U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,227,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I didn't go though all of this thread, but I'm about the only white guy in my hood, (Morris Heights section of the Bronx) and I never have problems. Except, from some of the younger foot patrolmen, who seem to think the only reason I could be there is to cop crack, or something equally unsavory.
If you dont mind me asking....where in Morris Heights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 PM

894 posts, read 2,063,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
every hood has a token white guy

haha thats me in the bronx soundview area

Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 PM

56 posts, read 371,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastguy View Post
Now i was driving last night in bed-stuy..and say a few white females walking around the place...i was totally shocked..am A black guy and that place even scares me..wouldn't live there.....but I thought white people avoid all black neighborhood
I heard that there is a nice white population in harlem though they are mostly liberals....

Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 PM

56 posts, read 371,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
If you dont mind me asking....where in Morris Heights?
its in the west bronx above the highbridge neighborhood & west of the tremont neighborhood

Old 02-28-2010, 08:49 PM

10,646 posts, read 20,793,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA6TRAIN View Post
I heard that there is a nice white population in harlem though they are mostly liberals....
How do you know they are nice and mostly liberals?
And by liberals, do you mean "favorable to progress and reform" or do you mean some other definition?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 PM

631 posts, read 1,111,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
How long did people think that whites would avoid these areas? Why should this be something of note or an anomoly. Many of these people on these boards have a very short memory....the reality is most of this city, including the Bronx, was all white in the 50s and prior....this people of color phenomenon is recent, not the norm. It is ABOUT TIME that these highly segregated areas see other people besides themselves...as this extreme segregation has proven to be extremely detrimental to our society, and especially this city.

White people are entering the "hood" because the reality is, many "hoods" are really not "hoods" anymore, and are becoming areas of choice for a variety of reasons, including cheaper rents, proximity to the city, ethnic enclaves, and grittiness. Whites lived in the 70s and 80s in some rough areas in Manhattan (which are now "nice")....and this is no different than whites coming to the hoods in the boroughs. As of late I have been seeing an influx of whites into Mott Haven..and I am happy to see it, as it is long overdue.

Why is this a bad thing exactly? And for that matter..why is it okay to be resentful/annoyed/hostile towards white people entering "our" communities, but when people of color enter white communities and receive similar treatment, we shout racism, and paint whites as evil? You can't have it both ways people...instead of being insulting/rude/hostile/ignorant....you should treat them the way you expect to be treated..as a person, welcomed, and equal.

Amen. There's a similar thing going on here in Richmond, VA with white people moving into black neighborhoods. It seems whites have finally built up the courage to move back into the neighborhoods they fled after integration.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 AM

11,295 posts, read 16,430,063 times
I saw a group of French people (about 7-9 people) all were dressed in black, they asked me if they could put dollars in the bus or do they need change. I don't see how South Jamaica would interest French people, I think they were visiting someone because I saw them a couple of times that week and then never saw them again. South Jamaica isn't somewhere like Bed-Stuy or Harlem which are relatively close to the main part of the city, SJ is almost Long Island lol.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:16 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,506,936 times
these were not amateurs and they were neither alone nor there for social reasons.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,138,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA6TRAIN View Post
its in the west bronx above the highbridge neighborhood & west of the tremont neighborhood
He asked where IN morris heights, not where IS it, lol.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM

556 posts, read 1,249,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
these were not amateurs and they were neither alone nor there for social reasons.
Investors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City