Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times

Advertisements

New York means so many different things to different people which makes it a one of kind experience living here. Is the middle class getting squeezed out? Absolutely which is sad but it is what it is. Either you got what it takes to make it here or you gotta keep it moving. Its a interesting site to see white families coming off the Metro North at 125st walking side by side with the homeless man pushing his redemption bottle shopping cart. What a city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,396 times
I didn't get a chance to read two pages of arguing with theBoros, but he does have at least one point. Many NYers don't have much of a relationship with Manhattan unless they live in a neighborhood within reasonable subway distance or work there. My girlfriend is literally familiar with three places on earth: the Flushing/Whitestone/Bayside/Fresh Meadows/Little Neck area, the Roosevelt Field Mall bubble of LI, and the Times sq/Penn station bubble of the city. since I get around a lot more than her, I've literally introduced her to dozens of places in the city, LI, and even in Queens in only 9 months of dating. In retrospect, I'm glad my mom bothered to get me out of my house and go with her places and take the subway and stuff as a kid. I love my gf but she's a tad provincial which gets on my nerves sometimes.

On the other hand, I have to give those yuppies and college students credit for moving to Bushwick and Bed-stuy. I'm not scared of getting shot, I'd just feel more comfortable in a neighborhood with a mix of everyone instead of a neighborhood with a huge demographic divide where both sides have good reasons to dislike the other.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:55 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
TheBoros..I say you are not a "real NYer" as your hostility/disdain towards areas like Harlem, especially in 2008, are nonsense..as I suspect you could not afford to live in Harlem, yet you believe they are not "real NYers."

Change your name to "TheSuburbs" as your attitude is very bridge and tunnel.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 AM

536 posts, read 2,348,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
But everywhere else i've heard says downtown nobody says city. "Its yo im about to head downtown real quick" not "yo im about to go to the city" How u going to the city when u already live in the city.
That's a Bronx thing, the whole downtown thing, everyone in Queens, Brooklyn and staten use the phrases "the city" and "Manhattan" interchangeably, as in "Eh Imma head to the city, peace." Just felt like verifying that.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
Wow, I always thought people from the Bronx said Downtown because Manhattan is downtown. As far as I know, only people from the Bronx or Brooklyn would even use the term Downtown when talking about traveling, even though they are referring to 2 different destinations. When I lived in the Bronx in Wakefield, I must admit that I would say The City. Guess that was my Brooklyn thinking coming out. On the flip side, when I hear someone from Brooklyn say they are going Uptown I know they are talking about Harlem or the Heights.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
And in Brooklyn, "the city" means Manhattan...a holdover from the days prior to 1898, when Brooklyn was a separate city.

Also, I suspect that Bronxites use "downtown" to mean Manhattan for the very simple reason that Manhattan happens to be downtown from The Bronx--as downtown is used as a geographic identifier in New York, substituting for that much more confusing word, south, just as uptown stands in for north. (If you get on the subway in Manhattan and board an uptown train, you're heading towards The Bronx, not Brooklyn).

Old 07-16-2008, 07:28 AM

As a resident of the Bronx, I would say either the city or downtown to refer to Manhattan. The Bronx is more likely to say downtown because it is literally downtown.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
If only New York would follow Paris footsteps and demolish the housing projects (especially the ones in Manhattan) and relocate them all to Yonkers or somewhere in Bronx. That would be grand.

Let's re- name it Medicaid, New York or Welfaresville, Bronx.
Paris demolish its housing projects We don't know the same Paris, the Paris where I live has the such high demand for public housing that they can't do this.
(100,000 demand for inner Paris only)
Actually inner Paris and the city of Paris have the same size. It is that the city limit didn't change since 1860, so the so called inner suburbs are denser and more urban than most cities.
Just compare Paris with Manhattan, 92 and 94 with Brooklyns and Queens and 93 with the Bronx.

That a city become a disneyland for yuppies is a really bad thing, of course having wealthy district is good but being only wealthy the city lost its life.
When I see the Parisian new yuppies called bobo in Paris, the people who believe in "Amelie Poulin" Paris : a romantic Paris, wich look like at a village, without crowd, without black, arab, asian... So a Paris that never existed.
Inner Paris is view as a upper class city, but in reality the most populated districts are working class.
I quite happy to see that the majority of district don't look like at the 16th arrondissement, I have nothing against the 16th but it is quite boring.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Yeah what he said!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
What Materialism wants is a city without poor people, and has chosen to pick on New York, but of course that's completely unrealistic no matter which city you want to talk about. That's why you can't really take him (or her) seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City