U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 23,140 times

Advertisements

We're finding a lot of apartments right now in West Harlem (Morningside Heights) that are being rented for sub-$1500. Is this too good to be true? A lot of the buildings include parking (I was shocked) but again, it's too good to be true.

I forsee an apartment with poor insulation, astronomical heating/electric bills, several flights of stairs, lots of noise, in a bad neighborhood (NYT crime rating is actually 81, compared to soho 157 and the east village 117). In regards to the crime however, Morningside Heights is next to Columbia University (a good sign?).

Can anyone offer some insights?

Last edited by ashatumar; 01-18-2007 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 05:16 PM

137 posts, read 905,660 times
Where in morningside heights are the apartments. The neighborhood is constantly being extended by overzelous brokers?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,712,800 times
my mom had told me recently that Columbia is in a real bad area. It could have changed though.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:32 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,471,174 times
Here's a map of NYC neighbourhoods - it is clickable and you get some info on each community

http://nymag.com/realestate/articles...orhood_map.htm

What folks need to understand about a city as large as NYC, and as diversified, is that you can have one good block parallel to one bad block, and even one section of a city block upscaled and across the street houses that are run-down.

Does this make a neighbourhood good or bad?

It isn't that easy for me to say, Morningside Heights is a good or bad neighbourhood although I've been there, gone to zillions of meetings there, taken advantage of some of its culture and never had a single unpleasant experience. But it is from my POV.

I grew up in NYC and to me no neighbourhood is really bad--just some are more attractive, some have more services, some have bigger houses, some are closer to public transportation, etc. People will say East New York (Brooklyn) is bad. Yet when I had to go to East New York week after week for a program I was monitoring, the people were the friendliest, laughing with me, teasing me with good spirit and interested to talk to and with me about what was happening in their neighbourhood (it also had the best price on coffee, and no bagels). - So in the end a very run-down part of Brooklyn became a place I enjoyed visiting.

All the bad and good is often subjective. If I enjoy living in Carroll Gardens more than Park Slope, it is not because one is better--it is because I like Italian food, fresh, frequently and with good conversation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or