Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay637 View Post
My scariest moment in NY was realizing that I was the minority.
Heh, now you know how blacks feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 33,540 times
Default Yvette

Quote:
My scariest moment in NY was realizing that I was the minority. Since I am a white american-born citizen.
Why would this be your scariest moment? Many of us live it everyday.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM

14 posts, read 33,540 times
I wasn't in Lower Manhattan but the large conference room window in my midtown office made the twin towers look like they were across the street. One minute the buildings were there and next it was just smoke and air. There was the realization that anyone left in that building was dead and then there was the realization that this was a terrorist attack and then, working in the same building as CNN and across the street from Madison Square Garden and three or so blocks from the Empire State Building, there was the realization that it could happen in midtown next (as the radio reports were sounding crazy with things like there's a plane heading to a Washington Strip Mall and there's a plane to who knows where and there are various numbers of planes missing).

After all of that there was the dawning that not only will we not get out of Manhattan but we may not see tomorrow. It was as scary as hell to think that by the day's end everything could be leveled. To add salt to the wound, two days after 9-11 (because no one went to work on the following day, especially not me as I had walked from midtown Manhattan to my home in Brooklyn, which actually borders Queens), when I did return to work along with most everyone else, at approximately 10:00 on the 13th, there were bomb threats all over the city. People were running hap-hazardly all over the place. They were running and screaming and crying, a group of people came pouring out of Penn Station at the 7th Avenue Station one woman came out crying and vomiting at the same time. Talk about scary.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 PM

96 posts, read 407,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
mine is simple: 9-11.
same

Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
It was when I moved to an all hispanic neighborhood and realized I was the only white person. I felt so scared and out of place and didn't realize what they meant by culture shock here....doesn't even feel like you're in the USA phew...
That sounds like the only USA I've ever known, and frankly it's the USA that would be familiar to a large percentage of the actual people who live in this country. In most major cities and now many suburban areas a latin neighborhood is not such a shock.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
My scariest moment in NY was realizing that I was the minority. Since I am a white american-born citizen.
where did you move from? and seeing as that one of new york city's nicknames is "the melting pot", meaning people of many different ethnicities live here, what did you expect?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-15-2008, 09:35 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times
It's not even like white people are the "native" people of this country... they came over from Europe, just like all the other immigrants and other children of immigrants in the US. Maybe I could understand Native Americans feeling like their country was "taken" from them, but white descendents of European immigrants resenting newer immigrants? I don't know about that.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
......1)When I got jumped on University ave and 183rd (University Heights) in the Bronx.......
damn what happened how old were you?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
damn what happened how old were you?
I was 14....and I was just walking through. Guys in the corner tried to size me up and they proceded to jump me for my I860 (nextel). The cops came but heard a report that a group of kids robbed and beat someone in Morris Heights, so they locked me up because the guys who did it ran away in time.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:02 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Hmmm the first time I took the subway.. I have this idea of the 80 and 90 crime in NYC... but after that I like the subway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City