Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM

12 posts, read 26,997 times

Advertisements

I was hoping I could get a bit of advice from someone who knows better then I do.

I am a twenty-six year old single mother of a six-year old little girl. I have full custody and am doing this all on my own. I am also currently studying to be a registered nurse. I recently ended a two-year relationship with a man that lives in Manhattan (I reside in Atlanta). Before the two of us split I was planning to move to be closer. Well obviously I am not with this man anymore but am still quite interested in moving my daughter and myself to New York.

I was hoping to get advice as to where a relatively safe area would be (lets face it, nowhere is "safe"), maybe a good neighborhood for raising a small child in. How difficult it is to make friends in my situation in such a face paced, busy city. I am also interested in any information on continuing my education. My goal is to continue my education until I reach Nurse Practitioner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:41 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Friends are pretty easy to make in this city. It might seem that everyone is in a rush to work, but once you go to someplace in particular, people are more than willing to chat with you. You need to be a little more specific with us though.. NYC is a huge place, and there's many places you can live. How much are you willing to spend on rent per month?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Thank you for taking the time to help.

I do not even know where to begin as far as price.

Looking at moving before, I had around $1500 for rent in my budget. I am not even sure if that is reasonable. I prefer to be closer to the city, but not right in the middle of the madness.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Well, if you're willing to live in one of the outer boroughs, then that's a reasonable price, and you'll probably have about a 20 minute commute to the city from most locations. Every neighborhood has it's own little unique touch here, so it's not exactly like a lot of the subdivisions you would see around Atlanta which tend to be somewhat similar.. is there anything else in particular you're looking for to help narrow the search? There's also a wonderful thread at the top of this board which I hope can help you.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM

The only other thing that seems to be a large factor is a location that is close enough to school and a good hospital where I can be employed. I haven't really looked at any type of school information for my daughter, but was hoping that if I found a good neighborhood then the school she would attend would be a good one as well.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
insideschools.org is a site that is recommended here frequently.

I have heard good things about the schools in Forest Hils, Queens. You might check there. It's possible $1500 will get you a one-bedroom, but not a 2-bedroom. There are hospitals in Queens as well but I really don't know enough about them. Forest Hills is a 20 minute ride on the express subway to Manhattan so it's not that bad commute wise (20 minutes after you're on the train)

Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 13,297 times
Default Brooklyn

Try craigslist.org
I live in Lefferts Gardens near the Brooklyn Zoo and museum, several hospitals are walking distance.

Good luck

Old 07-09-2008, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 35,690 times
there are tons of nice places if you just check out a few sites

Old 07-09-2008, 03:23 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
insideschools.org is a site that is recommended here frequently.

I have heard good things about the schools in Forest Hils, Queens. You might check there. It's possible $1500 will get you a one-bedroom, but not a 2-bedroom. There are hospitals in Queens as well but I really don't know enough about them. Forest Hills is a 20 minute ride on the express subway to Manhattan so it's not that bad commute wise (20 minutes after you're on the train)
Yeah, Forest Hills is nice and fairly convenient, and you can get a decent 1 bedroom there for under $1500. It is possible to find a 2 BR for $1500 - $1600, though that's the lower end of possibility. It's a good place to raise kids - low crime, and P.S. 196 is a good elementary school. There are 2 hospitals there, too (Parkway and Grand Central Parkway).

Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennynifer View Post
I was hoping I could get a bit of advice from someone who knows better then I do.

I am a twenty-six year old single mother of a six-year old little girl. I have full custody and am doing this all on my own. I am also currently studying to be a registered nurse. I recently ended a two-year relationship with a man that lives in Manhattan (I reside in Atlanta). Before the two of us split I was planning to move to be closer. Well obviously I am not with this man anymore but am still quite interested in moving my daughter and myself to New York.

I was hoping to get advice as to where a relatively safe area would be (lets face it, nowhere is "safe"), maybe a good neighborhood for raising a small child in. How difficult it is to make friends in my situation in such a face paced, busy city. I am also interested in any information on continuing my education. My goal is to continue my education until I reach Nurse Practitioner.
For a single mother with no family and close friends, in this city, it could be extremely difficult at the beginning because: you need to think in terms of finding a VERY, VERY, RELIABLE place for someone to take care of your child. You cannot depend on hiring some one just like that without checking their life history from UTERUS. THAT LITTLE GIRL HAS TO BE PROTECTED AT ALL TIMES. And it could be difficult to find reliable people to take care of your child, even if you have the money to pay, when you need them. You will need to take that child to school, and pick her up, every school day. Keep in mind there are a multitude of Holidays, and the schools itself have a myriad of them. If you were without a child, it would be much easier all around. There are plenty of safe areas in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island, to live so that is not a problem. Getting further medical education is also not a problem. We have multitude of colleges, since you will need a Masters Degree to become a Nurse Practitioner. The pay, undoubtedly, will be excellent. However, that is going to take a lot of time, and patience. And working, and going through college is going to take plenty of time away from your being a mother. Yes, it can all be done, if you have family HERE, to support you emotionally, but very hard to depend on friends to watch your child, when most people are running out the door, and when you have to be on the job at a certain time. I am also questioning, if your wanting to come to NYC has to do with relinquishing the relationship, AGAIN. You need to evaluate your priorities, and think issues over and over very carefully because you have someone very precious, depending on you. Good-luck, and God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City