Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm heading to NY in September, specifically for a boxing match at MSG and have been told to fly to Newark Airport and possibly stay at the New Yorker hotel since it is apparently opposite the Garden.

My question is, how far in terms of mileage is the hotel from the airport? Due to mobility problems, I can only get a taxi, not a bus so will have to pay the extra.

Are there any other tips in terms of distance and directions anyone can give me?

I have never been to NY before and I may be travelling alone.

As much information would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
It is not far in miles from Newark airport to the New Yorker, but the time and cost will vary greatly due to traffic. You may be best served by getting a car service, instead of having to stand in a possibly very long taxi line.

You can try
Carmel, CarmelLimo - NY Limousine Service New York City, Airport Limousine Services. Limousine New York City (NYC) & At NY Airport
or Dial 7, New York Car Service to LaGuardia, JFK or Newark Airports

The New Yorker is very close to the Garden, but it is not across the street. The Hotel Pennsylvania is directly across the street, but I've heard that it is a bit run down. I recently did a film shoot in the New Yorker and was surprised by how nice it is.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:54 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I'm curious to know why you were told to fly in through Newark. Couldn't you also come in through JFK? Then you could take the A train straight into midtown Manhattan--the 34 Street station on the A line is at Penn Station, literally right underneath the Garden.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm curious to know why you were told to fly in through Newark. Couldn't you also come in through JFK? Then you could take the A train straight into midtown Manhattan--the 34 Street station on the A line is at Penn Station, literally right underneath the Garden.
I was really just about to post this..
You could come from Newark if you really like, but the airtrain to the train will be a total of $7, which I'm sure is much lighter than whatever the fare of the taxi you were planning to take would be.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
the airtrain to the train will be a total of $7, which I'm sure is much lighter than whatever the fare of the taxi you were planning to take would be.
For comparative purposes, the last time I came through JFK, I took a taxi home. I live in the Midwood section of Brooklyn--the fare was just over $35. Figure it's going to be well over that if you're going to Manhattan. And probably quite a bit more than that from Newark.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 10,616 times
You could also take the train in and get a taxi from there possibly.. or fly into JFK

Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
For comparative purposes, the last time I came through JFK, I took a taxi home. I live in the Midwood section of Brooklyn--the fare was just over $35. Figure it's going to be well over that if you're going to Manhattan. And probably quite a bit more than that from Newark.
The poster indicated he/she had mobility problems and could not take a bus - i would think airtrain/subway may be a bit of a push.

Anyway - if you were looking at getting a taxi - the price of a taxi from JFK is a flat rate to anywhere in Manhattan of $45 plus tolls (about $5 for the Midtown Tunnel) and tip (you can skip the toll if you ask the driver to take the 59th Street bridge - whether he is willing to do so or not is another matter) - so about $55 all up.

According to the New Jersey taxi commission the New Jersey taxis which take you from the airport to Manhattan have a set fare - I don't know exactly where the New Yorker is but the pricing is dependent on whether its above or below 35th street. Between $50 + $55 plus tolls (the Lincoln Tunnel toll is $8) and tip. Its about $80 for the return trip as that far is set by the New York taxi commission.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Go with Newark,
Not only is faster, but usually cheaper..
airtickets from Newark are cheaper compared to JFK.
And the taxi cab is a flat rate.. here it is

New York City / Manhattan
Conveying one (1) or more passengers to any one point in New York City, Excluding Tolls.
Battery -- West 58th Street.....$40.00 -your rate is this one...
West 35th Street -- West 58th Street.....$45.00
West 59th Street -- West 109th Street.....$50.00
West 110th Street -- West 185th Street.....$55.00
Above 185th Street.....$60.00
LaGuardia Airport.....$65.00
J.F.K. Int'l. Airport.....$75.00
Additional $5.00 charge for all destinations on the east side of Manhattan between Battery Park and 185th Street.

Taxi should be 40, and a 20-30 min drive,, while JFK is 45 and a 1 hour drive.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,550 times
Thank you all for the replies here!

I now have a clearer view of what to do about getting from the airport. I'm flying in from London.

The last two posters both indicated that taxi cabs charge flat rates from the JFK and Newark airport although I'm still split on which airport to fly to.

I will be staying for 5 nights and have been quoted just over a £1,000 and that's for the hotel alone.

Does anybody know of any cheaper hotels around that area for under a thousand? 3 star would be fine.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Why so much??? almost 2,000 american dollars????? The new yorker is around 200-250 a night.. it should be 1,000-1,250 US about 550-650 GBP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City