Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 AM

11 posts, read 27,899 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a 21 year old finishing up a career training program in the Southeast US. In about 6 months, I will be finished with my training and will be placed into a paid externship program that offers to place me anywhere in the country I can afford to live and will more than likely end in a job offer. The externship is required for me to finish the program, so they will do all they can to help place me where I want to be.

I've made it a goal in my life to live/work in Manhattan eventually (not necessarily for life but that's thinking way ahead, eh?), or at least work and maybe live somewhere fairly close like Astoria (I've been reading it up here and Astoria sounds like a nice place). I know that it is not realistic of me to expect to just jump right into Manhattan or even the boroughs of NYC right away, especially considering that I don't have much of an idea regarding what my salary will be like (I've been using a $30-$35k range in searches but that could be off by a good amount on both ends).

What I am considering doing instead is maybe getting placed somewhere close and saving up and then eventually moving to somewhere in the city when I can more afford it and when I have a more secure, stable salary figure. Maybe move to the city, and then slowly but surely make my way towards Manhattan/Queens.

My question though is.. What are some places close (around two hours away or less) to NYC that are considerably cheaper to live in? I'm not altogether familiar with that area of the state (I've been to Buffalo/Niagra region a few times) and I don't really even know where to begin. If I could just get the names of a few towns/cities/etc. then I would be happy to research them myself and look for living expenses and such, though I won't turn you away if you wish to expound on your answers.

I'm sorry if maybe this belongs in another forum as well, I just thought that some other resident NYC-ites might have gotten into the city through similar means and would be able to offer advice based on experience.

Thanks everyone!

Edit:

Also, would it be realistic to expect to find apartments in decent (as in safe to go out at night) neighborhoods for under $1500/month in NYC? I would like to be in the city as soon as I possibly could, regardless of borough or anything like that, though Manhattan would still be my ultimate goal.

Last edited by jcabbott; 07-07-2008 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Clarification/Question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:36 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
I would suggest Jersey City...or somewhere on Long Island. Since it's so much further it's cheaper. (Well certain parts of LI are not as cheap). These two places are near public transportation as well.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I would suggest Jersey City...or somewhere on Long Island. Since it's so much further it's cheaper. (Well certain parts of LI are not as cheap). These two places are near public transportation as well.
Long Island has one of the highest property taxes in the U.S., and it's definitely not as cheap as one of the outer boroughs.

You shouldn't have any problem finding someplace $1,500 or less in Astoria, and it's a nice place for people your age.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Check the thread 'Moving to NYC.'

Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 AM

Thanks for all the help so far. I've been reading other threads as well, and I came across a post that mentioned White Plains, NY. I've studied it up on it a bit.. does anyone have any opinions on that location? It seems like a good place for me to become more accustomed to the big change, plus I was hoping it would be a bit cheaper since it was about 25 miles outside the city (though I don't know if that is far enough away to counteract the "city prices").

I've looked for apartments there, but everything comes up with 0 results for White Plains and instead shows a bunch of apartments in Connecticut and Newark instead.. =/

Edit: I actually would be happy with any city similar to White Plains as a place to start off, so if anybody has any suggestions as to other similar locations in the area then I would be grateful if you would share.

Last edited by jcabbott; 07-10-2008 at 02:48 AM..

Old 07-12-2008, 12:38 AM

54 posts, read 49,769 times
I would suggesttt....not moving to NYC at all! A lot of us are trying to get the hell out of here! LOL

Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcabbott View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a 21 year old finishing up a career training program in the Southeast US. In about 6 months, I will be finished with my training and will be placed into a paid externship program that offers to place me anywhere in the country I can afford to live and will more than likely end in a job offer. The externship is required for me to finish the program, so they will do all they can to help place me where I want to be.

I've made it a goal in my life to live/work in Manhattan eventually (not necessarily for life but that's thinking way ahead, eh?), or at least work and maybe live somewhere fairly close like Astoria (I've been reading it up here and Astoria sounds like a nice place). I know that it is not realistic of me to expect to just jump right into Manhattan or even the boroughs of NYC right away, especially considering that I don't have much of an idea regarding what my salary will be like (I've been using a $30-$35k range in searches but that could be off by a good amount on both ends).

