Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
You seem to be one of the few intelligent posters on this forum.
Now that's just funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
YES IT IS.

AND I'm loving the yuppification of NYC. What's not to love?

New York is basically adult Disneyland and its such an name brand city. Clean streets, luxury amentities, the arts, the shopping (there are 8 Prada stores in Manhattan now) and the exclusiveness and luxury of it all.

Ill take the Marc Jacobs on every corner over those crappy and dirty Mom and Pop stores anyday. Give me the hipsters from Ohio over the ghetto Medicaid/Welfare public housing set anyday. I'll take "Eurotrash"and yuppies over thugs anyday.

I love New York.

I fear the future of NYC if the people moving here are all like the two of you.

Why is it so hard to understand that CITIES NEED MIDDLE AND LOWER CLASS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!! No one is contesting that cities are better without criminals and thugs. Do you even notice the people who are the backbone of the city? Do you notice the people that drive your cars, clean your street, serve you food, etc? Where will NYC be if all those people leave?

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 07-12-2008 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
Everything is fine, you're overanalyzing.

The wealthy and expensive cities of the world a la London and Paris have been doing just fine, so will New York. The wealthy aren't going anywhere. New York is getting better and better each year even as the prices go up. Manhattan is very desireable; if you weren't aware, the average price of a Manhattan apartment is $1,700,000+ and I highly doubt Manhattan will loose its cachet.

If only New York would follow Paris footsteps and demolish the housing projects (especially the ones in Manhattan) and relocate them all to Yonkers or somewhere in Bronx. That would be grand.

Let's re- name it Medicaid, New York or Welfaresville, Bronx.

Or better yet why don't we just take all of the poor people and drop them on a island somewhere so they are out of site and out of mind. Sound good to you Materialism?

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-12-2008 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
You know something? I'm not sure he's actually an elitist. I think he just makes these postings to watch the way everyone else reacts. Nobody could say those things and be serious.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 PM

I think he is serious; I think he has no touch with reality. He lives in his Manhattan bubble with no concept of how most people in the world live. His parents have probably handed him everything his whole life.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:59 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You know something? I'm not sure he's actually an elitist. I think he just makes these postings to watch the way everyone else reacts. Nobody could say those things and be serious.
I'm glad you think that way, but unfortunately, I have met people who act like that, and it's quite disturbing to me, actually.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:17 PM

21 posts, read 89,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I think he is serious; I think he has no touch with reality. He lives in his Manhattan bubble with no concept of how most people in the world live. His parents have probably handed him everything his whole life.
I fear that if he considers these comments too analytical, then he must be living in a bubble. I can't wait for the day these yuppies go into a Marc Jacobs/Prada store, only to find out it closed because they couldn't find any salespeople or managers who would work for them and attend their insufferable clientele at the low wages they pay. Does he have any concept of how the economy works? or how a business works?

Old 07-12-2008, 05:33 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Most of the people I have met who act like that, and who are so shallow, are nouveau riche poseurs, who have a severe lack of class and dignity. Although, it is lonely to live that lifestyle, since the friends will certainly turn on you as soon as your back is turned. Could it be designed to elicit outrageous comments? Sure, but there are people who do sadly act like that, some of whom I know and just pity.

I am not sure from which name I prefer the audacious postings, since I have noticed that they are very similar in language and style to someone who posts under another name, especially in their disdain for anything "mom and pop." Small shops in the city, i.e., mom and pop, are not all gritty and rife with crime, and some are far too exclusive to have catered to the likes of the self important, since they do not need to advertise their wares. And, someone who is truly elite need not worry about the average price of an apartment, or shopping for that matter, even going so far as to be bridge and tunnel to get to a trunk show, when there are people to such mundane tasks.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I guess I just figured that if he really is like that, why would he waste his time in this forum? He certainly isn't going to convert anyone to his views--and others who already look at the world that way aren't going to be hanging around here.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:05 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I guess I just figured that if he really is like that, why would he waste his time in this forum? He certainly isn't going to convert anyone to his views--and others who already look at the world that way aren't going to be hanging around here.
Some people think they can change the world, or they just like complaining. There's a lot of people who should probably not be on this board from their view of things, but alas, they're still here.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:48 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,396 times
Eh I smell a troll. I'm sure there are people who think like that, NYC=Manhattan + Americana Mall, but I don't know if they are intelligent enough to even work the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City