U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,193,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I'm assuming that you mean "brown faces" to be black people and non-white Hispanic people... You've got to be kidding me that there were only 7 out of 35 people on the subway at 175th street! LOL
Yeah I find this hard to believe. Maybe he meant 7 white faces?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:47 PM

536 posts, read 2,091,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Most of the white people still get off the #2/3 train at 96th. Usually I am the only white person that stays , or if the train is really full, there may be one or two others. I do see white people around the neighborhood though, maybe they are taking cabs or something.
Well who exits one car is not the best measure. Many times I'm the only white person left in my car after Union Turnpike on the F, but then when I go up the stairs at Hillside and Homelawn there's a decent number of whites waiting on line for the 30 and 31 buses, so I know I wasn't the only one on the whole train.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,664,335 times
You are correct, I should I have phrased it differently. I obviously can't see the whole train. I meant that I am usually the only white person, or one of few white people, in my car on the train after 96th st. But I ride it everyday, and everyday its the same, so I think its safe to assume that most of the white people are getting off at 96th b/f they get to Central Harlem and the Bronx.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 PM

127 posts, read 494,735 times
LOL. This thread is too funny with the 2/3 subway line white riders getting off at 96th st. I think its something all uptown riders notice. There are definitely more white people staying past 96th on the 2/3 line. To me a nice chunk stay at 110th St- Central Park North and a few get off at the other Harlem stops or go up to the Bronx.

I've seen more white people around my neighborhood and they're not the typical yankee fans going to see a game. Those I can tell from a mile away. Recently we had a community board meeting and I would say out of like 20 that attended, 7 were white. Some were actually long-time residents like me. It's cool, I like the diversity.

I think it starts with the cooperative buildings and then slowly trickles to apartment rental buildings. My sister lives in a rental building in the same area, near a few coop buildings and she has seen white people in the neighborhood and in her building. I just recently purchased a coop and the building also has many whites. Go me! Not because of whites but because I'm a new homeowner. LOL

To me it's only natural that white people are moving to the hoods. Not all white people can afford the ridiculously high rents south of 96th St. I mean for how long do you plan to live with roommates? The fact that they're moving to the hoods only shows how the hoods are being revitalized.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,672,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah I find this hard to believe. Maybe he meant 7 white faces?
Uh no. Once again, I am a she. And there were only 7 "brown" faces on my subway car. Have any of you been at the 181 stop on the A in the morning? It is the platform is almost all white folks.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,491,996 times
Default That's the point I was making earlier ..

with a tiny amount of hyperbole (excuse me for this guys, I'm an aspiring writer) that there are many, many more whites going beyond 96 Street. It's the economics and Harlem, e.g., has been changing demogarphically a lot - and not just because Bill moved in. There are significant numbers of whites heading home to Harlem, Washington Heights, the Bronx, Jamaica in Queens, Flatbush in Brooklyn, and the list goes on.

And there's no way they're heading in -10 degrees in January on 125 Street ro see a baseball game.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:25 PM

661 posts, read 1,000,252 times
large numbers of AA's have returned to their southern roots after being priced out of the city so in hoods with close access to the city (manhattan) whites are reclaiming their spot. On the flip side on the outer edges of the city you can now see more blacks in neighborhoods that used to be almost exclusively white. Its a reverse

Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,664,335 times
[quote=BronxPride;4536333]LOL. This thread is too funny with the 2/3 subway line white riders getting off at 96th st. I think its something all uptown riders notice. There are definitely more white people staying past 96th on the 2/3 line. To me a nice chunk stay at 110th St- Central Park North and a few get off at the other Harlem stops or go up to the Bronx.
[quote]

I have seen an influx of white people just in this past year. I always get a kick out of the white tourist that get so confused when the #2/3 runs local, they get on it thinking its the #1, then they end up at the central park north station, and you can tell they are like "oh ****"

I had a lady one time look at me and gasp and say "oh no is this the Harlem station" , I told her not to worry, she would be fine standing waiting to catch the train back down to 96th, silly lady.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastguy View Post
Now i was driving last night in bed-stuy..and say a few white females walking around the place...i was totally shocked..am A black guy and that place even scares me..wouldn't live there.....but I thought white people avoid all black neighborhood

Sheesh! There goes the neighborhood!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
LOL. This thread is too funny with the 2/3 subway line white riders getting off at 96th st. I think its something all uptown riders notice. There are definitely more white people staying past 96th on the 2/3 line. To me a nice chunk stay at 110th St- Central Park North and a few get off at the other Harlem stops or go up to the Bronx.

I've seen more white people around my neighborhood and they're not the typical yankee fans going to see a game. Those I can tell from a mile away. Recently we had a community board meeting and I would say out of like 20 that attended, 7 were white. Some were actually long-time residents like me. It's cool, I like the diversity.

I think it starts with the cooperative buildings and then slowly trickles to apartment rental buildings. My sister lives in a rental building in the same area, near a few coop buildings and she has seen white people in the neighborhood and in her building. I just recently purchased a coop and the building also has many whites. Go me! Not because of whites but because I'm a new homeowner. LOL

To me it's only natural that white people are moving to the hoods. Not all white people can afford the ridiculously high rents south of 96th St. I mean for how long do you plan to live with roommates? The fact that they're moving to the hoods only shows how the hoods are being revitalized.

I'm in the process of trying to get money together to buy the small apartment house my father grew up in off of Morris in the E 160's. I thought it would be nostalgic to own it, to invest in an area which has significance to my family and to be part of the Bronx Renaissance. The area appears to have changed a lot (for the better) since my grandmother passed on in the 80's.

My parents have told me all sorts of stories about how great things were in the Bronx growing up in the 40's and 50's. The left in the 60's as crime became more commonplace, the schools grew weak, and they wanted a safe place to raise their children. The Bronx will never be The Bronx of their youth, but I believe that it is a place which will soon be great again.

This time around the canvas will have many colors -- and I hope to be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City