What I am considering doing instead is maybe getting placed somewhere close and saving up and then eventually moving to somewhere in the city when I can more afford it and when I have a more secure, stable salary figure. Maybe move to the city, and then slowly but surely make my way towards Manhattan/Queens.

My question though is.. What are some places close (around two hours away or less) to NYC that are considerably cheaper to live in? I'm not altogether familiar with that area of the state (I've been to Buffalo/Niagra region a few times) and I don't really even know where to begin. If I could just get the names of a few towns/cities/etc. then I would be happy to research them myself and look for living expenses and such, though I won't turn you away if you wish to expound on your answers.

I'm sorry if maybe this belongs in another forum as well, I just thought that some other resident NYC-ites might have gotten into the city through similar means and would be able to offer advice based on experience.

Thanks everyone!

Edit:

Also, would it be realistic to expect to find apartments in decent (as in safe to go out at night) neighborhoods for under $1500/month in NYC? I would like to be in the city as soon as I possibly could, regardless of borough or anything like that, though Manhattan would still be my ultimate goal.
It's absolutely realistic to find apartments for $1500 in "safe to go out" neighborhoods. NY is not really as scary as outsiders sometimes think it is. Queens has plenty of neighborhoods (including Astoria) where you can find something for this amount and maybe lower.

But I would suggest that a share situation might be best for you - if you can spend $800-$900 a month to rent in a shared situation, you can save money and also you won't have to worry about all the start-up things like getting cable internet installed, buying everything new for the kitchen and bedroom and living room, etc. and if you are lucky you might end up with some new friends. It would be a better introduction to the city than starting on your own. Plus if you have read some of the other threads, renting requirements are fairly strict and if you are only making $30K in a new job, you won't (most likely) be qualified to rent an apt for $1500 a month.

Have you read the real estate section on Astorians | Astoria New York, Long Island City, Queens West. for accounts of people's experiences and some listings?

Also, I don't quite understand if you were living outside the city, would you have to do your externship in NYC or would you also do your externship in that oustide city? If you are living outside of nyc and commuting in, the expense of commuting (yes, even a train ride) can be very expensive.

Have you considered Philadelphia? The rents are much more reasonable and you could spend one weekend day every week in NYC by taking the cheap chinatown buses that whisk you back and forth. Google "chinatown buses"

If you really want to stay in NYC, also check out Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. There are plenty of good threads with excellent info on rents there and what the commute is like into Manhattan.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:53 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
That was an excellent, well-written response by Henna and sure includes a lot of sage suggestions to assist the OP.

I would say that the OP is already ahead in recognizing that NYC does not equal Manhattan only but includes all the boroughs.

I can empathise with someone not wanting to go the roommate route after probably already having spent four years in college doing the same; unfortunately rent/salary/cost of living factors can sometimes make this the only option, initially at least, for those who crave the NYC experience.

If the choice is roommate or no NYC for the OP, he/she will have to make that decision based on their personal compromises and aspirations.

Also it's probably possible to rent a basement in Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx in a far out region that would meet the affordable rent criterion; and many owners of houses do not enforce the 40 times rent ratio. Or, perhaps the OP has additional sources of income that allows him/her to afford $1500 rent which would certainly get them a nice studio or one bedroom in a decent part of Queens.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks again for the replies. As for your question, Henna, if I lived outside the city I would not have to have my externship in NYC. I could have it wherever I lived.

I have been looking at other places/cities as well to act as an "intermediary" between getting into NYC. Rochester was one, along with some other places outside of NY like Charlotte, NC.

I really just want to get out of here (here being Birmingham, AL) as fast as possible. I just don't want to end up like a lot of the people I know and end up stuck here for good.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I don't know how you'll be able to afford to live on your own making 30-35k. You'll need a roommate probably outside of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City