Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 PM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Even if it was legal,, and they did report it, making 55K a year.. is still unfair.
Yes, but if they are making it legally, then they would not qualify for the PJs, or am I missing something?

Quote:
You are talking about the first example.. but responding to the second example...

Sorry about that, what I meant was the abuse is from both sides, the Employer and the Employee. Both are supposed to report what is made to the IRS but I specified the Employer because if they report it the IRS would then go after the Employee.

Quote:
IN Manhattan??? 1,250 would be a studio... or less a room..

That is what I meant by someone choosing to pay more because they would be more comfortable living somewhere else. You can find apartments in that range in the Heights or in Inwood, if you look around. Would you want to live there is a personal preference but the apartments are there.

Quote:
Yes and this is true for all PJ, except the ones in Manhattan..

I may be wrong but I believe that the PJs in Manhattan have to follow the same rules as the rest of the PJs. To be honest, I really don't know that many PJs in Manhattan that are great as they have the same downfalls and issues that the projects in the other boroughs have, too me.

Quote:
Yes but this is your single preference,, and not the majority of the people... The demand for manhattan apartment are high.. so the rent is higher,, making living in manhattan a special thing...

True but I did explain that it was more of my thing then anything else. And I find that most people who move to New York want to live in Manhattan. I have not found many that grew up in and live in the boroughs clammoring for a Manhattan apartment.

Quote:
I dont have problems PJ...
Quote:
I just think having PJ where 80% of the middle class can rent or buy,, is unfair...
I hear what you are saying. My thoughts are based on me believing that Manhattan is not just a place for the rich but a place for all people that can find an apartment that is reasonable to them. But hey, I only work in Manhattan and have no desire to live there so I am probably biased in my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
ok well obviously from your example, the people in the pjs have the advantage...so whats your point?
And my example is a legal example..
My point.. we need PJ yes.. maybe not in Manhattan...

Old 07-18-2008, 06:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
And my example is a legal example..
My point.. we need PJ yes.. maybe not in Manhattan...
Everything you said before can apply to the outer boroughs as well.. why should Manhattan be treated any differently?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:02 PM

Yes, but if they are making it legally, then they would not qualify for the PJs, or am I missing something?
NO,, still the limit is 55,600, they still can live in the PJ with 55k

Sorry about that, what I meant was the abuse is from both sides, the Employer and the Employee. Both are supposed to report what is made to the IRS but I specified the Employer because if they report it the IRS would then go after the Employee.
Yes,, this is true... but then again,, how many ilegals are in NYC working??

That is what I meant by someone choosing to pay more because they would be more comfortable living somewhere else. You can find apartments in that range in the Heights or in Inwood, if you look around. Would you want to live there is a personal preference but the apartments are there.
Great.. and people in the PJ, are living comfortable in Manhattan making only 5,000 less

I may be wrong but I believe that the PJs in Manhattan have to follow the same rules as the rest of the PJs. To be honest, I really don't know that many PJs in Manhattan that are great as they have the same downfalls and issues that the projects in the other boroughs have, too me.
Yes they do,, they have the same rules,, but of course is it fair for people in the PJ in brooklyn vs PJ in Manhattan...
Or if my friend a dr.. lives in UES, payings like 3,500 for a one bedroom and 2 blocks away there is a PJ...

True but I did explain that it was more of my thing then anything else. And I find that most people who move to New York want to live in Manhattan. I have not found many that grew up in and live in the boroughs clammoring for a Manhattan apartment.
I am in the same boat... I am happy living outside of Manhattan(and I can live in Manhattan with no problem)

I hear what you are saying. My thoughts are based on me believing that Manhattan is not just a place for the rich but a place for all people that can find an apartment that is reasonable to them. But hey, I only work in Manhattan and have no desire to live there so I am probably biased in my thoughts.
Yes,, I know what you are saying also,, Manhattan for the rich sounds bad.. but at the same time,,, why should someone pay 6x or more for the same location(just 2 blocks away)???

Old 07-18-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Everything you said before can apply to the outer boroughs as well.. why should Manhattan be treated any differently?
Because of the extreme difference in rent...

Old 07-19-2008, 01:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
So you're taking the title of this thread to heart, and making Manhattan a literal Disneyland for yuppies based on nothing more than income?

Old 07-19-2008, 03:38 PM

34,004 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
let me educate you, like i have done to others previously on this topic.

first of all, do you even know why NYCHA exists?

it exists because the projects were built as a solution to overcrowded tenement slums, five points for example. if you are unfamiliar with the name, google it.

