U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM

390 posts, read 1,050,151 times

Advertisements

for some reason people seem to have a hard time believing that white people can be poor just like anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM

731 posts, read 1,789,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Morris Heights and Highbridge have been Dominican for a while. Dominicans from the west Bronx are moving into Morrisania, East Tremont, West Farms, and Bronx Park. I personally know a few Dominican familes that moved from the Heights or WB to those areas.
Same here. I've been seeing many Dominicans moving into my area as well as east of Prospect Avenue (ex-heavily Puerto Rican areas). Their businesses are popping up everywhere. The only downside is that 163rd Street is filled with taxis heading to Washington Heights (especially on Saturday nights).

Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,825,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, as Chuck Berry sang, "You can never tell." Those neighborhoods--except maybe some of Morrisania--were solidly white up until the early 1960s. Anything could happen anywhere!
Morrisania was white also, mostly Jewish with some African Americans and Puerto Ricans until the late 50's. That is why Colin Powell is fluent in Yiddish.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 PM

4,861 posts, read 5,916,532 times
Its not racism my wife is white. I think that many of us love the way that nys demographics are made up. Its what makes our city the greatest in the world. If you go to other cities you have middle income nabes that are all pretty much the same, rich nabes that are all pretty much the same and the ghettos that are pretty much the same, not just within the city in all cities except ny. These rules are pretty much universal everywhere else until recently! Just go to lower manhattan and see how all the nabes are becoming more alike. In ny you have nabes that are or were truly different!not really divided just by income but by culture all u had to do is walk a couple of blocks. This is something that many of us believe add the wonder of this city and hope it is preserved!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 PM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,825,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Its not racism my wife is white. I think that many of us love the way that nys demographics are made up. Its what makes our city the greatest in the world. If you go to other cities you have middle income nabes that are all pretty much the same, rich nabes that are all pretty much the same and the ghettos that are pretty much the same, not just within the city in all cities except ny. These rules are pretty much universal everywhere else until recently! Just go to lower manhattan and see how all the nabes are becoming more alike. In ny you have nabes that are or were truly different!not really divided just by income but by culture all u had to do is walk a couple of blocks. This is something that many of us believe add the wonder of this city and hope it is preserved!
The cultural thing is not quite the same because different groups of immigrants settle in different areas and the culture changes all the time. Areas that were poor have become rich. Areas that were middle class have become poor. I see from the post on this thread that some of the poor areas are returning to middle class. I hope that some really don't believe that an area has to be mostly white in order to be a good area.

It is nice to be able to buy the foods and different items like music CD's and DVD's in different languages, or other items or that celebrate different cultures in various nabes aroud the city. I hope this does not change.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:00 PM

52,652 posts, read 75,502,369 times
I'm from upstate and you are starting to see this even in cities Upstate. Syracuse has one of the poorest neighborhoods in the country in the Near Westside neighborhood, which is probably our most diverse too(Puerto Ricans, African Americans, poor-working class Whites(Irish, Slavic, Italian, etc.) and Native Americans). With help from Syracuse University, there is a initiative that is trying to bring artists to the neighborhood, as well as revamping housing too. So, this is something that is occurring across the country. Here's information about this:Near West Side Story :: Near West Side Initiative, Inc. :: Syracuse, NY

Syracuse SOA

http://walsh.house.gov/list/press/ny25_walsh/pr_070921D.html (broken link)

Syracuse University: Scholarship in Action :: Near West Side Story :: Near West Side Initiative, Inc. :: Syracuse, NY (http://www.nearwestsidestory.org/syracuse-university.php - broken link)

Westside Revitalization Plan | WTVH-TV CBS 5 Syracuse, NY | Local News (http://www.wtvh.com/news/local/9925037.html - broken link)

Home HeadQuarters, Inc. News :: February, 2008

Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM

328 posts, read 776,068 times
Affordable housing. We have a biracial president. He would not have been elected if white folks did not vote for him.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 AM

791 posts, read 1,211,335 times
I didn't go though all of this thread, but I'm about the only white guy in my hood, (Morris Heights section of the Bronx) and I never have problems. Except, from some of the younger foot patrolmen, who seem to think the only reason I could be there is to cop crack, or something equally unsavory.

Last edited by WildCardSteve; 01-03-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 AM

169 posts, read 372,722 times
every hood has a token white guy

Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 AM

791 posts, read 1,211,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
every hood has a token white guy
Ha, ha! That's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City