U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:51 PM

9,835 posts, read 21,526,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I see plenty of whites now on the 1 train, whether I take it at 207st or 181st, former no go zones for whites.

Also I saw a white father and his kids enter my building at 3 am in the morning like a month ago. I know he lived here because he had keys. But I was very surprised. And yesterday, walking on University ave between 183rd and Fordham, I saw two elderly white women enter one of the buildings.

Now, supposedly Mott Haven and Melrose are also receiving "new" neighbors because of the new developments there. Im guessing Highbridge is also seeing some along the Concourse, thanks to the new developments and Yankee Stadium. My neighborhood is close to Fordham Oval (Co-ops), which has many whites, so that is why I think they are starting to trickle down.

I haven't seen many whites in Morris Heights. And the central Bronx hoods like Fordham, Tremont, East Tremont, West Farms, and Morrisania are for the most part unscathed. Wakefield is still probably close to 100% black, and I doubt this will ever change. Since whites have been moving to Bed-Stuy and Bushwick, we know that high crime and bad reputations will not be a detriment to there migration, so anything is fair game. It will be interesting to see, the demographics of NYC in 15 years.
Several White people live in my building. I'm not gonna specify where I live but to give you an idea I don't live far from the Fordham Road D/4 stops. Pretty much off the main shopping strip.

Oh and there's Asian people too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 04:54 PM

4,861 posts, read 5,920,318 times
I am interested on how the economy will effect gentrification.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,747,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I haven't seen many whites in Morris Heights. And the central Bronx hoods like Fordham, Tremont, East Tremont, West Farms, and Morrisania are for the most part unscathed. Wakefield is still probably close to 100% black, and I doubt this will ever change.
Well, as Chuck Berry sang, "You can never tell." Those neighborhoods--except maybe some of Morrisania--were solidly white up until the early 1960s. Anything could happen anywhere!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:07 PM

731 posts, read 1,791,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, as Chuck Berry sang, "You can never tell." Those neighborhoods--except maybe some of Morrisania--were solidly white up until the early 1960s. Anything could happen anywhere!
I'm not sure if that can happen. Areas like Morrisania, Highbridge, Morris Heights, East Tremont, and West Farms are becoming areas for the displaced Dominicans from Upper Manhattan.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:32 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,219,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I'm not sure if that can happen. Areas like Morrisania, Highbridge, Morris Heights, East Tremont, and West Farms are becoming areas for the displaced Dominicans from Upper Manhattan.
Morris Heights and Highbridge have been Dominican for a while. Dominicans from the west Bronx are moving into Morrisania, East Tremont, West Farms, and Bronx Park. I personally know a few Dominican familes that moved from the Heights or WB to those areas.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:13 AM

yes but has the feel of these nabes changed? That is the question right now! I dont think that whites are now choosng these nabes thinking that they will change quickly! The better get in now mentality!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:21 AM

do you think that it will change the demographics of the neighborhood?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,997,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Turn the clock back 50 years, and it would have been very strange to see a black person walking around in Bushwick. Or, as long as we're in Brooklyn, Brownsville! Things change all the time around here.
I was actually thinking that myself...how times seem to change some cities' race breakdown , based on many factors, for which
someday will change for the better for all americans.....

Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,747,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
I was actually thinking that myself...how times seem to change some cities' race breakdown , based on many factors, for which
someday will change for the better for all americans.....
I should say that I'm also amused by the general tone: look out! White people are moving in! The same thing white people were saying in the mid-60s, except of course they were substituting a different shade.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM

894 posts, read 2,062,622 times
im white and i live in the soundview area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City