U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,175,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I was just discussing the LA vs. NYC situation with a friend. It is still bizarre to me that the affluent and poor live together in NYC. It just doesn't happen in LA. They are on completely different sides of town.

On another note, interestingly, a NYC realtor told me that while white people move to the gritty urban neighborhoods when they're young hipsters, most leave after marrying and having children. I would be interested to know how many "grown up" hipsters with school-aged children are still living in some of these neighborhoods. To me, that would be the true test.
That's one thing that always interest me: when the day comes that the newcomers who only came because it was the hot spot what will happen to neighborhoods like Williamsburg, LES/Alphabet City, and Fort Greene? Will they maintain the reduction in crime over the decade or will it fall back into urban decay? Time will only tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:54 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,515,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
That's one thing that always interest me: when the day comes that the newcomers who only came because it was the hot spot what will happen to neighborhoods like Williamsburg, LES/Alphabet City, and Fort Greene? Will they maintain the reduction in crime over the decade or will it fall back into urban decay? Time will only tell.
I think the current thinking among real estate developers and certain politicos is that each cycle of hipsters will be replaced by another. Of course this will depend on NYC maintaining its status as a prime destination for young people, meaning that they must be able to get decent paying jobs and feel safe. I don't know if this can be consistently maintained. As you said ... only time will tell.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:45 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,258,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I can imagine that the forthcoming waves of newcomers will most likely be slightly more open-minded than the prior. I personally don't see gentrification in New York City reversing. Over time though the demographics of those hipsters will become more diverse. They are diverse now, but in 30 years they won't be majority white anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City