would move from the city out to rural areas. Developers would put up houses next to pig farms, and the new homeowners would start complaining about the smell. Helllooooo ??? Shoulda spent some time there before putting your money down .....

Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,326,838 times
I like the drummers I see from time to time on A and the D trains. Dudes can play!

Let's face it the noise is part of what makes the city interesting and lively.

Have the residents of the buildings near the park tried upgrading their windows? Some of the newer windows actually do an excellent job of blocking out noise. This would be an easy concession. Just a thought...

Old 07-06-2008, 01:34 PM

13,760 posts, read 29,190,262 times
classic case of moving into a neighborhood, not doing their homework, and expecting something completely different, thats all it boils down to. and i dont feel sorry for any of them. thats like somebody moving to the heart of flatbush and complaining about the soca and calypso music being played all night. or somebody moving to dumbo and complaining that the noise from the Q diamond going over the manhattan bridge drives them nuts.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 PM

318 posts, read 940,221 times
I don't have any sympathy for the new residents either. It's offensive to move into a neighborhood and begin trying to tear apart such a long-standing tradition. They should post a photo of the guy who sent the e-mail around the neighborhood. I bet he'd move out pretty quick.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM

878 posts, read 2,402,040 times
I remember when this was first reported in the newspaper and it seems as if it has gotten worse from the posted article. Harlem is a vibrant, culturaly active neighborhood that has loads of tradition that, it appears, some of the newer residents don't appreciate. Before purchasing in a neighborhood, it would be wise to investigate the neighborhood to see if you enjoy the traditions that may be there, especially in an area like Harlem. Drumbeats can be loud but I doubt that they are as disturbing as it is being made out to be. I mean, close your window, put on your air conditioner and listen to your own music if it is that disturbing.

When I first moved to Crown Heights, I remember my first experience of the night before the Caribbean Day Parade. It was an ear opening experience to be sure but it is a tradition in the neighborhood and it would be foolish for someone to complain about it. Relax, enjoy the festivities and revel in the deep culture of your neighborhood. At least, that is my motto.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 AM

731 posts, read 1,713,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
I don't have any sympathy for the new residents either. It's offensive to move into a neighborhood and begin trying to tear apart such a long-standing tradition. They should post a photo of the guy who sent the e-mail around the neighborhood. I bet he'd move out pretty quick.
I agree. New residents should not move in at the expense of losing long cultural traditions because of noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City