NYCHA developments were built on the former sites of these shantytowns. as hard as it seems to believe, yes, these conditions existed in manhattan!

so if the concept seems so hard for you to grasp, thats why projects are in manhattan.

you obviously dont have knowledge of the history of this city, or maybe you do, and you choose to ignore it. either way, you're not demonstrating true new yorker grit and courage. hell, even phillip drummond went to harlem in an episode of diffrent strokes looking for arnold and willis.

let me take you back to ellis island, the gateway to america, that welcomed millions of immigrants who called nyc home. these ideologies are the same that produces construction workers to build your prada stores by hand, the waiters who serve you at danube and bouley, the taxi drivers who break their neck to make sure you dont miss your first class flight to paris.

the projects were there before the gentrifcation began....nobody asked these people to move across the street from them, so why complain now? thats like somebody telling me the fire's hot, yet i stick my hand in it and cry because i got burned.

there are plenty of upper-class communities worldwide with no public housing in them. try beverly hills, that may suit your tastes a bit more, as in nyc, we welcome all. its a city for positive growth and achievement, and not such fantasylands like you desire. plenty of those on the west coast.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-19-2008, 05:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Brilliant post Seventh.

If I recall correctly, Manhattan by far has the most public housing of any borough. The first projects were built there too, in the LES (I think their called the First Houses). So Manhattan has a rich history with projects as much as they have with the recent gentrification. This is what Seventh was reffering too aswell. Manhattan wasn't always for the rich and wealthy. To me, its more synomous with poverty. Whether it be with the early immigrants living in cramped tenements in the LES or a Puerto Rican family living in East Harlem in 2008....Manhattan has always housed the poor. One of the oldest ghettos in the city (and anywhere for that matter) Harlem is located in Manhattan. So maybe in recent years Manhattan has "removed" its high crime, poverty filled image...but just 18 years ago, during the peak of the crack epidemic, Central Harlem was the second worst neighborhood (behind Hunts Point) in the city in terms of crime. In the 70's that area was known as Dodge city....for all the bullets flying around. Washington Heights is and has always been the gateway for drugs and other narcotics in the city. Im getting a little off-topic but the point is Manhattan has as bad a reputation as the Bronx or Brooklyn. Dont let the Trumps and the million dollar residents of the UES and UWS fool you.

Projects, crime, prostitution, poverty....it was all here. Manhattan was the first borough to have all this. In fact, if it wasn't for Manhattan there would be no South Bronx.

Also while not the same extremes...Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens have people there earning $70,000+ yearly. What makes Manhattan any different?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So you're taking the title of this thread to heart, and making Manhattan a literal Disneyland for yuppies based on nothing more than income?
Well I dont know about Disneyland,,
And yuppies are young people,, what about all the 50's 60's people living in Manhattan?? So no manhattan is not Disneyland for the yuppies,, i think yuppies make manhattan disney for them...

Old 07-19-2008, 05:28 PM

let me educate you, like i have done to others previously on this topic.

first of all, do you even know why NYCHA exists?
Yes,,, if you have read I am not against PJ...

it exists because the projects were built as a solution to overcrowded tenement slums, five points for example. if you are unfamiliar with the name, google it.
Yes I am,, i think almost everybody has seen the movie....
But today they are not slums like in the 1800's or early 1900's

NYCHA developments were built on the former sites of these shantytowns. as hard as it seems to believe, yes, these conditions existed in manhattan!
Yes,,,

so if the concept seems so hard for you to grasp, thats why projects are in manhattan.
That is the problem... is a easy subject to grasp a long time ago.. but right now this land are worth millions... and everybody renting around them are paying a lot more...

you obviously dont have knowledge of the history of this city, or maybe you do, and you choose to ignore it.
thanks,, like you have said,, HISTORY.....time you move on....

either way, you're not demonstrating true new yorker grit and courage. hell, even phillip drummond went to harlem in an episode of diffrent strokes looking for arnold and willis.
Ok, you lost me....

let me take you back to ellis island, the gateway to america, that welcomed millions of immigrants who called nyc home. these ideologies are the same that produces construction workers to build your prada stores by hand, the waiters who serve you at danube and bouley, the taxi drivers who break their neck to make sure you dont miss your first class flight to paris.
And what this has to do with the subject...

the projects were there before the gentrifcation began....nobody asked these people to move across the street from them, so why complain now?
Because like everything else,, things change...

thats like somebody telling me the fire's hot, yet i stick my hand in it and cry because i got burned.
OK,,

there are plenty of upper-class communities worldwide with no public housing in them. try beverly hills, that may suit your tastes a bit more,
I dont live in manhattan.. so dont use me as an example please..

as in nyc, we welcome all. its a city for positive growth and achievement, and not such fantasylands like you desire. plenty of those on the west coast.
Ok,,you really are not reading.. Again,, I do know the history of the PJ and I understand why we have them.. but have you seen my example and thing is fair??
PJ in the middle of one of the highest realestate in the US(and the world), including one of the highes realestate in rent is kinda unfair for everybody else that have to pay the REAL VALUE MARKET PRICE for the place while other almost live free....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City