Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:09 PM

938 posts, read 4,083,143 times

Advertisements

As of late, the consensus on this forum seems to be that NYC is turning into a Disneyland for yuppies and their cousins, the yuppies. It seems that these groups are taking over large swaths of the city (Harlem, Williamsburgh, LIC, Astoria, Park Slope, Bushwick, LES, etc) and have their eyes set on new prey (Washington Heights, Mott Haven, etc). What nabes are ripe for gentrification? Who will receive an untimely death at the heads of gentrification

Is this true? Will NYC become a place of rich and poor? With the rich buying into once working class nabes and poor being chased out/confined to PJ's and or the Bronx ?

I don't know what to believe seeing as I don't live there, but reading this blog and various rants on here, it seems to be that NYC is becoming a place of huge wealth disparities, exacerbated by swelling numbers of rich/yuppie/hipster/etc.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 PM

842 posts, read 4,301,051 times
I think NYC as a whole will gentrify and become expensive. So will the suburbs. But there will be pockets of dense ghettos like Uptown/ BX/ YO/ Mt. Vernon - Bed-Stuy/ Brownsville/ ENY and isolated hoods like East Elmhurst, Far Rockaway, South Jamaica.

Whatever place that is not a ghetto, will gentrify. But the yuppies might be natives who return to their neighborhood after finishing school, esp in the outer boroughs/ suburbs

Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 PM

938 posts, read 4,083,143 times
What a harsh reality.

So places that aren't buoyed by public housing will become places rife with blandness: overpriced **** art, expensive coffee shops everywhere and swanky condos?

Completely devoid of character?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,310,239 times
wash hi is the next area ripe for gentrification, you get big rooms, stay in manhattan, and the rents are cheaper

eventually all of america will be rich people, and just poor people, with no middle class

Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,272,372 times
Yes, New York will tend to gentrify in prime locations, especially in Manhattan. I don't know that all of the residents who come with the increased prices could be classified as yuppies, however, since not all people who can afford to pay the prices of such areas fit the negative associations of this stereotype, and not all want the same bland places on every corner, removing any trace of the old city.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,586,127 times
It seems that way. I can def envision NYC being a town full of have and have-nots because to be honest with you there is really nothing for middle income people like myself. I have no prob with them cleaning up "edgy" neighborhoods but at the same time only doing it so people with money can move in and raise the rates so current residents can't live there. I seriously thought about moving back there after college but the rent/housing rates are too outrageous for me especially I could get a lot more bang for my buck in other cities like Atlanta where I plan to move to next.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,335,435 times
Hey at least its better than this future:

YouTube - Escape From New York Original 1981 Trailer

Old 07-12-2008, 10:32 AM

278 posts, read 1,183,876 times
I don't see why we keep having these post. "Yuppies" are the best thing to ever happen to New York City. They are the ones who are turning it from a crime ridden dumb to somewhere you can actually live without a fear of getting shot every other minute. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather yuppies than criminals running the streets. For those people who think New York is losing it's appeal you must be out of your mind. This isn't 1970's people. I'm sorry if the "yuppies" are driving up the rent but if you can't afford it then GET OUT. New York is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Haven't you came to that realization?!!? The city is rapidly changing and it's for the better. GET OVER IT ALREADY!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 AM

112 posts, read 324,947 times
YES IT IS.

AND I'm loving the yuppification of NYC. What's not to love?

New York is basically adult Disneyland and its such an name brand city. Clean streets, luxury amentities, the arts, the shopping (there are 8 Prada stores in Manhattan now) and the exclusiveness and luxury of it all.

Ill take the Marc Jacobs on every corner over those crappy and dirty Mom and Pop stores anyday. Give me the hipsters from Ohio over the ghetto Medicaid/Welfare public housing set anyday. I'll take "Eurotrash"and yuppies over thugs anyday.

I love New York.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:06 AM

278 posts, read 1,183,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
YES IT IS.

AND I'm loving the yuppification of NYC. What's not to love?

New York is basically adult Disneyland and its such an name brand city. Clean streets, luxury amentities, the arts, the shopping (there are 8 Prada stores in Manhattan now) and the exclusiveness and luxury of it all.

Ill take the Marc Jacobs on every corner over those crappy and dirty Mom and Pop stores anyday. Give me the hipsters from Ohio over the ghetto Medicaid/Welfare public housing set anyday. I'll take "Eurotrash"and yuppies over thugs anyday.

I love New York.
You seem to be one of the few intelligent posters on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City