Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,372,982 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't let anyone steal your dream, however, since NYC is one of the culinary centers of the world, and the experience, training, and connections you could make there, while working long hours for a comparatively low wage by city standards, are worth consideration. Carefully weigh your options, since it's sometimes easier to make a jump when you're still gaining experience in a chosen field, since you're not entrenched into any one way of doing things or a larger paycheck that goes further. And, once you're finished with your training and have work experience, you most certainly would be able to upgrade your income. Saving some money would be a good start, that's for sure, but people move to the city with little money and a lot of drive and can seriously set the world on fire. It is possible to live within striking distance of the city on $35k, through the final phases of training, and even in some decent areas in the outer boroughs, though you would likely need a roommate or two to make ends meet. If you want to do it, you can seriously make it happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 04:58 AM

943 posts, read 4,256,938 times
First off I would like to congradulate you for having a real plan and realistic expectations. Your post was truly refreshing to read. Anyway I would suggest New Haven County, Connecticut, particularly the city of New Haven and Milford. I visited both multiple times in the past few years and I think they are decent short term alternatives. They would be good transitions for you as they both have their city issues, but they are not nearly as fast as NYC. They are both within an 1.5 hours of the city and have metro north access. You will find your way to the city eventually just be patient. Good luck on your search.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:04 PM

283 posts, read 1,071,814 times
You guys are total downers.

I make $33k and live in a comfortable apartment in a great neighborhood in Brooklyn. I don't make a lot of big-ticket purchases but I can afford what I need, go out for dinner and (too often) drinks whenever I have the desire. I have student loans and still manage to put away a couple hundred bucks a month. I have two roommates, which is fine for now.

There are literally thousands of people in their early- and mid-20s in this city living in almost identical circumstances. Many of them are probably miserable because they can't afford to own an HDTV and an Escalade. That's not why I decided to move here. I could probably go get a job in Ohio and buy a house in a subdivision in five years, but I'd hate my life. You can't have it all, but there are many hidden benefits that come with paying those higher rents in NYC, something that is continually lost on the more jaded posters here.

To the OP -- It sounds like you'll be able to meet all of your basic needs with no problem, so if you want to live in New York for a while, just come and do it. That's my advice.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:16 PM

11 posts, read 27,887 times
I appreciate the kind words, ogp. Unrealistic expectations caused me to lose someone very close and important to me. It hurt and it sucked, but it did pull my head out of the clouds and put my feet on the rails.

Thanks for the CT recommendation as well. I haven't completely given up on NYC yet, but I've expanded my area of choice to mostly the entire Northeastern and Mid Atlantic U.S. I'm currently looking at places like Rochester in NY state, as well as other states like NC, PA, VA, WV, MD, etc. Currently Charlotte, NC has my attention although Rochester seems nice as well and is even in-state. I do have to be careful though, because I need to be looking at places with job opportunities for someone in my line of work, which usually means a city large enough to have a few finer hotels and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City