Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times

Advertisements

Dude's been there forever, and it just seems a little fishy to me that all of a sudden there's all this focus on him. It seems to me like there are some moves being made behind the scenes to get him out of power. Anyone else picking up on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
I sure hope there is!! His time has been up for about 15 years...2008 is about CHANGE. He's gotta go!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I sure hope there is!! His time has been up for about 15 years...2008 is about CHANGE. He's gotta go!
I agree with you. He's gotten by on past laurels for far too long.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
It's true that he's been around for a long time. But he's probably New York City's best voice in Congress. If he goes, who's going to fill that role?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
If this is true, we will see it time. If it is, this is totally a case of what goes around, comes around. I saw a documentary some time ago. It showed how Rangel and some others used similiar tactics to bring down the Late congressman Adam Clayton Powell Jr. This is how Rangel came to power. There are quite a few Harlemites that would like to see Powell III, take over Rangel's congressional seat. Powell III's mother is Puerto Rican and he was raised there.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 AM

You think Rangel does anything useful besides usurp, exploit, and hustle? His time has passed....and there are NUMEROUS people that will fill his shoes and do a better job. He can stay home and enjoy his luxury rent stabilized apartments.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,251 times
I think that with Obama's ascendancy that the mostly white press is getting that black voters are not monolithic, that we don't all support the same old-school politicos, and that we are grateful for what those who came before have done for us, but that is is time to move on to fresh ideas and a fresh perspective and away from the victim mentality represented by folks like Rangel, Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I think that with Obama's ascendancy that the mostly white press is getting that black voters are not monolithic, that we don't all support the same old-school politicos, and that we are grateful for what those who came before have done for us, but that is is time to move on to fresh ideas and a fresh perspective and away from the victim mentality represented by folks like Rangel, Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson.
Would you put Rangel in the same catagory as Sharpton and Jackson? I am asking because most Harlemites feel that Rangel didn't do that much concerning housing and business opportunities for them until gentrification started. Then they feel that he sold them out. He is identified more with the establishment and status quo. Where as Sharpton and Jackson are something else altogether.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:30 PM

Agreed UpsDowns. Regarding Rangel, he is definitely "old school" in every way that one can be....he is all status quo and establishment...time for CHANGE!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 PM

877 posts, read 2,767,898 times
I don't know about the focus being on Rangel per se but it does appear that the New York Times is exploring certain things going on in Harlem. From the drum circle to Rangel and both issues with the underlying message of what people are paying for their space. Seems kind of curious but I don't know the reason for it. Time will tell, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: